357 Magnum LED Grow

• Thread starter Burned Haze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

weedgirl

dunit's first diary gave .9 grams pr. watt, and two main reasons for using LED over HPS is.

A: Power consumption
B: Heat exhaustion.

On the first note 0.9 grams pr. Watt is not that impressive for a grow using CO2 and a grow tent. I think it’s fair to say that experienced growers can yield that from HPS as well. And if you are running 3 x 600w HPS for flowering, you would need 10 X 357 magnums to get the same yield. Plus that would cost 7.000 USD$ and not save you 1 wattage of electricity. If I believed I could get 2 grams pr. Watt, I would buy 6 of these in a heartbeat. Really hoping for some more diaries (like sea of green or screen of green without Co2 to compare it to my own grows)

On the 2nd point, that’s super cool. If they burn with full brightness for 50K hours and does heat up the room, thumbs up to that, but that’s not worth 7.000 USD$ if u ask me.

Link to new ongoing diary: http://www.invalid.com/grow-journals/416863-9-purple-kush-under-360-a.html

Link to old finished .9 gram pr. watt diary: http://www.invalid.com/grow-journals/386508-hempstar-3-stage-led-grow.html

D

dunit

dunit's first diary gave .9 grams pr. watt, and two main reasons for using LED over HPS is.

On the first note 0.9 grams pr. Watt is not that impressive for a grow using CO2 and a grow tent. I think it’s fair to say that experienced growers can yield that from HPS as well. And if you are running 3 x 600w HPS for flowering, you would need 10 X 357 magnums to get the same yield. Plus that would cost 7.000 USD$ and not save you 1 wattage of electricity. If I believed I could get 2 grams pr. Watt, I would buy 6 of these in a heartbeat. Really hoping for some more diaries (like sea of green or screen of green without Co2 to compare it to my own grows)

On the 2nd point, that’s super cool. If they burn with full brightness for 50K hours and does heat up the room, thumbs up to that, but that’s not worth 7.000 USD$ if u ask me.

Link to new ongoing diary: http://www.invalid.com/grow-journals/416863-9-purple-kush-under-360-a.html

Link to old finished .9 gram pr. watt diary: http://www.invalid.com/grow-journals/386508-hempstar-3-stage-led-grow.html

.9 grams per watt was better than I've ever done with HPS and at one point I had that pretty dialed. Remember .9 grams per watt is 2.2 pounds per 1000HPS (which actually draws almost 1100 watts).

Also if you get a chance, have a look through my journal. Had a pretty serious nute issue in week 7 which is prime time to pack it on.

Not trying to make excuses.....just pointing out that .9 grams per watt from a bad grow is unheard of in HID circles.

I've still got 3 weeks to go on my current grow and already there's more bud than the first run.

Here's hoping :)

BTW you'd need 5 or 6 Magnums to replace 3 600HPS IMHO. Still not cheap but no where near $7K.

H

happyweeds

Hey Dunit,
I am a newbie here and at indoor grows. So a little info would be appreciated.
When growing with 357 Mags, do you run both spectrums (red & blue) thoughout your entire grow or do you switch off the blue once they are flowering?

HappyWeeds

D

dastinknug

What are the specifics of the 357 Magnum drivers? Half of the reds burnt out when initially turning it on; what would I replace the driver with? Does it matter on the type of driver? If I am right, the more power you supply, the sooner those LEDs die...ending with a cry Would I need to replace all 3? thx in advnc

Z

Zombee

What are the specifics of the 357 Magnum drivers? Half of the reds burnt out when initially turning it on; what would I replace the driver with? Does it matter on the type of driver? If I am right, the more power you supply, the sooner those LEDs die...ending with a cry Would I need to replace all 3? thx in advnc

I would think the best source of answers for those questions would be the manufacturer/supplier, right?

D

dastinknug

Unfortunately he has not given me any replacement among other things I am not going to get into.

Z

Zombee

Well, that sucks. Eliminates them as a potential source of future lighting in my book. Sorry you had to be the sacrificial lamb :(

B

BluntForce

Hey dunit, I'm new here and have just ordered a 357 (which I may not have done if I'd joined this site a few days ago) and would like to know if the post above (the one claiming all the reds burnt out when he first turned it on) is likely to happen as I have read they sort of warm-up so to speak before turning on completely. Also, I'm really stressing out as I am in the middle of returning a light I bought from Eshine who manufacture Cammie's lights so I'd like to know if you really think this unit you purchased was worth the $? I'm sorry, new here and I'm puttinga lot on you but I'm thinking of just cancelling my order before it ships if you think you would have bought something else in hindsight (Blackstar???) Please, if youy read this could you reply as I'm really stressing out here. Thanks mate. BF

D

dubbadub

I know the information u guys put up here is riveting at the best of time, but has ne one got the Magnum plus? and if so, is it doing the job??? C'mon, someone must know by now..

R

repoman

Regarding the A and B in your text, If you want a low electricity bill, buy a 250w hps, it will out perform the magnum led and will not give out much heat.

G

Guy Smiley

I have two on the way...will do a journal (since I have no job!)

C

CronickGB

"Regarding the A and B in your text, If you want a low electricity bill, buy a 250w hps, it will out perform the magnum led and will not give out much heat." gotta say Repoman ya must not of ever used a magnum if thats what ya think bud. got two myself, got 600w hid's, 1000w hid's and had 400 watters in the begining. The magnum 357's out perform the 600 watters and produce higher quality bud I've found. ended up with about 20% more yield from my magnums then the 600 watters, buds got bigger with the 600w, but were no where near as dense, and alot less of them then with the magnums. also instead of drawing over 1200wats, draws around 360 with the pair. after different tests I've done, and read about, can only assume the skeptics are those who have yet to try them themselves. Also have family with the magnum plus's (all licenced) and have seen those ran in comparison to the 1000watters, every time so far they have produced more then the 1000w hid's in 3 consecutive grows and have made believers out of me for sure. all in all, if ya have the funds to get them, their well worth it in my opinion. high start up cost, but pays off in the end.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

Why use 3W when you could use 90W? I keep seeing all these companies boasting about 3W chips, when that is not anything to boast about. Does anyone know what this light has to filter out dust? Dust will destroy any LED light that does not have propper protection. If you are growing with soil, with fans and don't have propper protection, good luck. Plant resin in a light is also not good.

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

I have been using my MagnumPlus for well over a year now. Never had a problem! Not one led has burnt yet. I have used it at full spectrum for 18 on and 6 off. Makes the most killer ladies before sending them out into our HI sun for flowering. I don't get much heat issues at all. Then again, its all a different method of growing here in the islands. We bend the rules the opposite way than the states. I have only good vibes for this led light for sure. Will be running a flower cycle in March to prove that the light can do it for sure. I also will be ordering the MagPlus2 to do a side by side with the Plus. Right now I am finishing some girls under them because of the rainy weather we been having. They do good when you need them to do that too. Plus, it beats running ac just to keep them cool in a tropical climate. At 40 cents a kilowatt, you best be using a light like this to keep it less costly. That is my personal experience with Magnums so far. BTW, them Blackstars do bud some rock hard nubs too. I did a full flower run and got some unreal results. That is how I know that led can do a good job for the watts it will pull. Until people take the plunge for themselves, there will always be skepticism. I took the plunge and will be years ahead with dialing in my grows with these lights. The longer one takes, the more he has to catch up, if you ask me. Technology has come a long way. We definitely don't do things the way we did 10, 20, even 30 years ago. Things only are getting better with all the technology out there. Just take a pick and roll with it.
Happy healing and growing. PL.

P.S. Who said growing was cheap to boot? Even beans are high priced for the best. Heck nutes can run you a wad. Even the soils are getting pricey. If we didn't want to spend money, we would be growing outdoors with the sun for free. Lol. Have a super week peoples. Aloha.

Analog

Analog

I've run a 357 magnum (original) in a small area 100cmx70cm and it did a really good job. However after about 2 months I noticed diodes were dying, fans were starting to make strange noises and the switch from veg blue to full spectrum wasn't working but it was on full spectrum so it wasn't a big problem. After trying to get the thing fixed (have replacement parts sent out) for 2 months with no reply emails other than one's stating I'd be contacted soon I gave up and switched back to HPS and sold the thing to a mate for $200. After speaking to several other growers I'd probably only buy a Lumigrow650 as a sole LED light and thats not going to happen until prices drop significantly. I am about to set up a new 4x4 tent though and I'm thinking of running a 400Whps/MH in a cooltube flanked by a couple of 100W LEDs though I have no idea which brand or whether that's even worth doing as a 600W in a cooltube would probably be a much less problematic route. I was really excited by LEDs but it now seems they are either super high quality and super expensive (lumigrow) or low quality yet still expensive junk (357mag etc.) HID is still the way to go for the average grower IMHO.

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

I've run a 357 magnum (original) in a small area 100cmx70cm and it did a really good job. However after about 2 months I noticed diodes were dying, fans were starting to make strange noises and the switch from veg blue to full spectrum wasn't working but it was on full spectrum so it wasn't a big problem. After trying to get the thing fixed (have replacement parts sent out) for 2 months with no reply emails other than one's stating I'd be contacted soon I gave up and switched back to HPS and sold the thing to a mate for $200. After speaking to several other growers I'd probably only buy a Lumigrow650 as a sole LED light and thats not going to happen until prices drop significantly. I am about to set up a new 4x4 tent though and I'm thinking of running a 400Whps/MH in a cooltube flanked by a couple of 100W LEDs though I have no idea which brand or whether that's even worth doing as a 600W in a cooltube would probably be a much less problematic route. I was really excited by LEDs but it now seems they are either super high quality and super expensive (lumigrow) or low quality yet still expensive junk (357mag etc.) HID is still the way to go for the average grower IMHO.
I saw a hybrid system made for what you want to do. Its in an ad here on the Farm. I think it was super grow led. Check the top banner ads. Go to their website and check out the hybrid section for Hps and that led. It looks like it could be awesome. Money to be saved in power consumption with the hybrid system. Happy healing and growing. PL.

Analog

Analog

Thanks for the info and good to hear you have had a trouble free run with the Magnum Plus. I guess that the second generation of their LEDs were bound to be more precisely put together and better thought out. I would have really liked it if my original 357 had have had the build quality to stay the course as the plants that were grown with it were beautiful. I just can't get past the bad customer service and the fact that several of the diodes on my light were 3 in one 3W's and not true single 3W output types. I can only imagine that your pulling very nice buds witht the updated light.

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

I been using my light to start and veg my girls to 3', before sending them outdoor. I also am using it right now to finish my girls for the last 2 weeks. Its been raining a lot and it has saved my behind. The girls are looking beautiful under the led. I will post some pics in the future of both models when I situate myself in my new place. Hope that hybrid system will make some sweet stuff.
Aloha. PL.

G

GreenGuyLED

Is it just me or does anyone else find lush lighting guys ad dropping really annoying?

Top Bottom