4 1000w Lights= 32 Amps+/-. 15 Amp Breaker Problem

• Thread starter enTerpreneur
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bubba kush

Bubba kush

Put a bigger breaker in and what volts are you calculating your amps at.

BTW I think in the grow room design and set up area we have an electrician that will answer your question the correct way.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I've ran 4 1000 watts on a 30amp breaker no problem.

LI grows

LI grows

If you have a 15amp breaker, you probably have 14 gauge wire and thats not suitable 4-1000 watt lights.
The only way is to run new wire.
The purpose of the breaker is to shut the power before the wire melts
14 gauge is for 15 amp
12 gauge is for 20 amp
10 gauge is for 30 amp
Typically 30amp is 220v and devices require less amps at 220v.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Do NOT simply swap the breaker out. You can and possibly will burn your crib down. If you upgrade the breaker, you MUST also upgrade the wiring.

If you do NOT have precise and sound electrical advise, please do not give it.

Bubba kush

Bubba kush

Do NOT simply swap the breaker out. You can and possibly will burn your crib down. If you upgrade the breaker, you MUST also upgrade the wiring.

If you do NOT have precise and sound electrical advise, please do not give it.
That is why I said ask the electrician. When I had my sub panel put in they added a 60 amp breaker specifically to my power box that came with the proper wiring. The electrician was very specific on adding extra plugs with 15-20amps for fans and such. Most definitely get an electrician especially if you have an older home.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

If 4 lights are 32 amps then you are probably running them on 110/120?You could cut your amp draw in half by adding a 220/240 circuit if you have room in your panel and just leave the existing circuit to run other stuff.Also if your running 4 1ks you must be running some a/c and that requires close to the same amps as the lights right?Or is this just a fantasyland post?If its not you need to do some reading.

ken dog

ken dog

I figure it like this...

20 amps x 110 volts equals 2200 Watts... X 80% equals 1760 watts...max.
you could use 120 volts... Which means 120 x 20 amps, equals 2400 Watts... X 80% which equals 1920 Watts...max.

LI grows

LI grows

I just read the label on the ballast. I believe its 9amp for the 1000watt @120v. So 2 are 18amp.
That gives you a 10% Factor of Safety. I believe they recommend 20%.
I run 1600 on a single 20amp breaker as well as an exhaust fan and co2 controller.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Calling 10% a safety factor is wrong,20% MINIMUM is a safety factor.This is due to the fact that things can spike at startup and pushing your wiring,breakers and outlets to the bitter end will only lead to bad things,not sure why everyone has such a hard time understanding this?Would you get in your car and fire it up and then drive it wide open throttle everywhere you went and expect it to be ok?
This is common sense guys.

Top Bottom