4-site / 5k watts vertical (DIY- UC x MPB)

• Thread starter ALLegal420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Looks more like a DIY UC than a MPB, but I like it. I think that it has a better chance of running well as a UC style anyhow. Cages on the lights are a good idea. Have you wet tested it yet?

-TF

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
The white room looking sweetoooooooo
Like the cages around those verts. Great idea.
Are your fans that sit below for blowing straight up on the verts.?
Whens the move in date?

Thanks, I saw someone else do the light cages and fencing to hang lights and allow for easy movement in another thread and liked the idea's. It was pretty inexpensive and easy to do (the g/f actually did the cages and did an awesome job!).

Yea the fans are gonna blow straight up on verts, have 5 fans for the 5 lights. Plus 4 more on the walls.

Hopefully in 1-1/2 weeks or so...

-ALLegal420

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Looks more like a DIY UC than a MPB, but I like it. I think that it has a better chance of running well as a UC style anyhow. Cages on the lights are a good idea. Have you wet tested it yet?

-TF

TF, yes it is more of a DIY UC... Less parts to fail and should be easier to deal with. What do ya mean with running well as a UC over MPB, I remember you ran MPB so little curious now. We should be wet testing it tomorrow afternoon.

-ALLegal420

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

The UC's superiority lies in the fact that the pipes are 100% submerged in solution the whole time. The drain pipes of the MPB are near impossible to clean easily and are much more susceptible to fungi and bacteria growth. It's in the non submerged portion of the drain pipes that was the achilles heel.

-TF

ttystikk

ttystikk

Nice clean setup. Definitely will be looking in on this on a regular basis!

T

turboz

A few updates for this room. Everything is ready to rock, all temps/co2/humidity are in check. Just have to wait probably 7-10 days for the little lady's to develop a good root system, then 3 lights will go on, a few more days after that all 5. Usually the clones go straight into the 6" rock wool cubes, but these went to 2" then to the 6". Everything else is in dirt, and will be compared against each other to see if a different strain would work better in this system.

Mon1
Mon3
Mon2
ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for posting up the pics, mine sucked! lol

M

mrdizzle

just realized those are your pics? or maybe they are with a different user name, but

looks good man

since your starting your veg in the room, I will suggest switching to over head lighting until your plants are 2ft tall, then go back to vertical lighting, otherwise veg takes a very long time with vertical lighting in this situation

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
just realized those are your pics? or maybe they are with a different user name, but

looks good man

since your starting your veg in the room, I will suggest switching to over head lighting until your plants are 2ft tall, then go back to vertical lighting, otherwise veg takes a very long time with vertical lighting in this situation

Hey mrdizzle, sorry for the confusion, turboz is one of the other guys involved in this and had better pics than I did. We are lucky to have the group of people working on this and combining knowledge and resources. It's been an interesting and fun endeavor so far! I have learned a lot so far and looking forward to learning much more as we go, thank you for everyone's input so far!

Thanks for the heads up on running horizontal lighting for the veg process... we will switch it up and have 2-1000w horizontal lights with hoods (1 ea. for 2 plants). What kind of distance from the plants would you recommend?

Thanks for the info mrdizzle!!

-ALLegal420

M

mrdizzle

Start them high, and move them down daily, within 4-5 days you would be able to get them 2ft or so, but its always best to avoid shock at all cost

plants just seem to veg really slow from vertical lights when they are tiny, should speed up your veg time a couple weeks easy with the overhead

good luck bro

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
We have a fish tank smell in our main reservoir... is this normal or something we should be concerned about? It's been there since about day 2 of filling the system and running it. We've done a flush and it is still there....

Thanks,
ALLegal420

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Start them high, and move them down daily, within 4-5 days you would be able to get them 2ft or so, but its always best to avoid shock at all cost

plants just seem to veg really slow from vertical lights when they are tiny, should speed up your veg time a couple weeks easy with the overhead

good luck bro

Thanks mrdizzle, we are switching up the lighting tomorrow... with 40" centers we are going to flip them at 24" tall.... sound good to you?

Thanks,
ALLegal420

ttystikk

ttystikk

Here fishy, fishy...

We have a fish tank smell in our main reservoir... is this normal or something we should be concerned about? It's been there since about day 2 of filling the system and running it. We've done a flush and it is still there....

Thanks,
ALLegal420

I looked but didn't see where you mentioned if you're running a sterile or organic approach in your RDWC. If you're running sterile, then hit it with H2O2because that's definitely an organic sort of smell. On the other hand, if you're running organic nutrients that could also be the source of the odor.

In my RDWC, I run DM zone at bottle recommended strength, not quite the minimum but not maximum either. I also do preventative dosing of H2O2 occasionally. I use JRPeters nutrients, and nothing organic in the water. If it smells fishy, I dose it with H2O2, or dump it and start fresh.

Everyone's setup is an individual, I'm hoping to learn from yours with an eye toward following in your footsteps with my next buildout!

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
I looked but didn't see where you mentioned if you're running a sterile or organic approach in your RDWC. If you're running sterile, then hit it with H2O2because that's definitely an organic sort of smell. On the other hand, if you're running organic nutrients that could also be the source of the odor.

In my RDWC, I run DM zone at bottle recommended strength, not quite the minimum but not maximum either. I also do preventative dosing of H2O2 occasionally. I use JRPeters nutrients, and nothing organic in the water. If it smells fishy, I dose it with H2O2, or dump it and start fresh.

Everyone's setup is an individual, I'm hoping to learn from yours with an eye toward following in your footsteps with my next buildout!

ttystikk, we are running a sterile system and will be picking up some of those additives for sure! Thanks for following along

So we flipped 2 of the lights to horizontal

Also might have pm :-( Will have pics up tonight... If we do have pm what's your thoughts? Physan20 or some other additive or milk/water method? Or should we start over? Unfortunately we have decent sized plants in soil that if we start over will either need to be cut down or go into another room in the house. Which the pm might spread and get back in the room again after we clean and bomb and then clean again... Like I said, will have pics up later to see what u guys think.

-ALLegal420

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Picture Time....

If you blow decently hard on it, it will blow off.... Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks,

ALLegal420

P1
P2
P3
P4
P5
P6
P7
P8
ttystikk

ttystikk

I don't have any experience with physan 20, but I've used several other methods;

1. Serenade- this is a live bacterial culture spray, designed to eat the PM. It's best if you spray it before the PM starts taking over. It's stinky...

2. Potassium bicarbonate- this acts just like baking soda to raise the pH of the leaves you're spraying it on, to make them inhospitable for the PM to grow. Again, it works best if you get on it early. Bonus; this adds potassium to your plants, which is a nutrient.

3. Eagle 20- this is not organic, but it's the most effective. Mix according to instructions (a little goes a long way!), and spray on the plants thoroughly drenching them, like you do with the above options. This stuff nails the PM and it stays gone. The MSDS says it can be used on food crops up to a couple days before harvest, but I would try not to use it past the first week or so of bloom, and preferably you want to have it eradicated long before then!

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't have any experience with physan 20, but I've used several other methods;

1. Serenade- this is a live bacterial culture spray, designed to eat the PM. It's best if you spray it before the PM starts taking over. It's stinky...

2. Potassium bicarbonate- this acts just like baking soda to raise the pH of the leaves you're spraying it on, to make them inhospitable for the PM to grow. Again, it works best if you get on it early. Bonus; this adds potassium to your plants, which is a nutrient.

3. Eagle 20- this is not organic, but it's the most effective. Mix according to instructions (a little goes a long way!), and spray on the plants thoroughly drenching them, like you do with the above options. This stuff nails the PM and it stays gone. The MSDS says it can be used on food crops up to a couple days before harvest, but I would try not to use it past the first week or so of bloom, and preferably you want to have it eradicated long before then!

ttystikk, ended up picking up a pre-mixed organic tea to spray on the plants, it was home brew, inexpensive and the guy swore by it. Powdery mildew has been going around big time this year, he had it and this took care of it so we'll see. They have a potassium bicarbonate product there as well and PM wash but no eagle 20 in town. We'll give this a couple days and see if it comes back, have some options so I'm happy and optimistic... Thanks for all the info and I'll have some pics coming soon!

-ALLegal420

ttystikk

ttystikk

ttystikk, ended up picking up a pre-mixed organic tea to spray on the plants, it was home brew, inexpensive and the guy swore by it. Powdery mildew has been going around big time this year, he had it and this took care of it so we'll see. They have a potassium bicarbonate product there as well and PM wash but no eagle 20 in town. We'll give this a couple days and see if it comes back, have some options so I'm happy and optimistic... Thanks for all the info and I'll have some pics coming soon!

-ALLegal420

One more thing about PM to keep in mind; it's an adaptable little bitch to get rid of. I would keep several different weapons in your arsenal to deal with it and rotate between them so it doesn't get a chance to build resistance.

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
One more thing about PM to keep in mind; it's an adaptable little bitch to get rid of. I would keep several different weapons in your arsenal to deal with it and rotate between them so it doesn't get a chance to build resistance.

Thanks for the heads up, we will have a few different options on hand for if/when they build resistance.

-ALLegal420

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Picture Time...

Some roots have finally hit the water so looking forward to things taking off here soon!!

P1
P8
P6
P7
P5
P3
P2
P4
Top Bottom