400 Watt Digital HID, Bulb Change Needed After 4-6 mos.

• Thread starter Sinner D
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sinner D

Sinner D

I started cultivation in Nov. of last year. Like many of us, I did it "flying by the seat of my pants". I think that learning by trial and error is just par for the course when it comes to growing Cannabis. I've learned much from this site, as I have from many free publications from my local hydro store, and buying a few books too. But recently, I learned first hand that everything that I had read about a HID bulb losing a percentage of it's brightness and effectiveness was in fact true.
I purchased my first 400 Watt sodium bulb back in the middle of January. It wasn't the most expensive bulb, with an output of 54,000 lumens, but I couldn't afford an extra $20.00, or in some cases $40.00, for another 2,500 to 6,000 lumens. As the highest digital 400 Watt bulb (that I've found) is 60,000 lumens and costs roughly $60.00 when purchased online. At my local hydro store, the price is much closer to $100.00.
Of course, we only get what we give when it comes to an indoor garden, but for a starter I've been happy with my first two harvests being over 2 ounces per plant and in some cases closer to 3 ounces. That's after being dried. But after 4 months I started to notice a difference. I started seeing my cola's lose girth. I haven't changed much in the way of nutrients. I've added some AN Overdrive during week 5-6 of flowering, and sometimes some Kool Bloom from GH, or Bloom Booster from BCuzz. But never have these had a negative effect of course. However, I don't think that they can do their job as well with a reduction in the light output. By the six month mark of using my cheap ass $18.00 SHID bulb, I went ahead and ordered a new one. It's quite obvious with the lack of size gained in week 3 through 5 of bloom, (not the lack of flower density or terpine production) as opposed to my first two harvests, that it was time for a new bulb two months ago!
So the new one is on the way, and I know now that at my 4 month mark is when I need to see to it that the bulb is changed. However, in the near future, I want to purchase a new 600 Watt digital ballast set up. My question to all who may have read this is: Have you found that this is also the case with higher wattage fixtures, ballasts? Do you have a favorite brand of bulb that you like because you don't see a reduction in output the same as you have with another brand? And what can I expect with not only optimal training, medium, nutrients, and atmosphere, but a higher wattage fixture in the way of yield? Let me have it!! I want to know what my fellow farmers, novice and pro alike know in the way of optimal lighting in respect to different bulbs and equipment.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

We sell 3 types of bulbs at the stores, cheap (what you bought) Regular and high end. There are a number of differences in the bulbs, how they are made, how they are assembled and quality of materials. Most growers don't believe in tomorrow so they buy cheap. Now the med growers and serious growers buy better bulbs because they last longer and the lumen drop and spectrem drop out is very gradual. I run Hortilux EYE 10000w and 600 and 400. They cost more but are just a better bulb. Hortilux make their own chemicals for the bulbs and they are the best in the industry. All other bulb manufacturers buy the chemicals from any number of manufactures and most of the time it is based on price, that's the difference.

So if you need to buy a bulb every 4 months = 3x19.99 = 60$ just buy one good bulb and it will last a year but give you better growth = bigger yield

The way I justify purchases is by return, so if you go to a better bulb and get say 1/2 oz more = 100$ x 4 crops a year = 400$ more you make on you 60$ purchase. so you net 340$ to buy a bigger light.

It's a no brainer, IMHO

Peace

Sinner D

Sinner D

Thanks for the tip woodsmaneh. It's always a good to hear from you on most all matters. I will be moving (again) in a little more than a week and I plan on outfitting two separate rooms, one for grow and one for bloom. As soon as I can after the move, I will be outfitting the flowering room with either two 600 watt light fixtures, or two 1,000 watt fixtures. Depending on when I get the money. But I will be keeping what you said in mind when I buy the bulbs for these two new fixtures, as I would like very much to only have to buy one bulb a year and see consistent results the whole time through. I have used a Horitlux EYE bulb, MH, for a short period of time, as it was used and came with the 400 watt fixture I bought on Craigslist. It wasn't a very high lumen output, but it did well to veg my plants. Peace and let the good strains grow!!

Top Bottom