450W LED light for a 2x2.5 tent

• Thread starter sicoroot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sicoroot

Hello growers,

I'm about to start a new grow using a new tent, Gorilla grow tent 2 by 2.5 ft. I want to utilize a spider farmer sf4000 450W LED lamp that I had used before in a 4x4 ft grow tent.
It's a bit overkill for a 2x2.5 but I was hoping not to buy another lamp for the smaller tent.
The lamp itself fits fine within the tent, my question to the community is more about how much would you dim the light since this model is more intended for a bigger grow space ?
thanks !

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
my question to the community is more about how much would you dim the light since this model is more intended for a bigger grow space ?
I ran a 240-watt light in my 2x2 tent until I just replaced it. I never had it higher than 60%. I had a wattage meter at the outlet, so I knew just how much power I was using. That helped a lot.

Using the 30 watts per square foot rule of thumb, you'd want to use a maximum of 150 watts for your 5 sq ft of floor space. (2.5*2=5 and 5*30=150) That's probably about the maximum.

S

sicoroot

I ran a 240-watt light in my 2x2 tent until I just replaced it. I never had it higher than 60%. I had a wattage meter at the outlet, so I knew just how much power I was using. That helped a lot.

Using the 30 watts per square foot rule of thumb, you'd want to use a maximum of 150 watts for your 5 sq ft of floor space. (2.5*2=5 and 5*30=150) That's probably about the maximum.
thanks for the info, would this be used throughout the cycle or as a max level at flowering with a bit lower level for seedling and veg ? So in my case I can have the light slightly below 50% of power at max and maybe 30-35% for seedling and veg ..?

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I'd hang the light as high in your tent as you can. If you're in soil, not supplementing CO2, and watering by hand, I'd assume you'll finish around 150 watts (30W/ft²). I'd start dimmed down to 35W, and bump the intensity as the plant asks for more (when it's praying an hour before lights-out). Lots of ways to grow...that's just what I'd try.

S

sicoroot

looking forward to try this tent out...first time growing in such a small space, 2 plants in 5 of 7 gal pots, organic soil

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
thanks for the info, would this be used throughout the cycle or as a max level at flowering with a bit lower level for seedling and veg ? So in my case I can have the light slightly below 50% of power at max and maybe 30-35% for seedling and veg ..?
The older a plant gets, the greater the light intensity it can handle. So, seedlings can only tolerate relatively little light, while flowering plants can benefit from a lot. Currently, my 240-watt light's wattage meter is reading 45 watts for my seedlings.

S

sicoroot

The older a plant gets, the greater the light intensity it can handle. So, seedlings can only tolerate relatively little light, while flowering plants can benefit from a lot. Currently, my 240-watt light's wattage meter is reading 45 watts for my seedlings.
thanks that's a good wattage reference, I was planning to keep it quite dimmed for the seedling stage then raise it as plants grow and monitor for any sign of stress

Dr.Ozzy

Dr.Ozzy

I have this tent, a "shorty" model, and have done several runs in it, with different lights- very flexible. I like the single pot, net it to help with height approach. You can run the big light in there- and sounds like you are on top of watching the level- I landed on a Spider Farmer G3000 for it this last run. got it second hand on the marketplace. Killer tent!

S

sicoroot

excellent, that is good to know. First time for me trying a small tent like this, I was deciding on the number of plants ...1 or 2. I haven't received the tent yet, will be here in a couple of days. The model I ordered has the 1ft extension, it should help to manage light distance and heat better. Seems perfect for 1 plant opened up with the trellis net, so maybe the 2 plants approach would be for the variety rather than more yield of the same strain. A thick single plant can do more than 2 smaller ones sometimes. At the moment I've planted Jack Herer and White Widow, I haven't checked yet if they might be compatible from a height/shape/flowering time point of view..i guess I'll make them work some how.

Dr.Ozzy

Dr.Ozzy

excellent, that is good to know. First time for me trying a small tent like this, I was deciding on the number of plants ...1 or 2. I haven't received the tent yet, will be here in a couple of days. The model I ordered has the 1ft extension, it should help to manage light distance and heat better. Seems perfect for 1 plant opened up with the trellis net, so maybe the 2 plants approach would be for the variety rather than more yield of the same strain. A thick single plant can do more than 2 smaller ones sometimes. At the moment I've planted Jack Herer and White Widow, I haven't checked yet if they might be compatible from a height/shape/flowering time point of view..i guess I'll make them work some how.
yes, I did a single Bubba cross in a 5g. without a net, then a Mazar/Skunk cross but with a net in larger pots after from clone. tried Autopot in it, a 15g. lowrider bag from Rain Science in it, and another model of the Autopot this last run in it- super versatile little tent- you have the regular tall version so you should have great options like you mentioned- look forward to seeing the posts- 👍🤘

S

sicoroot

yes, I did a single Bubba cross in a 5g. without a net, then a Mazar/Skunk cross but with a net in larger pots after from clone. tried Autopot in it, a 15g. lowrider bag from Rain Science in it, and another model of the Autopot this last run in it- super versatile little tent- you have the regular tall version so you should have great options like you mentioned- look forward to seeing the posts- 👍🤘
wicked, sounds like I can experiment a bit with it...quality if the tent seems great. How many fans are you able to place ? I have small clip in fan and another small floor standing one, that I used to place in front of the bottom air intake port on my 4x4 older tent to help pull air from that opening. It's a quite slim fan, let's see how it fits. The exhaust fan is a 6" that should pull plenty of air exchange for such tent volume, I wasn't using it at full range on the 4x4 tent.
Right now seeds just germinated in paper towels, put them in ground 36 hrs ago and now I'm starting to see them raising the cotyledon leaves and opening. Exciting moments, 3 jack herer and 2 white widows. I planted more bcs I wasn't sure of how alive the seeds were, I had them for some time in the fridge. they showed good germination rate and speed. Will keep 3 or 4 plants in veg phase until spring, them transition them outside

Dr.Ozzy

Dr.Ozzy

wicked, sounds like I can experiment a bit with it...quality if the tent seems great. How many fans are you able to place ? I have small clip in fan and another small floor standing one, that I used to place in front of the bottom air intake port on my 4x4 older tent to help pull air from that opening. It's a quite slim fan, let's see how it fits. The exhaust fan is a 6" that should pull plenty of air exchange for such tent volume, I wasn't using it at full range on the 4x4 tent.
Right now seeds just germinated in paper towels, put them in ground 36 hrs ago and now I'm starting to see them raising the cotyledon leaves and opening. Exciting moments, 3 jack herer and 2 white widows. I planted more bcs I wasn't sure of how alive the seeds were, I had them for some time in the fridge. they showed good germination rate and speed. Will keep 3 or 4 plants in veg phase until spring, them transition them outside
I have always wanted to grow the Herer line...I just picked up my first white widow cross in Xmas sale so really looking forward to your grow...I run AC Infinity stuff in the tent- a 6"clip fan low and another added when there is a "canopy" touching walls as plant gets bigger above. I put a 4" shorty carbon filter inside tent and a 4" ACI Cloudline fan outside. I never started seeds in it- always uppotted to final container used in the tent-

S

sicoroot

I have always wanted to grow the Herer line...I just picked up my first white widow cross in Xmas sale so really looking forward to your grow...I run AC Infinity stuff in the tent- a 6"clip fan low and another added when there is a "canopy" touching walls as plant gets bigger above. I put a 4" shorty carbon filter inside tent and a 4" ACI Cloudline fan outside. I never started seeds in it- always uppotted to final container used in the tent-
first time growing JH, hope I'll get nice plants out of these seeds. I also have an AC infinity inline fan, good product. I will have to use my current carbon filter bcs I have it and it's bigger than the 4" one. I usually keep the filter only inside, fan's outside of the tent..I have a small humidifier that I'd like to put in there too, let's see

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

man if you was in georgia i would sell you a se3000 for your tent its a 300 watt light

RonnieB2nd

RonnieB2nd

Hello growers,

I'm about to start a new grow using a new tent, Gorilla grow tent 2 by 2.5 ft. I want to utilize a spider farmer sf4000 450W LED lamp that I had used before in a 4x4 ft grow tent.
It's a bit overkill for a 2x2.5 but I was hoping not to buy another lamp for the smaller tent.
The lamp itself fits fine within the tent, my question to the community is more about how much would you dim the light since this model is more intended for a bigger grow space ?
thanks !
I use a California lightworks 500 true watts 4x4 in a GG 3 x 3 with height extensions keep those walls clean and good air movement and about 4- 6 extra inches height

Top Bottom