48 hrs lights on or off before harvest day?

• Thread starter JKash
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
So this might get a lot of feedback mist people believed that going dark before harvest would help your crop... according to a Professor at Utah is saying go lights on last 48 hrs to get a one last effort to produce more terpenes... do to the smell of your plant you can smell the terpenes evaporating.... which is produced under light....

So in theory leave lights on to get better tasting stuff before harvest...

Youtube 48 hours lights on before harvest

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

So this might get a lot of feedback mist people believed that going dark before harvest would help your crop... according to a Professor at Utah is saying go lights on last 48 hrs to get a one last effort to produce more terpenes... do to the smell of your plant you can smell the terpenes evaporating.... which is produced under light....

So in theory leave lights on to get better tasting stuff before harvest...

Youtube 48 hours lights on before harvest

I doubt if it will make much diff,I tried it that way and then leaving lights on 24 and noticed nothing

2Bad

2Bad

The reason people claim it does something is because specifically if your harvest before the lights come back on then it will have more trichomes. I'm pretty sure I heard Bruce b say it. It doesn't need to be any longer then your normal dark period of 12 hours. Just as long as its before lights come back on. Also if you go 48 hours and they are thirsty they will sort of shrivel if they are heavy drinkers(happened to me in 1 gallons)

Electrolights

Electrolights

I’ve read studies that claim to have proven increase in thc levels some I’ve read the difference is pretty noticeable like a 10% increase from 3 day darkness, worth looking into and forming your own opinion, Mine will be in the dark 72 hours tomorrow morning and I’ll be cutting them down

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I’ve read studies that claim to have proven increase in thc levels some I’ve read the difference is pretty noticeable like a 10% increase from 3 day darkness, worth looking into and forming your own opinion, Mine will be in the dark 72 hours tomorrow morning and I’ll be cutting them down
@Electrolights I want to read about this. Can you post a reliable source? A scientific study supporting this would be perfect.

I've also heard about driving a spike into the main stem prior to harvest will increase thc production. Yet when you go looking for proof, there is none. In fact science is in direct contradiction to this practice. Science has also given contradicting evidence about the 72 hr darkness theory. It does nothing to improve the plant. My problem with this isn't that you want to do this with your own plants ... you're also promoting this idea and trying to get others to do it too. Now why would you want to do that? Because someone you know said someone else that they know does this and has great results?

Lets see the evidence to support what you're saying. Thanks in advance.

2Bad

2Bad

@Electrolights I want to read about this. Can you post a reliable source? A scientific study supporting this would be perfect.

I've also heard about driving a spike into the main stem prior to harvest will increase thc production. Yet when you go looking for proof, there is none. In fact science is in direct contradiction to this practice. Science has also given contradicting evidence about the 72 hr darkness theory. It does nothing to improve the plant. My problem with this isn't that you want to do this with your own plants ... you're also promoting this idea and trying to get others to do it too. Now why would you want to do that? Because someone you know said someone else that they know does this and has great results?

Well said

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I’ve heard & done this but never noticed a difference. Not even sure where I heard to do this,lol.

Electrolights

Electrolights

As I stated in my original post i said I’ve read articles that claim, not that it’s factual, also I mentioned to do your own research to make your own decision, at no point did I say “hey you should do this because my information is credible” not being a dick just not trying to make it seem like I’m giving false information. I know there’s probably contradicting arguments. I said I’m doing it now, can’t see it hurting. Could see keeping lights on for 24 hours before harvest having a negative effect effecting terpenes at least . Also note I meant to put 1% not 10% that would be outrageous and everyone would be doing it.

2Bad

2Bad

As I stated in my original post i said I’ve read articles that claim, not that it’s factual, also I mentioned to do your own research to make your own decision, at no point did I say “hey you should do this because my information is credible” not being a dick just not trying to make it seem like I’m giving false information. I know there’s probably contradicting arguments. I said I’m doing it now, can’t see it hurting. Could see keeping lights on for 24 hours before harvest having a negative effect effecting terpenes at least . Also note I meant to put 1% not 10% that would be outrageous and everyone would be doing it.
It's all good mane your new we just like to make sure stuff is factual on here 😉

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It's all good mane your new we just like to make sure stuff is factual on here 😉
Most of us here are passionate about our hobby grows. We take it seriously when incorrect information is spread. Someone will call you out here. I just got done reading in a different thread where you were suggesting the same 72 hrs of darkness. That's why I called you out. I tried to be as gentle as possible ... but I stand by what I said.

If you can post some links where there are record-able outcomes where there is a control group to accurately compare against, I would love to see it.

Until then, I'll continue growing the way I do ... which is keeping things as natural as I can for my plants.

JKash

JKash

Supporter
I’ve read studies that claim to have proven increase in thc levels some I’ve read the difference is pretty noticeable like a 10% increase from 3 day darkness, worth looking into and forming your own opinion, Mine will be in the dark 72 hours tomorrow morning

Most of us here are passionate about our hobby grows. We take it seriously when incorrect information is spread. Someone will call you out here. I just got done reading in a different thread where you were suggesting the same 72 hrs of darkness. That's why I called you out. I tried to be as gentle as possible ... but I stand by what I said.

If you can post some links where there are record-able outcomes where there is a control group to accurately compare against, I would love to see it.

Until then, I'll continue growing the way I do ... which is keeping things as natural as I can for my plants.
No problem! It just new info coming out due to people legally able to do actual science behind grow techniques

JKash

JKash

Supporter
No problem! It just new info coming out due to people legally able to do actual science behind grow techniques

I've always done the 2-3 days of darkness but now that more info is easily available for us Growers and Real science is being applied....

It feels wrong to go against everything we have taught ourselves but to be honest I will gladly help share NEW and backed studies to help everyone get a better yield... I never want to help hurt or spread mis information...this vid came.out 6 months ago so it's still "new info"

JKash

JKash

Supporter
Great video! Dr Bugbee is worth listening to. It makes sense. Photosynthesis drives the plant's production.

Thanks for the post.
That's why as soon as I learn something new and come here to either spread the news or gain opinions if people have done these so called new techniques

Moshmen

Moshmen

I have tried harvesting many ways - 48 hrs darkness , starving them , no water, ect- out of everything I tried most bro science what I have settled on is feeding all the way to the end start cutting ppm 2 weeks prior harvest and then chop right before lights out - remove big fans and misc leaves then try and remove as much moisture as possible in the first 24 hrs of drying I mean like in a30/40% rh room ! Then into 60 degrees at 55/60rh until stable - already baked don’t even remember what I was answering ! Lmao

josefrahl

josefrahl

I have tried harvesting many ways - 48 hrs darkness , starving them , no water, ect- out of everything I tried most bro science what I have settled on is feeding all the way to the end start cutting ppm 2 weeks prior harvest and then chop right before lights out - remove big fans and misc leaves then try and remove as much moisture as possible in the first 24 hrs of drying I mean like in a30/40% rh room ! Then into 60 degrees at 55/60rh until stable - already baked don’t even remember what I was answering ! Lmao
I think they asked what you wanted on your pizza? 😉 😆

JKash

JKash

Supporter
Ya that's gist of how I would do for a normal harvest... but I gotta say this video has peaked my interest with the whole terpene production is done in light not darkness... the smell of your plants is terpenes being evaporated so this might increase taste?

Top Bottom