6' Ceilings And Co2 Challenges In New Grow Space. Help!

• Thread starter Elevator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Elevator

Elevator

Hi all,
I have the opportunity to switch my personal medical grow from my spare bedroom to a new location with more square footage but shorter ceilings. I currently have 8' ceilings and have had zero issues with maintaining a safe distance with the flex 6/750 Gavitas I'm using. I checked and Gavita says at the 600 watt setting, the bulbs can be 2' from canopy top, which makes sense since I'm going 2.5' from tops now, at the 750 watt setting. If the fixture requires 1' and I need 2' from the tops, that's 3'. If I am able to use short wide pots at 6", that only leaves me 3' for the absolute max height of the plant. Does anyone think this is realistic? I'd really like to stay with the gavitas because the grow will be off site and the gavita controller is awesome and will auto dim/shut down in case of heat emergencies and even alert me to the fact. I was told I couldn't run 750's with an 8' ceiling, and I killed it with big healthy plants, so I'm skeptical of people who are too quick to dismiss certain applications.

So, can I run the 600 setting with a 6.5' ceiling? Does anyone have any experience with the CMH 315's in a space this size? Are there decent controllers for the 315's? I looked through other forum posts but few people are discussing height issues with 315's that apply to my situation.

Second question is, this grow may not be suitable for a proper closed/sealed room due to the main furnace air intake pulling air from the only area that I can grow in and dispersing it to the rest of the house. Will I be wasting a ton of CO2 (money!) and conditioned air every time my heater kicks on for the home? I prefer the sealed room setup but does anyone have experience in a cold climate like Denver Colorado with pulling cool outside air in and sucking out humid hot air with automated fans and damper systems? How easy is it to maintain the temperature? Again, I will be OFF SITE, and don't want to have to drive over to check on the plants more than once a day.
Thanks!

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Hi all,
I have the opportunity to switch my personal medical grow from my spare bedroom to a new location with more square footage but shorter ceilings. I currently have 8' ceilings and have had zero issues with maintaining a safe distance with the flex 6/750 Gavitas I'm using. I checked and Gavita says at the 600 watt setting, the bulbs can be 2' from canopy top, which makes sense since I'm going 2.5' from tops now, at the 750 watt setting. If the fixture requires 1' and I need 2' from the tops, that's 3'. If I am able to use short wide pots at 6", that only leaves me 3' for the absolute max height of the plant. Does anyone think this is realistic? I'd really like to stay with the gavitas because the grow will be off site and the gavita controller is awesome and will auto dim/shut down in case of heat emergencies and even alert me to the fact. I was told I couldn't run 750's with an 8' ceiling, and I killed it with big healthy plants, so I'm skeptical of people who are too quick to dismiss certain applications.

So, can I run the 600 setting with a 6.5' ceiling? Does anyone have any experience with the CMH 315's in a space this size? Are there decent controllers for the 315's? I looked through other forum posts but few people are discussing height issues with 315's that apply to my situation.

Second question is, this grow may not be suitable for a proper closed/sealed room due to the main furnace air intake pulling air from the only area that I can grow in and dispersing it to the rest of the house. Will I be wasting a ton of CO2 (money!) and conditioned air every time my heater kicks on for the home? I prefer the sealed room setup but does anyone have experience in a cold climate like Denver Colorado with pulling cool outside air in and sucking out humid hot air with automated fans and damper systems? How easy is it to maintain the temperature? Again, I will be OFF SITE, and don't want to have to drive over to check on the plants more than once a day.
Thanks!

Fans and dampers will work in Denver 8 months put of the yr in my experience, summer time u need ac

Wildill

Wildill

I think you can pull it off with those that ceiling height as long as you can keep the plants short and be able to keep the temps in check..can you build a room inside the area you are using that way you could build a sealed room

Elevator

Elevator

I think you can pull it off with those that ceiling height as long as you can keep the plants short and be able to keep the temps in check..can you build a room inside the area you are using that way you could build a sealed room

Ya I'm considering doing just that, the main issue is my
Fans and dampers will work in Denver 8 months put of the yr in my experience, summer time u need ac

That's what I figured but I have an oversized swamp cooler that's never had a problem keeping my house at 70 in the summer. Even with the extra light heat, I'm confident I can keep it around 80. The main issue is that I don't live there and it would be tough to monitor the temps and any issues that spring up. I considered putting a nanny cam on my temp/humidity and, if they make them, an alarm of sorts that would tell me if my temps dip too low or too high. Any thoughts?

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Ya I'm considering doing just that, the main issue is my

That's what I figured but I have an oversized swamp cooler that's never had a problem keeping my house at 70 in the summer. Even with the extra light heat, I'm confident I can keep it around 80. The main issue is that I don't live there and it would be tough to monitor the temps and any issues that spring up. I considered putting a nanny cam on my temp/humidity and, if they make them, an alarm of sorts that would tell me if my temps dip too low or too high. Any thoughts?
Temp Push

It's a little device that runs off your phone and keeps you posted on temps

Elevator

Elevator

Sorry, got cut off. Im considering building a sealed room within the home but what would I do about supplying heat? It's a very old house with very little insulation and I'm concerned about SUPPLYING heat to it in the winter nights. I could run the lights at night, but I was hoping to run them during the day to make maintaning the garden easier and more convenient for my schedule. It would also be a lot less suspicious. It's in a really bad neighborhood so anything happening at night is scrutinized by police, and more importantly, I don't want the local gangs noticing what I'm doing and robbing me.

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Sorry, got cut off. Im considering building a sealed room within the home but what would I do about supplying heat? It's a very old house with very little insulation and I'm concerned about SUPPLYING heat to it in the winter nights. I could run the lights at night, but I was hoping to run them during the day to make maintaning the garden easier and more convenient for my schedule. It would also be a lot less suspicious. It's in a really bad neighborhood so anything happening at night is scrutinized by police, and more importantly, I don't want the local gangs noticing what I'm doing and robbing me.
Build 2 rooms and flip them...then they can keep each other warm. Have one run noon to midnight and the other midnight to noon. Then you can spend 11am-1pm and have lights up in both

Elevator

Elevator

Build 2 rooms and flip them...then they can keep each other warm. Have one run noon to midnight and the other midnight to noon. Then you can spend 11am-1pm and have lights up in both

I like that idea and considered that as well, the main challenge with that is that one of the rooms is a bedroom off of the living room (living room being the other grow space) and there would inevitably be light leakage whenever leaving one room and going into another and I know I can build a little extra space to stop the transfer but that eats up my space, and mostly what I'm concerned with is the costs associated with purchasing two mini splits, two climate controllers, two co2 regulators, etc.

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

I like that idea and considered that as well, the main challenge with that is that one of the rooms is a bedroom off of the living room (living room being the other grow space) and there would inevitably be light leakage whenever leaving one room and going into another and I know I can build a little extra space to stop the transfer but that eats up my space, and mostly what I'm concerned with is the costs associated with purchasing two mini splits, two climate controllers, two co2 regulators, etc.

Craigslist in Denver is Amazing for Deals on Gear

Everybody thinks they can grow, gives up after a couple tries, and sells their shit. It's great

Elevator

Elevator

This is super fucking cool btw, I hadn't found anything like this when I googled wireless thermometer. It was just that thing you stick outside but is only good for 30'. This looks promising!
http://www.sensorpush.com/

Elevator

Elevator

Craigslist in Denver is Amazing for Deals on Gear

Everybody thinks they can grow, gives up after a couple tries, and sells their shit. It's great

Oh don't I know. I've been that guy twice now. It took me a couple years to stop listening to everyone and just follow a system that worked and was taught to me first hand and then start to tweak and experiment. God damn I lost a few good years lol...

Latest posts

Top Bottom