6 plants all pheno hunted and selected. Which do I use for reversal?

• Thread starter vipvegas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

vipvegas

I have 6 killer looking plants I pheno hunted of different genetics from feminized seed stock and I'm looking to reverse one of the plants with STS and self pollinate itself as well as the other 5 females. At this point I have 6 killer plants. How do you chose which to use for the reversal of F/M plant? Do I chose the best one? One I want more dominant? How does that work in the choice or decision process of which to flip to pollinate all?

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

I have 6 killer looking plants I pheno hunted of different genetics from feminized seed stock and I'm looking to reverse one of the plants with STS and self pollinate itself as well as the other 5 females. At this point I have 6 killer plants. How do you chose which to use for the reversal of F/M plant? Do I chose the best one? One I want more dominant? How does that work in the choice or decision process of which to flip to pollinate all?
Chose the best one, structure, terpenes, yield etc etc, the most balanced one, or the most fire of them all. That would be my two ways of choosing witch one to reverse for pollen.

GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
It really depends on what you're looking to get out of the plant.

V

vipvegas

Thank you. I'm still confused do you take your best of the best one and reverse or do you keep it as a receiver of the pollen? I guess my question more relates to the expression of traits and which is more pronounced male or female. Let me rephrase. If say I have two plants I'm going to use to cross. 1 is super fire and the other is fire lol. Should the super fire be the reversal or the receiver?

V

vipvegas

Chose the best one, structure, terpenes, yield etc etc, the most balanced one, or the most fire of them all. That would be my two ways of choosing witch one to reverse for pollen.
So the reversal plant is the one with the best genes and traits. Then your receivers would be next in terms of quality choice.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

So the reversal plant is the one with the best genes and traits. Then your receivers would be next in terms of quality choice.
Theres no really way to tell witch trait will pass, only by selective breeding over some generations you fix desired traits, It's like DNA from our father and mother, witch one will be the recessive or dominant is only known after the fact after we were born.

GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
Theres no really way to tell witch trait will pass, only by selective breeding over some generations you fix desired traits, It's like DNA from our father and mother, witch one will be the recessive or dominant is only known after the fact after we were born.
The traits that are passed down genetically are dependent on the mother and father. If you read the list up top it will tell which the mother or father will pass down which traits. Now those traits you have to breed for as you say.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

So I would reverse the top notch fire ass plant to hit everyone else in hope it pass its good traits on to the others. And also her selfed s1 will be 50% more stable.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

"Often in cannabis, the traits of the female carry over to progeny (seeds) more than the male. That said, the traits of the male are often obvious to the discerning grower so one should definitely choose a male that will complement the traits of the female,” says Nat Pennington, founder and CEO of Humboldt Seed Company who’s been breeding cannabis for 20 years.

So in his experience he observed that female traits are usually more dominant, but males will also normally pass half of his genes too to the seeds, it's just how genetics works, we can't really be sure what traits will be passed on, that's why we have to do selective breeding to fix the desired traits over some generations to make more stable seeds, if that's the goal.

F1 generation has super strong hybrid vigor and many phenotypes, F2 still some hybrid vigor and A LOT of phenotypes, by selective breeding traits after F4 or F5 if done properly you would be really stable with at least half the offspring showing similar desired selected traits, than after f6 the hybrid vigor starts to fall down and it's best to do a back cross (bx1) to the original parents so that you renew the hybrid vigor again.

This is for regular seeds tho

Feminized pollen starts to lose vigor much faster, by S4 I've read somewhere it's better to reverse the original mother again and do a new s1 batch to regain hybrid vigor again.
Even better to just keep reversing the original mother again and aways work with the S1 pollen.

V

vipvegas

Thank you both Trash and Golden. You made this very understandable.

Going in for some Wizard Tree Tea time reversal, going to hit a Raw Cherry Paloma, Cipher Gentics Gas Burzt, Humboldt Jelly Donuts, Compound Apple and Bananas and a Raw Galaxy Glaze (Bacio mintz/ Georgia Pie) if I can get enough pollen going. Thanks agian

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Going in for some Wizard Tree Tea time reversal, going to hit a Raw Cherry Paloma, Cipher Gentics Gas Burzt, Humboldt Jelly Donuts, Compound Apple and Bananas and a Raw Galaxy Glaze (Bacio mintz/ Georgia Pie) if I can get enough pollen going. Thanks agian
All good, I want some tester seeds tho ROFL

Cheers!

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Yep that's also a thing, some plants are pretty hard to reverse and get viable pollen and also pollen quantity, so maybe choose two to reverse to get better odds of success.
And reverse like 4 clones of each.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Feminized generations starts to lose vigor much faster, by S4 I've read somewhere it's better to reverse the original mother again and do a new RVSD pollen batch to regain hybrid vigor again.
Even better to just keep reversing the original mother again and aways work with the first generation RVSD pollen.
Correction,
I mean RVSD pollen not s1 (witch would be the selfed with fem pollen).

Top Bottom