6 weeks flowering, is this ok?

• Thread starter Haydar1984
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

neither will hurt either way
I'm still a novice. I personally would investigate it further before adding those things but that's because I prefer to find and address the problem, not throw everything including the kitchen sink at it in hopes that something works ... but that's just how I work.

This doesn't mean that in the end epson salts, etc won't be the go-to. Let's find that pH chart first. I want to see where the lock outs occur on the pH scale. It's possible but I struggle with the idea you are deficient in minerals with a tds of 500. It's why I asked if you knew what is in your water source.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The graph on the right half applies to soil. I think when you look at the chart, you'll understand why I asked if you know what your soil pH currently is.

PH uptake chart
Haydar1984

Haydar1984

The graph on the right half applies to soil. I think when you look at the chart, you'll understand why I asked if you know what your soil pH currently is.
According to this graph I'm definitely having problems with the pH , can I increase it with sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydroxide? I have these in house at the moment

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

According to this graph I'm definitely having problems with the pH , can I increase it with sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydroxide? I have these in house at the moment

I'll defer to the experts to answer that. I'm comfortable with the dolomite lime, but I understand that you can't just go out and buy it right now. The other chemicals would raise pH but I don't know if it would harm the plants. I don't think the baking soda would, but I'm not sure. And ...The use of sodium hydroxide in gardening is an unknown to me. I've used it in chemistry labs but not with plants.

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

I removed all these leaves and now I'm flushing with tap water which has a pH between a.little over 7 , will see what my run off water will be after 30 minutes cause water is running very slowly from the pot
20200330 215712

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

Wood ashes will work as well as providing nutrients. I mix a tablespoon or so into a gallon of water. Just make sure it is not treated wood ashes.
I only have charcoal ash at the moment , my tap water has high tds and pH , I think I'll use it to water instead of RO to bring the pH up and see what happens

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Nope its river water , we have high tds it fluctuates between 400 and 500 and pH on the high side between 7 and 8

In some areas of the country, well water has high iron content ... so much so that a plant can develop iron toxicity. Again, not an expert here ... I would think river water ppm would be high mineral but not necessarily high iron content. Is this a municipal water source?

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

In some areas of the country, well water has high iron content ... so much so that a plant can develop iron toxicity. Again, not an expert here ... I would think river water ppm would be high mineral but not necessarily high iron content. Is this a municipal water source?
Yes it's municipal water source we use to clean and wash but don't drink , I don't think it has high iron , we use it to water lots of plants without a trouble , I only use RO to water my cannabis plant so it's easier to calculate nutes PPM and to be in the safe side

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ahhh, gotcha ... that RO water is likely close to zero tds before mixing nutes, right?

Edit: When you use RO water, almost all minerals have been removed from the water. Both calcium and magnesium are usually in abundance in hard water. You may have to add cal mag as well as adjusting pH.

@Jimster I loved the wood ash suggestion. Great answer!

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

High P will lock out Mag

High "P" meaning "Potassium?" or High "P" meaning pH? Wood ash would be high in potassium. My preference is to address soil pH first and then see how the plant responds. Nutrients are likely already in the soil ... they need unlocked.

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

High "P" meaning "Potassium?" or High "P" meaning pH? Wood ash would be high in potassium. My preference is to address soil pH first and then see how the plant responds. Nutrients are likely already in the soil ... they need unlocked.
I think it's Phosphorus , I use 10-35-10 for flowering , I'll see what happens after the flush , flushing with hard water will add Calcium and Magnesium and raise the pH to my thinking

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I think it's Phosphorus , I use 10-35-10 for flowering , I'll see what happens after the flush , flushing with hard water will add Calcium and Magnesium and raise the pH to my thinking
That's right, K = potassium.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I would avoid wood ash. A very little goes a long way, it's super high in potassium, and easy to make things worse.

Thanks for that. I think that was what @Hidd3nGrOw was saying. The OP's situation is unique in the sense of the flu related shutdown. Baking soda was mentioned, but I am not sure of the correct answer to that. Can you help us out?

Haydar1984

Haydar1984

I would avoid wood ash. A very little goes a long way, it's super high in potassium, and easy to make things worse.
I flushed with tap water for too long yet the run off water pH was 6 , I used sodium hydroxide to raise some water pH to 10 then watered the plant and the run off was closer to 7 than 6, I used 20-20-20 with complete added micro elements and kelp to make spray and sprayed the plant to give it a fast dose of all nutrients needed , will see what happens next

mancorn

mancorn

Thanks for that. I think that was what @Hidd3nGrOw was saying. The OP's situation is unique in the sense of the flu related shutdown. Baking soda was mentioned, but I am not sure of the correct answer to that. Can you help us out?
Yes baking soda will reduce ph. With such a high ppm in river water, the alkalinity (high buffer) is generally high, which makes it much hard to change the ph and the baking soda in turn increases alkalinity, digging yourself a big hole. I see Haydar is suggesting he's at 7 runoff, so wouldn't get to crazy with ph (since he's growing in soil).

OP said " I'm fertilizing with 600-700 ppm", which is pretty low. (And that's assuming your taking into account the 500ppm source, so is really at 1100-1200). What are the recommendation of the nutes you're using? Plants look pretty hungry to me.

Top Bottom