60 Beans 12 Plants. Rough Start Grow.

• Thread starter Planter01
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Planter01

Planter01

If I had new beans to pop I would have scrapped this grow and started fresh. They were all purchased presumably viable seeds and for the life of me I can't pin down the prob. I figure 40% popped at least a little and hit dirt and of those 24 only 12 ever saw light. Even after becoming seedlings NONE of the 12 exibited any signs of becoming the Chosen One. A 20% germ is costly in time and money. I would have never popped 60 nuts but I had hoped to do a phenotype hunt and was looking to grow out and propagate the best of them. Oh well it is what it is.
I have enough light for 12 but I prefer 9 in 3g pots and I wouldn't mind trying 6 in 15 liter short pots. These crappy little plants are almost 3 weeks old and should be at LEAST twice as developed. I think there are 4 each of W. Widow, Cheese, and Critical Kush. I will be culling so the girls better take note although the Mrs does always pick a runt that she wants to save from the compost heap. This could go a lot of ways. It'll be either a grow journal or a lesson in what not to do.
The one thing in my favor is the resilience of the species. It's tough and forgiving. Hopefully I have enough Karma points.
60 beans 12 plants rough start grow
60 beans 12 plants rough start grow 2
60 beans 12 plants rough start grow 3

Organikz

Organikz

100% germination rate...
  • Root riot cubes
  • 1/2 cup coconut water
  • 5 ml fulvic acid
  • 1/4 cup aloe Vera juice (pharmacy)
  • 2 cups cold water...yah from the fridge...its called cold stratification
I soak the seeds in one cup for a few hours and soak the root cubes in the other. Then i gently squeeze the cubes until moist, not wet.

Use these smaller domes. They're on amazon...search 12 cell dome. I don't use a heat mat. Seeds germinate early spring when it's still cold. Most important is to not mess with the cubes. You start rooting around and you may find a torn tap root.

20171220 074655
Planter01

Planter01

@Organikz The unpopped beans were unceremoniously dumped into the basement trash barrel dried out paper towels and all.
I've been using the same method of germination for over 30 years and I expect 80% and usually do better. As often or not I can pick the bean that's not gonna pop. They just somehow appear to be thin walled immature hulls leaving you wondering if your a modern day version of Jack and the Beanstalk. I believe some obscure force sent down from the heavens put a pox on me and mine and ill never know why i only hit 20% with the beans from multible vendor, banks, and vendors. I should have had 50 little ladies to pheno hunt with the intention of trying to go perpetual for awhile at least. C'est la vie

Organikz

Organikz

Items mentioned above contain compounds such as saponin and salicilic acid that will assist a seed that otherwise wouldn't germinate. Good luck.

Planter01

Planter01

I'm sure your right but USUALLY I'm much more successful. What you say makes sense. I would think the potassium from the coconut water couldn't hurt.

Planter01

Planter01

Well it looks like the 12 are going to be ok. They are starting to settle in and seem to have gotten over their rough start. I would have liked to cull down to 12 out of 60 so I could go perpetual but it is what it is. Temps are stable and I'm now watering with seaweed tea. The seaweed was rinsed before brewing to reduce the Na just a bit and the tea has just a little bit of old hog crap in it for nitrogen. Then it all goes through cheese cloth and gets a taste test b4 using. There's 5 gallons cooking and bubbling but that will end up being 10 gallons of feed. And so it grows.
20180115 230133
20180115 230129

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
If I had new beans to pop I would have scrapped this grow and started fresh. They were all purchased presumably viable seeds and for the life of me I can't pin down the prob. I figure 40% popped at least a little and hit dirt and of those 24 only 12 ever saw light. Even after becoming seedlings NONE of the 12 exibited any signs of becoming the Chosen One. A 20% germ is costly in time and money. I would have never popped 60 nuts but I had hoped to do a phenotype hunt and was looking to grow out and propagate the best of them. Oh well it is what it is.
I have enough light for 12 but I prefer 9 in 3g pots and I wouldn't mind trying 6 in 15 liter short pots. These crappy little plants are almost 3 weeks old and should be at LEAST twice as developed. I think there are 4 each of W. Widow, Cheese, and Critical Kush. I will be culling so the girls better take note although the Mrs does always pick a runt that she wants to save from the compost heap. This could go a lot of ways. It'll be either a grow journal or a lesson in what not to do.
The one thing in my favor is the resilience of the species. It's tough and forgiving. Hopefully I have enough Karma points.
View attachment 769897 View attachment 769898 View attachment 769899
60 beans.... im watching...love it

brazel

brazel

Well it looks like the 12 are going to be ok. They are starting to settle in and seem to have gotten over their rough start. I would have liked to cull down to 12 out of 60 so I could go perpetual but it is what it is. Temps are stable and I'm now watering with seaweed tea. The seaweed was rinsed before brewing to reduce the Na just a bit and the tea has just a little bit of old hog crap in it for nitrogen. Then it all goes through cheese cloth and gets a taste test b4 using. There's 5 gallons cooking and bubbling but that will end up being 10 gallons of feed. And so it grows.
View attachment 771436 View attachment 771437
Fix up them seedlings before they get worse bro!
Congrats on the 12 you got, better than none
Cheers

brazel

brazel

View attachment 769897 View attachment 769898 View attachment 769899
Looking at some these and the other pics, I'd say you're the reason for a bad germination rate. Ain't being rude, just giving you an honest opinion
Cheers

Planter01

Planter01

I can take it so expand a bit Brazel. What is it that the pics show you? Don't leave me hanging. I've been doing this for 35 years successfully but I'm always open to the input of those who know more. What is/was my error? Human error is always the easiest to fix. Sharing is caring bub.

brazel

brazel

I can take it so expand a bit Brazel. What is it that the pics show you? Don't leave me hanging. I've been doing this for 35 years successfully but I'm always open to the input of those who know more. What is/was my error? Human error is always the easiest to fix. Sharing is caring bub.
your leaves tell me it's over watered. How old are they?
I like your response, shows no ego just desire! I'll be learning till the day I die.

Edit... your leaves say they hurting, I can't say for sure what's wrong without being there. That's something you're gonna have to figure out. Droopy leaves, bad germination rate, slow growth and maybe color but hard to tell from pic for sure would lead me to believe over watering

Last edited:
Planter01

Planter01

Not a chance on the overwatering theory Bra. I let then just about dry out b4 I water as I have always done. They were planted in nuteless Pro-Mix and they just got their first taste of micros with just a touch of N. The water is straight out of the Koi pond as it always is. The plants seem to be right as rain right not and have to my experienced eye the color is good. Healthy but not to green or to yellow. I appreciate the input but your over watering theory doesn't hold water and certainly doesn't account for such a poor germination rate. I'm sorry to say "strike one" but I still appreciate the effort.

brazel

brazel

Not a chance on the overwatering theory Bra. I let then just about dry out b4 I water as I have always done. They were planted in nuteless Pro-Mix and they just got their first taste of micros with just a touch of N. The water is straight out of the Koi pond as it always is. The plants seem to be right as rain right not and have to my experienced eye the color is good. Healthy but not to green or to yellow. I appreciate the input but your over watering theory doesn't hold water and certainly doesn't account for such a poor germination rate. I'm sorry to say "strike one" but I still appreciate the effort.
no worries, I don't mind being wrong but please explain these...
20180116 134404
20180116 134343

brazel

brazel

I appreciate the input but your over watering theory doesn't hold water and certainly doesn't account for such a poor germination rate.
Either not viable or over watering, why else would they not sprout? They have everything they need except moisture

Planter01

Planter01

No worries Bro. 60 Beans went into water for 24 to 48 hours then into paper towels as I always do. The 12 languished as I said but their coming around nicely. The pictures might be deceiving as the first leaves will end up being lopped off. Stick around Bra and I'll guarantee a complete rebound from their rough start. I ACTUALLY NOW KNOW WHY MY GERM RATE WAS SO BAD. I let someone use my heating pads and didn't get them back so I bought more. I think the new heating pads were much much hotter than my old ones and even with an inch of space between the pads and the plates I was germinating on I believe I basically cooked the little fellows. I know how to water and I know how to avoid mute burn. I still appreciate your input but it's not watering. To much water and the roots don't get the O2 they need. These girls are gonna take off big time. If I didn't think so after 35 years I would have dumped them and started over. Can't waste time on plants that don't show at least a little promise.

brazel

brazel

Ok lemme try this again...
Here's @Organikz at 13 days, compare these to yours that are over 3 weeks old. I'm not saying you don't know what's up but you're having issues. What I'm saying doesn't benefit me, I'm only bringing up something you might be over looking and needs attention, I won't bring this up again.
20180116 155924

Here is yours over three weeks old... see the difference?
20180116 134404

Organikz

Organikz

Brazel is just trying to help ya man. Something ain't right. I water my plants 1 cup of water ever 5 days in 1g pots...sounds crazy...dude plants survive on a drizzle here and there...it doesn't always downpour when it rains...1.5 week from bean.

What's ur aeration ratio...i think they're rootbound personally...

20180115 172742
Planter01

Planter01

Bro.. You must have missed the title of the thread. ROUGH START. I said they were having issues right from the get go. The germ rate was a bomb and the plants were languishing.If you have an idea other than over watering and I will take it to heart. I know what healthy 2 week old plants look like and I know what over watering looks like but that's not the problem. This is what I expect 2 weeks plants to look like. Like I said, I'll bet dollars to donuts that the girls take off. They are settling in nicely considering their rough start and I'm confident that in the long run they will be otay..
20170118 184510
20170118 184505

Everything will be alright and I will end up with a gram per watt or close to it but if I don't reach that bench mark it ain't no big thing. I don't sell the weed I grow. I am the giver. I do this for fun and cause I'm an old stoner.

brazel

brazel

Ok so 60 seeds 12 popped, from the get go(so not rootbound) had weak stems, slow growth and droopy leaves. my bad I was wrong.

Ok you're right, I look forward to updates and have nothing but good vibes

Latest posts

Top Bottom