60 Beans 12 Plants. Rough Start Grow.

• Thread starter Planter01
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Right...i will stick to my 100%..., by the way someone is pouring coconut water on them in nature. The other seeds do in fact excrete their enzymes into the surrounding soil when they sprout. Seeds contain many enzymes whose sole purpose is to assist other seed to germinate.

@GT21
What drives germination? NPK?

Nope germination is a process that is carried out solely with the help of enzymes, including hormone signaling enzymes found in coconut water...and u already know this...man.
cytokinin and zeatin ...i wonder how plants grow without it

Organikz

Organikz

cytokinin and zeatin ...i wonder how plants grow without it
They will eventually produce their own but seeds have an embryo and endosperm that come loaded with growth hormone...similar to a placenta. We're talking germination and mortality rates....not full life cycles.

Organikz

Organikz

Let me elaborate more because gt21 loves picking these apart....lol. you're buying beans that are barely viable 90% of the time...why? These enzymes have succumbed to oxidation. The coconut water would make a bean that's 3 years old have the enzymes of a bean that has just dried from the bud...get it now?

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
Right...i will stick to my 100%..., by the way someone is pouring coconut water on them in nature. The other seeds do in fact excrete their enzymes into the surrounding soil when they sprout. Seeds contain many enzymes whose sole purpose is to assist other seed to germinate.

Mimicking nature!

@GT21
What drives germination? NPK?

Nope germination is a process that is carried out solely with the help of enzymes, including hormone signaling enzymes found in coconut water...and u already know this...man.
Your 100% germ rate out of a hand full im literally100 for 100 doing it just like nature does just dirt and some water straight out of my tap to believe it or not no heating pad no nada why make things more complicated

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Your 100% germ rate out of a hand full im literally100 for 100 doing it just like nature does just dirt and some water straight out of my tap to believe it or not no heating pad no nada why make things more complicated
I dont use heat mats either

Organikz

Organikz

I dont use heat mats either
same...why because i know when seeds germinate it's cold outside...early spring...you can get a seed to germinate in good rich soil. it's the fulvic acid in the humus. i've heard of sprinkling EWC if you direct sow but i lost half my beans last time i did a direct sow. i think so much cover crop was growing it choked them out. that's my experience though...hey knock yourself out. once i get 5000 beans i just start chucking handfuls in my bed...lol

Planter01

Planter01

I guess I'm a gluton for punishment but I thought I would revisit this thread just to clarify a couple things. There's weed growers and there are plantsmen. Weed is a great way to spend the winter but even here in zone 6 by the end of February I'll be starting to plant a 2000 sq ft veggie garden. The fruit trees will have been pruned and the heptacodium, Stewartia pseudocamellia and poncirus trifoliata will get one last root prune before being moved. I will also have put down at least a dozen yards of the most righteous chopped leaf and hog shit compost on my no till garden.
@GT21 .. Why would you scoff at Epsom salts? Are you basing it on a bad experience? Epsom Salt or magnesium sulfate if you prefer has dozens of benifits to plants. It encourages the production of chlorophyll and subsequently photosynthesis. It helps the plants ability to take up nitrogen and phosphorus. It promotes green leaves. It's a great source of magnesium and sulfur and it's just about impossible to overuse. Added to a foliar spray it helps the nutes enter the leaves stomata. I'll put in 100 pounds of potatoes and the sulphur will help any cut sets to scab and also prevent rot.To top it off its organic and I can get a half gallon of water soluble crystal for a couple bucks. What's not to like GT. Why you hating on Epsom.

@Organikz .. This plant is not rootbound. Sure it needs to go to its final home but with a little gentle teasing it will transplant without missing a beat. (Almost) As far a tap roots go by the time the plants a seedling the tap root of the sprouted seeds is gone. It's morphed into different kinds of roots using the same chemicals the plant uses when you pinch a terminal node. Zeatin, cytokinin, fulvic acid, coconut milk? Talk about over complicating. I havent had to be concerned with Zeatin in 35 years of growing anything that can survive a Z6 winter The price of beans is not usually an issue and I plant enough (usually) that even if I only get 80% germinated and into dirt I'm happy. I do agree with you a 100% on the finger and butt however and I'm sure that if I had consistently bad germination rates I would be breaking out the Aloe Vera juice. After all it does does soothe a burn.
@brazel .. Come on dude. I gave your over watering theory a great deal of thought so at least give me that they're looking better. They certainly exhibit traits that if I didn't know better I would have attributed to drowning. I actually tried to pop 30 Beans and the first pic is of the five that still survive. The second pic is seven that went into water a couple days later. I do use a heating mat but only because I'm basically on a slab and with the temps outside in the single digits the floor gets kinda cold. That being said I think that the new mats were much hotter than my old mats and that I essentially cooked my beans. At least that's my best guess. Rock On Guys!! I'm sure you all are successful growers but there is more than one way to skin a cat just like all roads lead to Rome. Nothing much is written in stone.
20170118 184510
20180117 225820
20180117 225645
20180117 230107
20180117 230151

Ecompost

Ecompost

just to chip in, these plants are over watered, over fed, over loved, relax, take a step back, use less food, use less water. Dont worry my friend, you are just having a bad moment, in life this happens. Just relax, know you can grow, re try and be careful with the water and always relax. Your tension is also felt by your partner biology buddy

Organikz

Organikz

Sorry brotha didn't mean to discourage you. We're trying to help. Now let's say you go to a guy and say how does this guitar I made look and sound. Just because it can use some tuning doesn't mean u don't know what's going on. You built it right? You shouldn't ever settle for what you think is good enough for your plant. We don't know what is exact ideal 0.0.0 for a plant.

If she cringes then something ain't right. A rough start affects final yield. I know you will get it dialed

brazel

brazel

The way we look out for each other is gonna be the reason we grow at what we do, everyone one of us benefits when we look out for each other. If you look, you can see none of us believe in the word master. We can do something for years and still learn. We're all stoked to have you part of us and look forward to sharing

brazel

brazel

Man im 100 for 100 just in dirt straight outta the bag no mats no nothing just like "nature" i aint never seen nature pour coconut water on seeds or add any of that other stuff...i thought yall notill guys were one with nature lol
I've used lots of things but if you keep up with my process you'll see I don't use nothing but water and soil now. I say this to show everyone learns. This is not towards you cause I know we share ideas on germination and other things.

A seed has everything needed but moisture.

This being said what ever you do that works, next time remove process and see if it still works! If you keep doing the same thing, you're not learning, you're settling. Don't fall into that area, think if you made it that far, how much further can you go!?
No one can do this on their so please push further and share your findings so we all grow

Gravekat303, I appreciate you and your desire to push further

Organikz

Organikz

You see it's kind of like carrying a handgun...better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Do I need to feed my soil MBP...no..

Do I, yes...why? Great question...why not?

brazel

brazel

Why would you scoff at Epsom salts? Are you basing it on a bad experience? Epsom Salt or magnesium sulfate if you prefer has dozens of benifits to plants. It encourages the production of chlorophyll and subsequently photosynthesis. It helps the plants ability to take up nitrogen and phosphorus. It promotes green leaves. It's a great source of magnesium and sulfur and it's just about impossible to overuse. Added to a foliar spray it helps the nutes enter the leaves stomata
Using Epsom salt shows your soil is not correct, otherwise why would you need it!?
Just something to think about

brazel

brazel

There's a difference to adding what you shouldn't need and giving your plants a treat..... MBP like @Organikz said is a treat, having to use Epson salt.... you missed the boat

Planter01

Planter01

I don't use Epsom salt because my soil is lacking in magnesium and sulphur it's just part of the interconnected web of chemicals not just working alone but working together. The Boron contained as a micronutrient in the seaweed teas I use increases the plants ability to take up magnesium and potassium. That magnesium is then used by the plant to improve chlorophyll production which in turn improves photosynthesis. The available magnesium also improves flowering and the production of sweeter fruit in the veg garden. The magnesium also improves a plants ability to take up the majors (NPK) and when it's in the form of Epson Salt it's just about impossible to use to much. It's use is widespread in organic gardens and I wouldn't plant tomatoes and peppers without giving the a dose. If adding magnesium sulfate indicates my soil is lacking what do you add to yours? Commercial fertilizers with fish and seaweed emulsions, bat guano and worm castings? Come on guys.. unless your growing in your own well rounded compost your adding things to your soil. I add Epsom Salt so the plant gets the full benefit of the added nutes. A little bit of research goes a long way. If you were to look into Epsom you might even incorporate it into your own growing. As you say Brazel were all here to learn.
I do like talking plants but there are no chiseled in stone rules to growing outside of the basic requirement.
Ps.. Ill put my compost up against any bag of soil. It's just that I've had more Botrytis outdoors than I want and I'm afraid of bringing anything in from the outside lest I bring in the rot. Rock on guys and good luck on your grows. I'm just gonna keep the faith.

Organikz

Organikz

I don't use Epsom salt because my soil is lacking in magnesium and sulphur it's just part of the interconnected web of chemicals not just working alone but working together. The Boron contained as a micronutrient in the seaweed teas I use increases the plants ability to take up magnesium and potassium. That magnesium is then used by the plant to improve chlorophyll production which in turn improves photosynthesis. The available magnesium also improves flowering and the production of sweeter fruit in the veg garden. The magnesium also improves a plants ability to take up the majors (NPK) and when it's in the form of Epson Salt it's just about impossible to use to much. It's use is widespread in organic gardens and I wouldn't plant tomatoes and peppers without giving the a dose. If adding magnesium sulfate indicates my soil is lacking what do you add to yours? Commercial fertilizers with fish and seaweed emulsions, bat guano and worm castings? Come on guys.. unless your growing in your own well rounded compost your adding things to your soil. I add Epsom Salt so the plant gets the full benefit of the added nutes. A little bit of research goes a long way. If you were to look into Epsom you might even incorporate it into your own growing. As you say Brazel were all here to learn.
I do like talking plants but there are no chiseled in stone rules to growing outside of the basic requirement.
Ps.. Ill put my compost up against any bag of soil. It's just that I've had more Botrytis outdoors than I want and I'm afraid of bringing anything in from the outside lest I bring in the rot. Rock on guys and good luck on your grows. I'm just gonna keep the faith.
Worm reactor...kelp meal contains it's own uptake enhancer my friend...fulvic acid. Fulvic acid opens cell membranes. Saponin and salicylic acid found in aloe Vera as well. Jelp contains 72 trace minerals. Only thing it will not accumulate is sodium!

20180118 153958
Last edited:
Ecompost

Ecompost

You see it's kind of like carrying a handgun...better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Do I need to feed my soil MBP...no..

Do I, yes...why? Great question...why not?
peace is not the absence of war, it it is the absence of the threat of war and the rules of war - gill scott heron

Ecompost

Ecompost

you can use other biology to control Botrytis, you could source the following microbes Pseudomonas fluorescens, Bacillus subtilis and Trichoderma Hazarium, these three are recommended to control this disease naturally, introducing high numbers of these microbes and trying to match relevant organic inputs, or companion plants to encourage natural inhibition of grey molds, if you are struggling i make an inoculate called K+AMINO which has bio control for white and grey mold :) it should be used ahead of planting to pre condition media

Latest posts

Top Bottom