600 or 2-400's

• Thread starter wonka
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Fear

Ballasts are designed to run 24hours actually the shut down start up takes life away from the ballast. A flip flopper is a very good way to utilize your ballast.

B

boxmunch9

i think i was reading that a 600w is the most efficient as far as lumans/watt....as long as you can keep heat under control a 600 would work fine... but like reelbusy said with a 400 u are still sittin pretty with watts/sq. ft.

they are in terms of lumens to watt ratio, but you can bet the house you will get more from a 1000w than 2 600's and more from a 600w than 2 400's. there is little to no penetration from a 600w. I wish i never bought a 600w because they will produce buds but it just doesnt come close to a 1000wer

wonka

wonka

i totally agree with u box and wish i could roll with a 1000 but the place i will be at i think the 1000 will be to much for a apt... so i have to roll with the 600... i am just tring to make the best of the situation.. so if you got any thoughts or ideas that would be a big help...

S

sirshamus

i'm with you, boxmunch. i went with a 600 to start and my 1000 blows the doors off of it. good for a back up, though.

wonka

wonka

i would love to go with a 1000 but i think it might be to much for a 2 bedroom apt... so i got no choice but to go with the 600....

A

astartes

Just fine bro. To the electric company, all a 1K looks like is a suped up desktop or 42" plasma tv. And who doesn't have one of those these days, lol! Just try to turn off lights and be responsible about your other power usages in the place. As long as smell and security is locked down, I wouldn't bat an eye at a 1K in a 2 bedroom. Many other worries to consider that the electric co. finding you.

a.

B

boxmunch9

do not be afraid my friend. if your worried about the bill, then you are beyond fine with 1000w. If its because you dont have enough power than yea do what you can and be safe. imagen your apt with an extra flat screen tv, or an extra computer, or another roomate. 1000w should cost you abot 85bucks extra a month. if your bill jumped to lets say $1500 you could bring some attention, but remember the bill you get is automated. some of your neighbors will use more power than you without growing anything.

H

hbstoner

I 600 for sure.. easier to cool, cheaper.. Id really just do a 1000 if at all possible. Not that much more expensive then a 2x400 in electrical bill terms.

Z

zoeronerer

a 600 watt digital ballast produces the most lumens per watt of any bulb....

they have less radiated heat as well.

but 1k will light a 4' plant wer a six can only do abot a 24" plant. 18" optimum

so it depends on style.........for your initial question tho go with the 600 all the way .
or 1 400 hps and a 400 halide for spectrum........i like halides still for veg kids.

B

Badmf

Most folks have agreed and have switched not to but from 1k's for many reasons. Chief one being lumens to watts ratio 2nd is heat, 3rd electric bill. I can get much closer with a 600 and not worry about burning. Sold all but one 1k and I have replaced them with 6's. Not saying you can't grow tasty buddage with 1k's but this made my life much simpler.
And there was someone who thinks "two" 600's would be outdone by a 1k, no friggin way. Check your lumens total all factors being equal. I don't want to start a pi$$in' contest so lets just say to each their own, Peace!!

F

Fear

hey all .. why not try this.. 2 X 600's when on the 12 hour cycle use 2 timers (digital).. have one lamp on for 2 hours and switch lamps every 2 hours.. one on one off.. easy.. so on the bills it is only one lamp you are using..

Why would you want to take life away from your ballast like that. On and off for your lamps and HID Ballasts is not a practice recommended.

B

boxmunch9

i wish jorge cervantes never would have mentioned that a 600w is more efficent than a 1000wer, cuz now hes got everyone fooled. I used to run 3 600ws per 4x8table and i would never ever do it again, you get a nice 2ft wide row of buds then a bunch of crap on the sides and below. i guess if you can't figure out a system to cool a 1000wer than you might have to settle for a 600wer. remember your trying to mimic the sun, so a 600w is like a flashlight and a 1000w is like a skylight, sure the flashlight is bright as fuck but the skylight is lighting the whole room up. PM doubled's and a his feelings on 600w's. his 20plus yrs experience as a indoor grower and his 3lbs plants will fill you in. lumens tell you how bright it is to the human eye, tells you nothing of how the plant uses it.

A

AToadAso

600w in an air cooled reflector and you can get it really close and this way the bottom buds get alote of light as the 600 is givin out 90,000 lumens compared to 50 max! every 12" the light loses half its lumens so even if you get the 400w close. your still gonna lose half yor light after 12". plus a bonus is your top buds will be double the size of a 400w lamp!:afroweed:

B

Badmf

As far as Jorge C is concerned, he was just a photographer when I was croppin' biguns. It isn't "his" view" that swayed me but "results".
Now anyone may use "either" and have sucessful grows but for "me" I switched to 600's. I have used 1k's for many years and with a few rooms on 600's, the 6's "properly set up" will give you all you want. Factor the distance for heat add a mover and blam!! But as I said you can do 1k's "if" cooled correctly. They need a stronger exhaust fan than 6's as well. Stay safe and grow big!!

A

audia4king

2 600s way more lumens i think 2 400s equal lil more lumens if not less

Top Bottom