600w VS. 1000w, Dual Arcs, Questions on lighting.

• Thread starter MediMary
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Will two 600w HPS bulbs at more penetration that one 1000w HPS

• Total voters
BC_Bud

BC_Bud

Premium Member
Supporter
When all is said and done next run I will do half Dual arcs and half HPS with the same strain. As it goes rite now the Dual Arcs have made a huge difference Bigger and Frostier...JACK

Hey Jack, what are your thoughts on having some 1000w hortilux's together with some good 1000w Metal Halides on a 2 x 1 configuration vs the 1000w dual arcs that are basically a 600w hps and a 400w MH (as far as I can tell from what I read)?

M

MediMary

So would you guys agree it seems logical to say 2 vertical 600's (1MH & 1HPS) would outperform a single 1000, both on variety of spectrum, and penetration?

*edit*

Looking at the lumen output on thousand watt bulbs the dual arc Emitting 117,000 lumens seems second place to a regular HPS emitting 140,000 lumens, although jack is proving there is more to it than just lumens.

A 600 HPS emitting, 95,000 lumens, and a 600MH emitting 72,000 lumen seems to be the clean winner, at least when taking lumen output and variety of spectrum

and I am RIPPED this evening on some killer chon,
sorry for the hard to understand post.

I am just trying to figure out why so many folks say when growing trees to stay away from 600's, as the 600s don't have the penetration, although it seems to me the Dual Arcs are basically a 600HPS, and 400MH in one bulb. so wouldnt they have worse penetration that a regular HPS

Seems like double stacking the 600's would def be the way to go.:ridinghorse:

M

MediMary

Visual

http://www.invalid.com/members/heath-robinson-34876-albums-heath-picture795103-dscf9149.jpg

BC_Bud

BC_Bud

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey MediMary, those look huge! :fixed: thank's for sharing that photo by HR with us!

420king-MASSES

ive said it once ill say it again 600s are better [at least for me] then 1000s in fact a single 600 can have just as much penetration as a 1000 just by being able to place it closer vented or unvented[the light] and have equal lumen output[in comparison with light distances] at a fraction of the cost now also 2 points of light are better then 1 and 3 are better then 2 ive used 1000s 400s and by far my favorite is the 600 i am able to produce more gpw off of a single 6 then a 1000

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
I do like to mix in 1000 watt MH bulbs also but at the end of the day both runs in vertical the single plant with Dual Arcs around it has been bigger and frostier...And not by a little im talking its the one plant in the room that looks like it has recieved special attention and given steroids...JACK

B

Bobby Smith

Hey Medi, I haven't forgotten about you - I'll take those readings for you sometime next week - pretty busy this weekend and until then.

M

MediMary

no worries bobby, take your time my friend.
thanks everyone for your input.
have a great weekend.

F

FARM THIS

So would you guys agree it seems logical to say 2 vertical 600's (1MH & 1HPS) would outperform a single 1000, both on variety of spectrum, and penetration?

*edit*

Looking at the lumen output on thousand watt bulbs the dual arc Emitting 117,000 lumens seems second place to a regular HPS emitting 140,000 lumens, although jack is proving there is more to it than just lumens.

A 600 HPS emitting, 95,000 lumens, and a 600MH emitting 72,000 lumen seems to be the clean winner, at least when taking lumen output and variety of spectrum

and I am RIPPED this evening on some killer chon,
sorry for the hard to understand post.

I am just trying to figure out why so many folks say when growing trees to stay away from 600's, as the 600s don't have the penetration, although it seems to me the Dual Arcs are basically a 600HPS, and 400MH in one bulb. so wouldnt they have worse penetration that a regular HPS

Seems like double stacking the 600's would def be the way to go.:ridinghorse:
not too sure why you want the blue spectrum in flower ?

and also 600 does well but i still think that 1000 will always outperform when stacked 1 vs 1 .. IMO

M

MediMary

jack was saying in his grow that his best plants were with dual arcs. Have you seen jackmayoffers threads farmthis?

B

Bobby Smith

Medi, I swear I haven't forgotten about you, but I'm working 16 hour days trying to get this room up and running - cooltube is getting delivered tomorrow, so I guarantee I'll have those measurements for you by Saturday at the latest - do you have a preference for me taking them with or without the cooltube?

I guess both wouldn't be that big of a deal, especially to see how much light loss there really is by using a cooltube.

Again, I promise sometime Saturday at the latest.

M

MediMary

its all good bobby, I would prefer without cooltube, but both would be great for everyone o see the actual difference.

Y

yoko

"Age and condition of the ballast is way important, just replace the capicitor and ignitor and watch the huge difference in output and you'll know what i mean."

Tex

So what is a fair price for a new capacitor and ignitor for a 1K HPS?

Yoko

M

MediMary

not too sure why you want the blue spectrum in flower ?

and also 600 does well but i still think that 1000 will always outperform when stacked 1 vs 1 .. IMO

cause folks running dual arcs IE jack, are getting great results with mixed spectrum

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

I am currently experimenting with a mixed spectrum of HPS and LED lights to create a mixed spectrum as well. A buddy of mine did this last run with 2 600's and a 300w LED in the middle and his results were nothing short of mind blowing.

L-Immortal

L-Immortal

I have run the 1000W hortilux hps for a long time and have recently changed to the lumatek dual arcs. Only 5 weeks in (10 weekers) and plants are definitely frostier. As far as bigger well it’s hard to say until until the girls come down. Several strains to compare past results with. Nothing has changed except lighting so we will soon see

St3ve

St3ve

I have run the 1000W hortilux hps for a long time and have recently changed to the lumatek dual arcs. Only 5 weeks in (10 weekers) and plants are definitely frostier. As far as bigger well it’s hard to say until until the girls come down. Several strains to compare past results with. Nothing has changed except lighting so we will soon see

wow can't wait to hear back on this one. :)

B

Bobby Smith

Hey Medi, I know I'm about a month and a half late with this info, but here's what I've got for you (just posted this in another thread and then remembered that I owed these readings to you as well):

Took readings from 18" from the BULB (16" from the cooltube) from all four directions off of each bulb (at 90 degree angles, but directly perpendicular to the middle of the bulb), with four bulbs, for 16 total measurements.

^^^If this explanation is confusing, lemme know.

The bulbs (working from top to bottom) are dual arc, super hps, dual arc, and super hps (all used for <1 hour total).

The dual arcs put out 61K lumens and the HPS 90K, tested and verified bare bulbed with my light meter a week or two ago.

Location One (from top to bottom):

Location Two (same top to bottom):

Location Three:

Location Four:

Average:
Top Bulb (DA) - 2475
Second Bulb (HPS) - 3890
Third Bulb (DA) - 3727.5
Bottom Bulb (HPS) - 3855

Top Bottom