65 gallon smartpot yeild ?

• Thread starter jay530dogg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze

Blaze

Here I was gettin' ready to hit the like button, then you said you suck. :p

I love your beds! You make best use out of repurposing old materials. I love that. :D Feck the Smart Pots, they go through too much water anyway.

They certainlly do... Jay530dogg have you considered building some small raised beds or boxes? It would be a little bit more work but I gaurantee you the plants will grow better than in a smart pot, and use less water, and the box will last a lot longer than a pot. A 2.5' x2.5' x 1.5' wood box would be about the same amount of soil as a smart pot.

ChalkyWhite

ChalkyWhite

Ken or any others that have used raised beds have you found what blaze said to be true a raised box will out perform a smart pot or in my case a geopot ....if that's true I'm all in especially if it will save water. 400 geo squat pots or huge boxs?

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

@ChalkyWhite I used smart pots last season and I have upgraded to boxes in as many places as possible. I built my boxes 5'w x 16'L x 2'Tall, which works out to about 4.25-4.5 yards of soil. I plan to have two plants per box. The cost of the boxes were more than smart pots, but they should last a long time.

ChalkyWhite

ChalkyWhite

@ChalkyWhite I used smart pots last season and I have upgraded to boxes in as many places as possible. I built my boxes 5'w x 16'L x 2'Tall, which works out to about 4.25-4.5 yards of soil. I plan to have two plants per box. The cost of the boxes were more than smart pots, but they should last a long time.
Bulldog11 thanks for the dimensions two per box has my wheels turning.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ken or any others that have used raised beds have you found what blaze said to be true a raised box will out perform a smart pot or in my case a geopot ....if that's true I'm all in especially if it will save water. 400 geo squat pots or huge boxs?
Abso-fucking-lutely. In fact, going for a taller bed can allow for less water use if you use cover crops and other permie methods for water storage. I placed logs in the bottom of the bed my husband built me, soaked those well before planting.

I build my boxes no more than 3' deep, so that I can actually reach across. The plant doesn't need the box to be as wide as it gets.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I have been of the school of thought that cannabis doesn't need to be deeper than 18" deep. I make my beds 24" because I like a little room for mulch/cover crops and room to add soil if needed.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah, I've heard that from lots and lots of people. Yet, I get better performance and resistance to water stress if I build deeper, all while using a fraction of the water everyone else is using. ;)

banditxiv

banditxiv

What about digging a hole about 65gal and filling it up.what's the difference doing it that way to doing it the raised beds or smart pots method?

banditxiv

banditxiv

IMAG1589
Like this one

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Nothing wrong with that method at all. Maybe gophers could be a problem. Also, where I live the ground is mostly clay. If you were to dig a hole and put good draining soil in the hole, then you might puddle at the bottom where the dense clay soil meets your new medium. However all things that could be avoided with proper watering. Good idea.

Some people I know say spend all your money on soil, and just pile it in mounds and plant in the mounds. They grow some fire also.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What about digging a hole about 65gal and filling it up.what's the difference doing it that way to doing it the raised beds or smart pots method?
The only real, functional difference is going to be water loss, and that's dependent on soil profile. If you're in a drought region, I think it's a good idea, myself. If, like Bulldog and myself, you're sitting on very heavy clay with damn near NO percolation, then make it bigger than 65gals, or make it deeper than you think you'll need and line the bottom with gravel.

Thereallenny

Thereallenny

I got about 2.5 lbs. per plant last season and I was in 15 gallon plastic containers. All about the genetics for yield and I wouldn't recommend growing in a 15gallon. I had just moved and I have less space so I thought It would keep em small but all it did was not make them huge but still very decent size. Tangie from seed was the strain.

R

robz

2-3 lbs should be no sweat in a 65 gal. I'm pulling 1.75 lbs. out of 25 gal. Smart pots. Won't do that again though. Watering every day is a pain in the ass but gotta do it in July & August in my area.

Maineymaryjane

Maineymaryjane

Im not trying to knock anyone but from the sounds of alot of these answers im almost positive 90% of these yields bein givin are fake lol. I dont think some people realize how big a 5 lb plant is. Better yet a 10lb plant. Forget 10 cuz ill just say this.if you have a 9 to 5 or and job other than growing youre no way in gods green earthz growing 10lb'ers lol. Unless youre doin like 3 plants lol. Probably not even 5lb'ers. Here are some real number estimates.. 100 gallon =3lbs 200gal=5lbs 300 gal= 7lbs 400 gal=10lbs. And so on. Those estimates are about your max per pot and with some damn good execution. Your medium is very important i recommend making your own. I use a 100% greenwaste wormcastings compost thag i get for 55 a yard from a guy in redwood valley. And mix in some pearlite thats it. I know some ppl gonna say this or that but ive put this stuff up against happy frog and fox farm and it outs produces all. If youre feeding nutrients thats what matters not what a bag says. Those fancy soils are nothing but a medicine show that flushes out in a wk lol. If u want big yield feed,feed,and feed! Top the shit out of your plants and LST the shit out of it. And the key to disease and bugs is preventative maintenance treatment. Spray at intervals from beginnin to flower. Its basic stuff but ppl just dont seem to do it then wonder. Happy farmin yall n good luck

Top Bottom