7-10-15 Gallon Pots

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I'm running 7 gallon Grow Pro Nursery pots right now, just got into week 5 of flower so far so good, I have been thinking about trying out the 10 gallon & 15 gallon pots in my next grow, my question is, is it worth the money to buy the larger pots 10 or 15 gallons, will it make a huge diff switching to the larger pot vs the 7 gallons that I'm using now ??........thanks for any input

datDANK

datDANK

i would stick with 7 gallon smart pots indoors

even outdoors 7 gallons are great for 1 month veg and 2 month flower.. ideally
if you go beyond 7 gallons your will need to veg longer

thats why its good to have a veg room with all 7 gallon ladies.. more than you will ever need

then stick what you need in the flowering room

K

kushtrees

depends on how big of a plant your growing and what medium your using. If your doing trees 10-15g pots are great, if not 7 should work just fine

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I'm running Pro-Mix Bx in the pots, I vegged for 31 days this first run with the 7 gallon pots, why do you have to veg longer if I go to the 10 or 15 gallon pots ?? .....thanks for any help

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Whether its worth it or not depends on your plants and your opinion of them. What do the roots look like at harvest? If they're even touching the sides or bottom, then a larger capacity is going to change their growth pattern.

I don't do soil, but 30 days of veg in 7 gallons sounds tight to me. My instinct is that 10 would give you better results, and at the very least a comfort zone for certain headaches. 15 gallons is going to be a totally different grow, I think.

Again, I don't do soil, and when I did, it was clones in little grow bags, so take my advice for what its worth to you. If you don't have any kind of perpetual-type scenario going on, you might just get a 10 and 15 gallon pot and just see what happens. Then do some math at the end to see what costs you what and find out if its worth it. Worst case is that end up with 2 extra pots that you only used once taking up space somewhere.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

7 gallons = 4 oz
10 gallons= 6/8oz

7 gallons you can carry around
anything over 7 gallons should stay stationary

I hope your not saying a 7 gallon pot will give you 4 oz at harvest and 10 gallons=6/8 oz. Please dont take offense maybe I misunderstood what you said but a 7 gallon pot with the right amount of light, temps, RH, nutes, strain, ect...will yield well over 8 oz maybe even a pound if theres enough light and all the other factors are correctly in place.

@BlueBlood- You said "30 days of veg in 7 gallons sounds tight to me". Its very possible to go from seed to harvest (30 day veg, 60 day flower) with a 7 gallon pot, It might not be ideal depending on strain but I've actually seen it done in 5 gallon pots. He yielded a pound from one 600w and one 5 gallon pot with one plant. A 7 gallon pot is plenty for 1 plant thats goin 90 days from seed to harvest. Thats just from my experience and what I've seen.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

@oscar169 You dont have to veg longer in 10-15 gallon pots but theres no point of using those bigger pots if your not goin to use the space that is available for the roots...so I think what he meant was if your gonna veg longer than use the bigger pots (I'm not sure if thats what he meant but I'm just taking a guess).

datDANK

datDANK

7 gallons = 4 oz
10 gallons= 6/8oz

7 gallons you can carry around
anything over 7 gallons should stay stationary

this is a good benchmark for all organic high quality boutique style bonsai 30 day veg grows indoors
you want these numbers the least. this is new og hybrids that get top dollar

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
@oscar169 You dont have to veg longer in 10-15 gallon pots but theres no point of using those bigger pots if your not goin to use the space that is available for the roots...so I think what he meant was if your gonna veg longer than use the bigger pots (I'm not sure if thats what he meant but I'm just taking a guess).
I went down to the hydro store today a picked up one 10 Gallon & one 15 Gallon pot.
How long should I veg with theses pots ? I'm going to run the same clones (cut from same mother) in them & run the same pro mix in the pots.

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

@BlueBlood- You said "30 days of veg in 7 gallons sounds tight to me". Its very possible to go from seed to harvest (30 day veg, 60 day flower) with a 7 gallon pot, It might not be ideal depending on strain but I've actually seen it done in 5 gallon pots. He yielded a pound from one 600w and one 5 gallon pot with one plant. A 7 gallon pot is plenty for 1 plant thats goin 90 days from seed to harvest. Thats just from my experience and what I've seen.
See? I don't grow in soil. *shrug* The biggest containers I've grown single plants in are 4 and 5 gallon buckets (of water).

I'm also not a big vegger, so in flowering mode, I would be very nervous about water circulation with 3-4 months of roots. Based on this, I was guessing that they would be at least a wee root bound, and would probably benefit from a bit more breathing space. It probably makes no sense to try to compare the two since dirt doesn't have to move around the roots. Then again, I know dirt guys that just let their roots grow out of the bottom of the pots and all over everywhere and don't even give a shit, so hey.

How long should I veg with theses pots ? I'm going to run the same clones (cut from same mother) in them & run the same pro mix in the pots.
Wouldn't you want to go with the same veg time with them to get a comparison?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

See? I don't grow in soil. *shrug* The biggest containers I've grown single plants in are 4 and 5 gallon buckets (of water).

I'm also not a big vegger, so in flowering mode, I would be very nervous about water circulation with 3-4 months of roots. Based on this, I was guessing that they would be at least a wee root bound, and would probably benefit from a bit more breathing space. It probably makes no sense to try to compare the two since dirt doesn't have to move around the roots. Then again, I know dirt guys that just let their roots grow out of the bottom of the pots and all over everywhere and don't even give a shit, so hey.

Wouldn't you want to go with the same veg time with them to get a comparison?

Haha thats funny how you said you know guys that let the roots grow out of the bottom and all over everywhere.

and I guess soil and hydro are completely different, but, whatever you know more bout hydro and I know more bout soil...LOL

K

kushtrees

you shouldnt decide your veg time by pot size, veg them until they are big enough for the space you have.

Iuno about soil either but I grew a 1.2lb plant in a 3.25g pot outside with just coco it was an accident and a crazy grow

I still dont know how big of a plant you are trying to grow, that determines pot size, not veg time. if you dnt know what you are doing and are fucking things up, then you might only need a 2g pot with 30 days veg cuz the plant wont be big at all, if you are in a prime environment and have everything dialed you can have a pretty big plant in 30 days

im with blueblood based on what ive read, veg em the same time and see if theres a difference

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

im with blueblood based on what ive read, veg em the same time and see if theres a difference

I dont think Blueblood said that (maybe I'm wrong), anyways if he is vegging for 30 days then flowering for 60 there is NO need for a bigger pot than 7 gallons (maybe in a few circumstances, but I highly doubt it). Lets say I'm growing in 2 different rooms and EVERY aspect is the exact same (strain, light, temps, ect...) now one room has a 5 gallon pot and the other is a 7 gallon pot. I seriously doubt there will be a big difference, if any. Now with the same scenerio there is 1 room with a 10 gallon pot and the other room with a 3 gallon pot, then yeah, the plant in the 3 gallon pot probably won't do as good because the pot is too small (this is based on the fact that the light is a 600w HID) but if it was a CFL then maybe the 3 gallon pot would be ok, because it won't grow as big under the CFL compared to an HID. IMO

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

I did. I just figured that he'd want to be able to quantify the results he got between the different sizes. That way he could decide what's appropriate for his circumstances.

Haha thats funny how you said you know guys that let the roots grow out of the bottom and all over everywhere.

and I guess soil and hydro are completely different, but, whatever you know more bout hydro and I know more bout soil...LOL
Its true :D

I saw one guy's op in his basement when it started to flood, as it did seasonally. Fortunately, his foundation was crooked and he could keep it drained with a sump in the corner. The concrete stayed wet with swamp water on the high side where the plants were. The roots were growing out of the bottom of his pots and they looked great. They were all gorgeous, fuzzy and white and growing all over concrete damp with swamp water. Not just a little bit, mind you, some were probably 4' or more outside of the pots. In typical old man grower fashion, he didn't give two shits. XD

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I'm going to Veg them all in the same room with the same lenght of time, (same clones from same mother), then see what the yield diff is.
I did run my room a time before with the 3 gallon pots & they were all root bound by the end of Flower. didn't really care for 3 gallons, just to small. I'm just trying to figure out if all the money is worth the upgrade again to go to the 10 or 15 gallon.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

@ Blueblood thats insane 4' roots growing out the pot into swamp water that flooded his basement LMAO

@ oscar169 Good luck on the grow

nangonug

nangonug

Premium Member
Supporter
Been
I'm going to Veg them all in the same room with the same lenght of time, (same clones from same mother), then see what the yield diff is.
I did run my room a time before with the 3 gallon pots & they were all root bound by the end of Flower. didn't really care for 3 gallons, just to small. I'm just trying to figure out if all the money is worth the upgrade again to go to the 10 or 15 gallon.[/quote

There are a lot a variables you do not really go into in determining you pot size. A 15 gallon when properly trained and vegged can and should yeald at the very least 10 to 12 oz. If you are running one 15 gallon per 6oow light thats about right. You can run 4 plants in 5 to 7 gallons pot's. per thousand (sixes seam a bit light for the task but work) and with little effort you should hit a lb. If you get things rocken and learn your strains then you will find the sweet spot where there getting everything with out stress. Try not to root bound them. Get them transplanted when the roots have filled up the pots and give them room to keep growing. Remember that plants send less and less energy to root production the further you go into flower. Figure 2 to 3 week of root growth once they hit the flip. This will be your best indicator of when things should happen. All things equal more root will always yeald more! I found an almost exponential increase in yeald / gallon of soil. There is a point around 20 to 30 gallon's where the curve begins to flatten out. I've tryed 40 gallon's even. Great flower size but the increase droped off considerably. My back really screamed when moving the dirt around and the veg time does take a bit longet. Coco is a different story. I flower most soil in 25 to 30 gallon smart pots and flower in 15 to 25 gallon smart pots for coco mix. If you go coco then 4 properly vegged and trained plants in 3 gallon smart pots on a tray can and should yeald well also. It takes time to learn the whens and how. The larger your grow the harder it becomes to keep up with it as well. If your dealing with limited space like in a tent I would seriously consider setting up a top drip dtw coco. You can do a lot more in less coco then in soil. You can do the same weight in 3 gallons of coco as you do in 10 gallons of soil. Plants grow a bit faster and fill out roots a bit quicker as well. Finished product is top shelf. Not quite properly grown organic quality but dam close. It takes quite a pot snob to tel the diffenence most of the time. I live in a med state and have limited numbers so size maters. If I was not so worried about plant count I would deffenitly run 4 plant's per 1000w in 10 gallons and expect 6 to 8 off of each plant. or better yet 16 in 2 gallon pots or.... The more plants you can fit into the space the less time you have to veg. Its al a mater of finding the proper timing for your chosen style . Hope I helped out best of luck.. Peace

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Damn!! thats why I love this website there is so much professional info its 10x better then all the other "grow" websites put together, I luv the Farm!!

M

Moon Dog

I'm running 7 gallon Grow Pro Nursery pots right now, just got into week 5 of flower so far so good, I have been thinking about trying out the 10 gallon & 15 gallon pots in my next grow, my question is, is it worth the money to buy the larger pots 10 or 15 gallons, will it make a huge diff switching to the larger pot vs the 7 gallons that I'm using now ??........thanks for any input

Buddy just switched from 5 gallon to 15 gallon and vegged for 1 week longer( 30 days) and got 25% more yield. He also changed nutes for this grow. But the biggest thing that he did (and I personally believe makes a difference in dirt ) was to use mycorizzae and beneficial bacteria and feed them with carbs and b vitamins while vegging. Makes for a much bigger and healthier root zone. As we know bigger roots bigger fruits.

The other thing that most people do not consider is that plant genetics have an influence on how big the plant will be at any given time during veg. Some strains will be "mature" earlier than others. Think about the short summer in the hindu kush mountains. If the plant has reached the size that it is programmed to be before it begins reproduction ie; flowering, it will produce more flowers. We are always forcing things inside and then wondering why they don't turn out the way we would like them to. Think about how long it takes outside. that and the Sun are why yields are so much better without much training or human input. Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious.

Bottom line go for the bigger pots and veg longer. You'll be happy with the results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom