8 year old myth debunked - bad science or language barrier?

• Thread starter carBon.14
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
carBon.14

carBon.14

myth: cannabis contains over 400 compounds. i have heard this time and time again. So i finally got off my butt and did a little research, found the paper original paper (from 2006).

http://www.academia.edu/1597849/Aspectos_terapeuticos_de_compostos_da_planta_Cannabis_sativa

see the table of 421 identified compounds.

i’m all for peer reviewed literature but it’s time to debunk this myth, as it has been taken greatly out of context, possibly because it’s written in spanish. from what i can see, these are simply 421 compounds the team isolated (and identified?). this does not mean there are only 421 compounds in cannabis. just by way of example, think about the typical cell and what it contains. plants cells, like our own, have 10s of thousands of protein encoding genes. at various times, various tissue specific cells will be expressing various countless thousands of these proteins. that’s just proteins. the actual number of different molecules these proteins in turn directly or indirectly synthesize, in any cell at any given time would be in the millions, most of which are probably unidentified and/or as yet to be classified. given there are 1000’s of cells types in a plant, at different developmental stages (so expressing different proteins and hence synthesizing different compounds at any one time), it’s clear the sheer number of different molecules is vast.

cannabis buds are not just a composite of 400 compounds of the kind listed in that table; the bulk is cellulose, followed by proteins, nucleic acids, lipids and fatty acids, and a plethora of other compounds (including terpenes e.g. aromatic terpenoids such as cannabinoids).

brought to you by mythbusters. ;)

carBon.14

carBon.14

The studies are referring to what they could detect for cannabinoids not all compounds as your stating.

"(THC); it is one of 483 known compounds in the plant,[7] including at least 84 other cannabinoids"

"Cannabis smoke contains thousands of organic and inorganic chemical compounds."

Source- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)

did you even read the link i provided? it is not talking about only cannabinoids, it mentions amino aids, proteins, terpenes, esters, etc. have a look at the reference for the wiki quote you provided. neither is that source only talking about cannabinoids. yes, it mentions 483 compounds, not 421, but it makes little difference. it evn lists elements as part of that 483! do some more research. you second quote has no reference, so is by default worthless.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

Good find! I would never think to look for info in another language. :oops:

Plasma

Plasma

Nice post! Very informative. Who would have thought myth busters would be on this forum? :P

Ester

Ester

@ carBon.14 ~ No I did not read the article from the link you provided. I had troubles with the webpage. It only gave me a quick flash of text and then asked for me to login to download the article. I did (Do) want to read it.

I might have found the same article online and I used Google translate as I'm not fluent in other languages.

Let me know if that was the same article. I did not see what you were referring to off hand about the chart if indeed I linked to the same article. Anyway I'm not trying to troll your thread.

The reference to the:
["Cannabis smoke contains thousands of organic and inorganic chemical compounds."
Source- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)
Is under the Safety section and I pulled it as quote.]

carBon.14

carBon.14

@ester your ink didn't work for me. the link i provided should work. i didn't need to log in. try it again, close the log in box when it pops up and the wait for the preview to load.

allow me to explain my previous statement.

re. your post:

""(THC); it is one of 483 known compounds in the plant,[7] including at least 84 other cannabinoids"

go to the wiki page and follow the link to reference [7]. it'll come up with a book in google books. if you then search for "483" one of the results comes up with a table, just like in the link i first provided. both the table in my link and the one found through wiki list over 400 compounds, only a percentage of which are cannabinoids.

re. your post:

"Cannabis smoke contains thousands of organic and inorganic chemical compounds."

this has no source. wiki it not a reference unto itself. no university accepts wikipedia as an acceptable source as anyone can edit it without knowing shit about what they are saying. any statement made in wikipedia needs a source to be credible and that source needs to be credible itself. that is how peer review works. yes, intuitively the statement is correct, but it's just some guy posting without any verifiable peer reviewed science to back it up. i do agree with the statement, as i indicated in my first post, but i often see people parroting the "cannabis has only 400 compounds" idea, which i then decided to find out the source of. hence my thread.

Top Bottom