A Dog's Purpose ? (from a 6-year-old)

• Thread starter Donnybrook
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Donnybrook

Donnybrook

Author Unknown , But Brilliant Points to Ponder ,,,

Being a veterinarian , I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said, ''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued, ''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently. There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it.

You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't.

Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING ...

Be Well ,,, :hi:

sticky icky

sticky icky

Awesome post Donnybrook ain't that the truth bro!--now if I could simplify everything like dogs do that would be somethin lol.....

U

unoeye

The stretch before you rise is right on the money, great post brother.

Zonkerly

Zonkerly

I read that the other day on another site,Coleman Collector Fourm,CCF. Printed it out and hung it on a wall in the grow room!!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Brings tears everytime....

A Special Prayer
From A Dog To His Master” Written by Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart
in all the world is more grateful for kindness than
the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I
should lick your hand between the blows, your patience
and understanding will more quickly teach me the things
you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Our last dog ,Grettle a Germanshorthair pointer lived 17 years 10 months to the day. She went everywhere I went and despite everything shutting down she only wanted to be with me. Unconditional love, plain and simple, money cant buy the happiness we shared, fishing, rides in truck, sleeping next to her, there to make things right during the darkest hour and the best of times.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Rrrrr 003

Me and my buddy Riley and I sacked out, hes my buddy boy. Our 4 dogs, 3 Golden retrivers, mom and 2 pups, got it made, farm to romp on, sleep inside, raw grass fed beef, veggies, eggs, raw milk, no medications or vaccinations, the vet said there some of the healthest and beautiful dogs shes ever seen..
We feed them raw ground grass fed beef mixed with Sojos dog food mix, awesome nutrition. These dogs eat everything, fruit, veggies, even onion.
Sojos mix is awesome, costs more than processed dog food, but it pays for itself in the long run with healthy happy dogs....

T

TreFarmer

DAMN GUYS... can I at least wake up before you choke me up;)

As my dog is doing better, These beautiful stories are a poignant reminder that everything will come to an end;( This is natural, and this is life. Yet I am not sure these are lessons I want to learn.
She unknowingly saved me from depression, though I am sure she would/may have known full well what she was doing.
She taught me these things...
Love people regardless...
Find the sunny spot...
Be ready at the drop of a hat to play and shred that hat to pieces...
If there is a time you have to fight, be GAME don't let go til you are the last one standing...
And finally USE YOUR POWERS FOR GOOD LIKE ANY SUPERHERO!!

U

unoeye

German short hair chickenman? Had a couple growing up and they are such cool family members, awesome inside and out super nice and affectionate.

Great bird dogs specially pheasants :D

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
German short hair chickenman? Had a couple growing up and they are such cool family members, awesome inside and out super nice and affectionate.

Great bird dogs specially pheasants :D

Have allway had a German shorthair. Grettle and Ginger were sisters, lost Ginger at about 8 years to bone cancer, called them the pointer sisters.
Ginger was the runt and the owners were going to put her down so i took her and she was the most loving sweet dog ever.

Donnybrook

Donnybrook

Nice Dog Prayer Chicken Man ,

Tre , We're pullin fer you & yer Sidekick ,,,

Be Well ,,,

K

kolah

Great posts all! My life would be empty without my critters.

U

unoeye

Have allway had a German shorthair. Grettle and Ginger were sisters, lost Ginger at about 8 years to bone cancer, called them the pointer sisters.
Ginger was the runt and the owners were going to put her down so i took her and she was the most loving sweet dog ever.

My first dog as a kid was a short hair, she got stollen when I was 12 and she was about 7. I was devastated to say the least and we lived in a rural area.

Second was Pete and was funny as hell. He looked like a greyhound tall and lenky with lots white. Pete had lots of knee problems 2 knee surgeries :(

The pointer sisters, that is awesome I miss seeing them point at random things ;(

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
IMG 1165 800x600

momma Luna and Tank
IMG 0236 800x600

Riley and Grettle
IMG 1039 800x600

4 of 10 pups
IMG 0304 800x600

Momma Luna as a pup

T

TreFarmer

My gramps shorthairs were awesome...
Rip would retrive trash around the local sports store to the delight of kids and parents too!
He would stay on point for hours, and hunt? THAT DOG COULD HUNT!!
His line was eventually bred to give a great hunting dog with homogenous traits..
Dogs were like carbon copies, every pup having a heart shaped "saddle" on their back!! I have seen two dogs come through our center I swear are my gramps line over 20 years later... colors, saddle and temperanment all identical to the dogs I was raised with!!
Wanted to dognap one;)

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
great posts all! My life would be empty without my critters.

So true,my good friends also supply us with incredable nutrition...

GOATS 015 800x600

My gal Polly,a bottle baby. Her Mother Molly died in my arms 2 days after birthing 3 kids, Polly Dolly, and Wally. I promised her I would take care of her kids and she closed her eyes and died in my arms of milk fever, fucking stupid ass vet missdiagnosed and when we found out it was too late. She lived just long enough to supply her last kids with closterm so they would live, thanks Molly for all the milk, cheese, meat and love you provided.
GOATS 010 800x600

Pump it out. My friend honeygirl sure delivers lots of good milk.
GOATS 023 800x600

My Honeygirl, Another one of Mollies kids. Thats Mr Brown, sucking lived a good life before being butchered, kinda tough, but they could not live a better life anywhere else.......

Donnybrook

Donnybrook

One Must Always Remember ,

To a Dog , Ti's Their World & they are Kind Enough to let Us live in it with em . And we figure we got Them trained .

Tre , Again The Best O'Luck . Maybe some Hash Oil might help yer Pup ??? Must be somewhere to research some Safe Cannabis Treatments fer Canines . I'll betcha a fellow farmer in the Know chimes up with some research data , I Hope .

Chicken Man , I'm feckin moving in with You , Clear out the guest room as yer Pup's have got it made . I'll bring some Organic dog treats & some rollin papers & We'll talk to the animals ,,,

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
One Must Always Remember ,

To a Dog , Ti's Their World & they are Kind Enough to let Us live in it with em . And we figure we got Them trained .

Tre , Again The Best O'Luck . Maybe some Hash Oil might help yer Pup ??? Must be somewhere to research some Safe Cannabis Treatments fer Canines . I'll betcha a fellow farmer in the Know chimes up with some research data , I Hope .

Chicken Man , I'm feckin moving in with You , Clear out the guest room as yer Pup's have got it made . I'll bring some Organic dog treats & some rollin papers & We'll talk to the animals ,,,

You can suckle right from goat, cant get any fresher than that!!!

Donnybrook

Donnybrook

You can suckle right from goat, cant get any fresher than that!!!

That's Exactly what she said to me last night ,

But from Mammary , Oops Memory she called em Breastickles & the last thing I remember is it all turning into a sticky situation with Multiple Happy Endings .

How many critters ya got there Down On The Farm Chicken Man ? They All certainly look well cared for & happy as hell .

Be Well ,,, :hi:

Top Bottom