a few different soil mixes..

• Thread starter slausongardens
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
slausongardens

slausongardens

there are a few super soil mixes floating around the web that people use. just add water and go formulas. the most popular are revs tlo soil mix, subcools and moonshinemans.. i also added one by a guy named lumperdawgz from another forum just because i respect his knowledge on organics and i dont think rev, subcool or moonshineman know half of what he knows so i figured his mix is the perfect base to work form. also added a mix ive been making recently after using revs mix for a while.. its been a lot better for me, less muddy, better drainage, just awesome. in the future ill probably work on using less amendments and see how it works.

if youre growing a lot of plants or using very large pots, making your own soil will save you A LOT of money, i couldnt imagine buying 10-20 bags of ffof at $20 each. and it will save you more money and time by not using nutes, or phing, just add water and some teas. ive always grown hydro and i experimented making my own soil just for my mothers and it worked out so good ive never looked back. these plants just stay so healthy, green and happy the whole way through, no fixing deficiencies and figuring problems out constantly, having to buy different bottled nutes to fix the plants.. and the buds are so tasty and perfect. a lot better imo. so i suggest everyone should try one of these mixes.

SUBCOOLS SUPER SOIL MIX

8 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs Bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
3 lbs rock phosphate
¾ cup Epson salts
½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)
½ cup azomite (trace elements)
2 tbsp powdered humic acid

REV'S TRUE LIVING ORGANICS SUPER SOIL MIX

TLO Mix 2011 Supernatural Version 2.1 BY: THE REV
Master Soil-Mix Recipe

BASE MIX
2 gal Quality Organic Soil-mix (or good organic recycled soil mix)
2 gal Thoroughly Rinsed Coir (coconut fiber)
2 gal Perlite (small nugget size)
2 gal Earthworm Castings (fresh earthworm castings, and/or fresh compost works too)
AMENDMENTS
1½ cup Grow or Bloom ‘Pure’ by Organicare (or 1 cup 5-5-5)
½ cup Greensand
¾ cup Ground Oyster Shells (1 cup if no crushed oyster shells)
1½ cup Crushed Oyster Shells (optional)
½ cup Dolomite Lime (powdered)
1 cup Prilled (pelletized) Fast Acting Dolomite Lime
¼ cup Blood Meal (and/or High N Bird/Bat Guano 12-8-2 N-P-K if flowering 1/8 cup of each)
¼ cup (heaping) Feather Meal
1 cup un-steamed (granular) Bone Meal (like Whitney Farms brand)
½ cup Bulb Food (3-8-8 as one good N-P-K example)
¼ cup Soft Rock Phosphate (powdered)
½ cup (heaping) Gypsum (powdered)
½ cup Kelp Meal
4 cups (heaping) Composted Steer Manure (this inoculates your mix with specialized bacteria and primo organic matter)
½ cup Azomite granular (add an additional ¼ cup greensand if no Azomite)
1 cup Humic Acid Ore granular (like from Down to Earth brand)
1 cup Alfalfa Meal (or 2 cups pellets – make sure pellets are all organic no additives)
½ cup Rock Phosphate Granular (optional)
1 cup (heaping) organic rice (important for the good fungi in this soil-mix)

This mix should be moistened (Do not get it soaking wet!) with chlorine free water, and turned over every few days, for about 15 days before use. This is what I call “cooking” your soil, and letting it get pretty dry before use, is fine. The nutrients don’t evaporate or anything, so no worries there, per storage over time. If this soil-mix turns out to be too hot (powerful) for some reason, just cut it with good bagged organic soil until you get the strength your environment and genetics demands.
I find cooking mine for about 30 days works the best for me, but I have often used it sooner, like at 2 weeks, and just remember the warmer it is outside wherever the soil-mix is at, the faster the cooking processes will happen. You can use a pH meter (soil pH meter) to tell when it is done cooking too. I wait until it is in the 6.2 – 6.8 range, which normally takes about 2 weeks, because as it kicks off cooking the pH will often be very low, like around 4.9 isn’t uncommon when it first starts to cook.
ONLY FOR USE WITH PURE WATER SOURCES, LIKE REVERSE OSMOSIS, RAIN, OR DISTILLED WATER. DO NOT USE WELL, TAP, OR SPRING WATER WITH THIS RECIPE.
This soil-mix is meant to be used along with the spike and layer TLO dynamic, and while it is quite capable of standing alone, it works supernaturally when you add the spike and layering dynamics.

Killer Spike Blends...

Spike #1 vegg
½ cup blood
½ cup steamed bone meal
½ cup high N bat/bird guano
½ cup feather meal
½ cup kelp meal
1 tablespoon ground oyster shell (optional)

Spike #2 all-purpose/flowering
½ cup feather meal
¼ cup bulb food 3-8-8
¼ cup soft rock phosphate
½ cup steamed bone meal
½ cup high P bat/bird guano
½ cup kelp meal
1 tablespoon ground oyster shell (optional)

- Revski

slausongardens

slausongardens

MOONSHINE MANS MIX

"Lookin good....the mix is super simple...you can use it from seed to flower it just doesnt need the dry ferts (peace of mind) early on.....Watering is the Key to this mix...overwater and youll see all sorts of weird "nute def" poppin up....let it dry completely and the probs disappear......the Current mix goes a lil sumthin like this...

(bag of each)
bag of Ocean Forest
bag of Planting Mix (guano/castings)
bag of Light Warrior
bag of Black Gold
1 Coco Brick(small brick)
1 cup peace of mind (for flower)
2- 5 gal buckets worth of perilite....
And the LARGE Chunky Perilite...RULES....small perilite packs down over time ...the large perilite creates huge air pockets for the roots to grow through....over the last 3 yrs anytime I have gone back to the small diameter perilite my plants SUFFER and yeilds diminish.....You have to try the stuff to understand and even then you may not comprehend (like me) the benefits the large core perlite makes.....great stuff....
Romulator has been usin my mix for a couple of yrs now and he is like me always tinkering and tweakin the mix...but in the end its the core 3 bag fox farm mix that makes this shit work....
my only "additives" Id tell anyone to try would be "Fish Mix" from biobizz for a lil boost in veg and Advanced Nutes "Moter Earth Super Tea" for a lil boost on day 25-30 for LARGE plants ......But honestly the mix dont need nuthin....
Keep up the good work....."

Moonshine

LUMPERDAWGZ MIX (lumperdawgz is at another site and is an expert on organic growing)

I start of with Sunshine Organic Growers Mix which consists of 40% organic peat moss, 30% organic coir (washed and inoculated with trichoderma spores), 10% perlite, 10% vermiculite and 10% pumice (medium size). The reasons that all 3 are added by the manufacturer has to do with the CEC (cation exchange capacity) of these 3 aeration amendments. The soil is ph adjusted with dolomite lime and is treated with organic yucca extract as a wetting agent.

This is a professional 'soilless mix' for the nursery plant industry. All of the products used are the best available.

BTW - Sunshine Mix is manufactured by Sun Gro Horticulture which also manufactures Black Gold products (their consumer line) and some other products that appear at Home Depot and Loews, etc. Sunshine Mixes are generally available in the Western US and ProMix is manufactured and distributed in the Eastern US. There is no difference between the 2 products if you're comparing apples to apples.

To the soil I add 25% organic compost, 1 cf. of pumice or rice hulls and that's the basic soil

To that I add 1 cup (per 1 cf.) seed meal (equal parts of canola, cottonseed, flaxseed and alfalfa) to replace the bloodmeal ('N') and organic fish bone meal (4-20-0) to replace the bonemeal in the original LC Mix.

I add about 1.5 cf. of glacial rock dust to the soil mix. This is important because the fungai use the exudes created by the bacteria (a slime is produced) that are 'mainlined' into the root hairs from mycorrhazie attached to the root hairs.

About 1/4 cup of kelp meal and 1 tablespoon of mycorrhizal fungus to each 5 gallon pot and I sprinkle about 1/4 cup of neem seed meal as a top dressing.

That's it other than applying aerated compost teas at the beginning of the veg cycle and then again at the beginning of the flower cycle (a high-fungai tea facilitates the take-up of phosphorous). Just water and I hit them with a foiliar spray of fish enzyme and seaweed extract 1x a week and neem seed oil 2x times a week through veg and the first couple of weeks in the flower cycle to prevent mites and powdery mildew.

It works without any burning, stunted growth, whatever. Just add water. This soil costs me less than $6.00 per cf. to put together.

LumperDawgz

SLAUSON SUPER SOIL (i put together a soil mix based off of a couple other ones ive done, just took the pieces from each one that i liked)

one bail pro mix bx (3.8 cf) 70% peat moss 30% perlite
one bag coco coir (1.7)
or one bail of canadian peat moss (3.8cf) one bag of coco coir (1.7cf) and a bag of perlite (1.7cf) instead of the promix
two smaller bags of earthworm castings (1.7)
1 small bag of pumice
7 cups ff peace of mind or organicare pure
2.5 cups fast acting pelletized lime
1.25 cups blood meal
1.25 cups feather meal
5 cups fish bone meal
2.5 cups bulb food
1.25 cups soft rock phosphate
2.5 cups kelp meal
5 cups alfalfa meal
12 cups steer manure

and if you can find these and want to add some extras then these are perfect but i dont find them all mandatory.

2.5 cups greensand
5 cups oyster shells
2.5 cups dolomite lime
2.5 cups gypsum
2.5 cups azomite
2.5 cups epsom salts
5 cups humic acid ore
1 cup high nitrogen bat guano

sprinkle mykos at the bottom of the root hole in each pot

let cook for 20-30 days or more. water with chlorine free water and turn every day to every few days. cooks faster in the sun. fills up a big kiddie pool. no nutes necessary, just water and a few AACT's. once at beginning of veg and once at at beginning of flower or every third watering. teas have ewc, alaskan humus, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, seaweed extract, fish hydrosylate, humic acid, mollasses

if anyone else has their own soil mix feel free to post it up.. or if you have experienece with any of these, let us know how it went for you.

thanks.

manitoid.

manitoid.

Not mine but I've been using it for a while, both supersoil and base with nutes.

LC's Mix (choose a base option and a nute option and combine)

Base soil:
(option 1)
5 parts Canadian Sphagnum Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts worm castings or mushroom compost or home made compost
2 Tbsp/gal Dolomite Lime

(option 2)
6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up) / Fox Farm Ocean Forest or Light Warrior
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
2 Tbsp/gal Dolomite Lime

Nute mix:
(option 1)
1 tablespoon Blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons Bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix

(option 2)
1/3C hi N Guano Mexican Bat Guano or Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
1/2C hi P Guano (Jamaican or Indonesian Bat Guano)
1TBS Kelp Meal

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
i noticed that none of the lists have muriate of potash...i wonder why that is?
from what my old man told me..that stuff can b rocket fuel for flowering plants?

slausongardens

slausongardens

do you have any info on muriate of potash? i think ive seen it a few times but dont really know what it is or what it does.. would be awesome to find out that it really is rocket fuel for plants.

nice mix manitold, very similar to how i do it, i think in the future i might use that one cuz im working on less amendments and seeing if i get the same results.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
do you have any info on muriate of potash? i think ive seen it a few times but dont really know what it is or what it does.. would be awesome to find out that it really is rocket fuel for plants.

nice mix manitold, very similar to how i do it, i think in the future i might use that one cuz im working on less amendments and seeing if i get the same results.
its 0-0-60 and it would b the k part of npk rite? its in a salt form and soulable also

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
im gonna go peep oput the bag and see what it says

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
the bag says
DSC01646

manitoid.

manitoid.

Not sure I'd use that, Potassium Chloride?

It wouldn't play well with the microherd. I'd go very light if you do.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
Not sure I'd use that, Potassium Chloride?

It wouldn't play well with the microherd. I'd go very light if you do.
just wikipedia d that , and there is some crazy info there

limes

limes

I wonder why its not recommended for container grown plants?

Has anyone used any of the above soil mixes? I wonder if they are worth the effort to make.

Limes

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
i used the subcool super soil and it works great. i even used it with bottled additives to go into beast mode

I'm thinking about giving the ladies a organic P/K boost here shortly. I did it last run to without problem.

outwest

slausongardens

slausongardens

wow thats a lot of k. usually i dont think you need much k but if youre lacking in it a little of that will surely help. dang. i might try a dash of it one day.

odogodo

odogodo

Not mine but I've been using it for a while, both supersoil and base with nutes.

LC's Mix (choose a base option and a nute option and combine)

Base soil:
(option 1)
5 parts Canadian Sphagnum Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts worm castings or mushroom compost or home made compost
2 Tbsp/gal Dolomite Lime

(option 2)
6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up) / Fox Farm Ocean Forest or Light Warrior
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
2 Tbsp/gal Dolomite Lime

Nute mix:
(option 1)
1 tablespoon Blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons Bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix

(option 2)
1/3C hi N Guano Mexican Bat Guano or Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
1/2C hi P Guano (Jamaican or Indonesian Bat Guano)
1TBS Kelp Meal

Hi Manioid,

I'm interested in preparing a supersoil that I just need to add tea brews to, all the way through flower. Do you think I could do that with LC's mix, or will I need to supplement it with something else. How is it working for you? What nutes are you using? (Sorry if I'm asking something dumb, I'm pretty new at this.) Thanks!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I can speak for SubCool's mix, this shit is rocking my garden like never before. The only things I've added are:

Veg:

Cap's Tea with almost every feeding - I go super light on nutes in the tea and focus on microbes
CoCo Cat

Flower:

Cap's tea (again very low nute high microbe)
CoCo Cat
Banana Manna
Mix hi p guano into tea once
Mix high k kelp into tea one
Mix both into tea once

I'm use filtered but not RO water. Flushing with that now. Flushing is probably the wrong word when I haven't been watering in nutes for the most part. The ladies seemed to like the P & K boost I gave them. No burn to speak of, but I did a very light dosage.

outwest

odogodo

odogodo

Hi outwest,

Do you boil the coir you add to Subcool's mix? I see on the coir forum that a lot people boil their coir to get rid of root aphids.

odogodo

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
SubCool's recipe does not call for coir, the base is roots organic which has coir as one of many ingredients. I do not boil or bake the soil. I think there were bugs in it, but caps bennies took care of that.

outwest

Latest posts

Top Bottom