A few questions for only the seasoned growers

• Thread starter THegrowshow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
click80

click80

I wish I could have quoted what you quoted (no nesting quotes!) from the Hygrozyme website, but really what I read there was nothing more than a bunch of mumbo jumbo, and they never really said anything. Not what it IS, only talking loosely about what it does, and not in terms that are easily understood such that they could be relayed in anything resembling an intelligent, or intelligible manner.

What do they mean when they say that enzyme formulas are the gold standard for STERILIZATION in the medical industry? This is something I have never once read or experienced and even upon the most cursory examination elsewhere can be found as untrue (heat and certain chemicals, yes, enzymes, no). What enzyme formulas, and how does that relate to their formula? I'm going to call bullshit on that assertion right there, which places each and every other assertion they've made into the Highly Suspect Category.

In fact, when I search on sterilization methods and methodology, enzymes and anything that uses 'enzymatic action' never comes up. Many other things, like radiation, do.

Doesn't mean Hygrozyme doesn't do what's advertised. It means that they put a lot of mumbo jumbo bullshit into their advertising and "information."

To be clear, also, I'm not calling you out. I'm calling the manufacturer out.

I was reading on this just the other day doing some research for going organic...but here is one link i was doing some reading on the refresh my enzyme knowledge...I say that you can get your own enzymatic formula like in aquaculture but its a pretty steep learning curve...I guess i should add that on this page they state what I is the real steps, enzymes are used to clean off organic material before sterilization...in other words i am with you if they cannot either state it correctly or not manipulate words, I wouldn't trust Hygrozyme either....and i dont, i tried to get help from them one time on the phone and i ended up hanging up.

and here is a good thread on here with what got me started originally on this enzyme quest...

Hermitian

Hermitian

... I have a bottle of GrowMore seaweed extract that I use a little of here and there. ...

The Grow More BioCozyme product costs the same as their seaweed extract, but it also contains the enzymes and hormones you are interested in.

P

Pimples

This is an old post but i dont care. I have to say this. I know Nitrozime is pricey. But at the dilution rates it calls for it lasts me awhile. I buy it for the convenience and its hands down the most effective additive ive ever used. I spray every 4 to 7 days soon as roots strike (not before...important) all the way into 3 weeks of flowering. This depends on variety. I mix it with Bioag Fulpower fulvic and Sticky yucca saponin wetting agent (only a little bit per quart spray bottle) I soak my crops every week or so with this spray under my 3 - 8 bulb t5 lamps soon as the 18 - 6 light photoperiod kicks on. I top and prune for bushy lateral growth for up to 5 weeks in veg. Then they go into the flower rooms. I still continue to spray and they might stretch a little but ive prepared for this in veg and its a good thing. This is very strain and room condition dependent. Anyways...i keep weekly foliars of this juice until 3 weeks usually. My blooms are earlier. My harvests are bigger. My crops just glow. Ive done several side by sides with treated plants and without. Same proven strains. There is no doubt. Nitrozime is doing what it claims to do. It greatly amplifies whatever stage the plant is in. You can keep the enzymes....small bottle root stimulators...even p/k boosters. A base nutrient and the above for weekly sprays is all you need. Maybe a little silica throughout also (just a little....and Harley Smith told me its much more effective watered in with it added first before mixing the base fertilizers...dont know where the silica as a foliar came from).

Last edited:
Winged Sun

Winged Sun

Ok I have been a drain to waste guy for years so hygrozyme has did me just fine, but in another post I read on undercurrent Dave who is a rep (or maybe the owner) for current culture hydroponics wasn't really for hygrozyme in hydroponic systems. But one thing we as farmers need to do is be more specific to help the newbies. I am 100% for hygrozyme in drain to waste as far as recirculating system I would lean towards no with the previous feedback and Dave's so so recommendation of hygrozyme for undercurrent(although for other recirculating systems it may be fine).

I also have been researching pond cleaners and wastewater treatment products and found some cool faqs that can help us farmers further understand how bacteria and enzymes relate to one another. The really cool thing about these questions also is that they also compare bacterial products vs. straight enzyme products. But the questions are as follows:

8. How quickly do high enzyme producing bacterias produce enzymes.. and in what quantities?
Production of enzymes begins as soon as the bacteria begin to grow. The cells must obtain nutrients from their surroundings, so they secrete enzymes to degrade the available food. The quantities of enzymes produced vary depending on the bacterial species and the culture conditions (e.g., nutrients, temperature, and pH) and growth rate. Hydrolytic enzymes such as proteases, amylases, and cellulases, etc. are produced in the range of milligrams per liter to grams per liter.

10. Are these quantities enough to start to compare to straight enzyme products?

Since we don't have any information on the enzyme content of current "straight enzyme" products, it is difficult to answer this question. It is also a function of dosing of the product (i.e., how much, how often). In general, one can assume that the customer could have more control over initial enzyme concentration by adding a prepared enzyme product. However, bacterial cultures can produce competitive amounts of enzyme after a short colonization period. Bacteria can grow very quickly, doubling their populations in as little as 20-40 minutes. In some applications, it is common to "boost" bacterial colonization by adding a small amount of prepared enzyme to begin degrading the available food. This is often done in composting processes to jump-start the bacterial/fungal growth.

1. What are Bacteria?

Bacteria are single-celled organisms that do not have well-defined organelles such as a nucleus. The cells are typically enclosed in a rigid cell wall and a plasma membrane. Bacteria contain all of the genetic material necessary to reproduce, and they reproduce by simple cellular division. Bacteria show a wide range of nutrient requirements and energy-related metabolism. Some bacteria require only minerals and a carbon source such as sugar for growth, while others require more complex growth media. Bacteria play an extremely important role in recycling nutrients in the environment. Bacteria break down organic matter into simple compounds like carbon dioxide and water, and they cycle important nutrients such as nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorus. Bacteria can migrate to areas that are rich in specific nutrients that they require for growth. Bacteria can also attach themselves to surfaces and form communities known as biofilms.

2. What are Enzymes... An enzyme is a protein that acts as a catalyst. The enzyme is responsible for accelerating the rate of a reaction in which various substrates are converted to products through the formation of an enzyme-substrate complex. In general, each type of enzyme catalyzes only one type of reaction and will operate on only one type of substrate. This is often referred to as a "lock and key" mechanism. As a consequence, enzymes are highly specific and are able to discriminate between slightly different substrate molecules. In addition, enzymes exhibit optimal catalytic activity over a narrow range of temperature, ionic strength and pH.

3. Do enzymes break down any molecule or just specific ones and how specific do they get?

The specificity of an enzyme for it's substrate is generally a function of the enzyme's "active site" or binding site. The structure of the protein determines the range of substrates or "keys" that can fit into the lock. Most enzymes are exquisitely specific. That is, they react only with one specific substrate. Some enzymes, however, have a more flexible active site that can accommodate molecules that are closely related to the target substrate. In this case, there is typically a preferred substrate with which the enzyme reacts at a higher rate than with related compounds.

Blah blah blah what does all this mean. Ok the compounds that bacteria break down are complex and there molecules are also long and complex. So bacteria release an enzyme (or in the case of hygrozyme it releases the enzyme for us) to break down these long complex chains (molecules). Once they are broken down into something doable the bacteria can now consume the smaller molecules. Some thoughts for further consideration relate to these enzymatic products making nutrient available that we might not want....like nitrogen in late flowering. I don't use hygrozyme in late flowering stages because I worry that it does exactly that. Also these enzymes(weather fungal or bacterial) function in very specific environments and doing things like adjusting the oh or having drastic temp swings or thing like that can have a disastrous effect on the amounts of bennys in the soil. Always remember just like its hard to duplicate the strength of the sun its also hard to duplicate the diversity and number of bennys(beneficial bacteria and fungi...should have said that earlier for the newbies) in container gardening that would be present in good ole mother nature so whatever help we can get (thru products like hygrozyme that provide a food source for bacteria helping them to multiply)

But back to my original question I wish someone would tell me what fucking enzymes are in hygrozyme...hell we don't even know if they are enzymes that are more specific to fungi or bacteria but whatever. In my efforts to dial in on my nutrient regiment I guess I'm going to have to be happy knowing the shit works and leave it at that.
Based on smell and experience...Hygrozyme is a malted barley enzymatic solution.

Winged Sun

Winged Sun

Make your own enzyme and PGR formulas with foliar and feed applications of sprouted seed tea. A little research and you will know @ what stage to apply these.

Pennies folks...pennies for every application.

There is no formula out there that has out hacked mother natures own designs imho.

Yes you can combine organics and "chems". Use at very mild solutions after your microherd is developed.

I use "chems", KIND 3 part.

I build fungi life in my medium from seed/cutting through veg.

I build lactic acid life in my mediun for flowering.

I make worm compost tea with added MILD nitrozyme and Humic/Fulvic acids. Applied at all life stages. Foliar and feed.

I dont use pots except outdoor for plant rotation and ease of access. 15g Geopots. Can pull 1lbs per plant and more in a pot that requires much less water than much larger versions.

Indoor I grow in Geoplanters with rice hull mulch.

It all works, just know why you are doing what you do.

Winged Sun

Winged Sun

This is an old post but i dont care. I have to say this. I know Nitrozime is pricey. But at the dilution rates it calls for it lasts me awhile. I buy it for the convenience and its hands down the most effective additive ive ever used. I spray every 4 to 7 days soon as roots strike (not before...important) all the way into 3 weeks of flowering. This depends on variety. I mix it with Bioag Fulpower fulvic and Sticky yucca saponin wetting agent (only a little bit per quart spray bottle) I soak my crops every week or so with this spray under my 3 - 8 bulb t5 lamps soon as the 18 - 6 light photoperiod kicks on. I top and prune for bushy lateral growth for up to 5 weeks in veg. Then they go into the flower rooms. I still continue to spray and they might stretch a little but ive prepared for this in veg and its a good thing. This is very strain and room condition dependent. Anyways...i keep weekly foliars of this juice until 3 weeks usually. My blooms are earlier. My harvests are bigger. My crops just glow. Ive done several side by sides with treated plants and without. Same proven strains. There is no doubt. Nitrozime is doing what it claims to do. It greatly amplifies whatever stage the plant is in. You can keep the enzymes....small bottle root stimulators...even p/k boosters. A base nutrient and the above for weekly sprays is all you need. Maybe a little silica throughout also (just a little....and Harley Smith told me its much more effective watered in with it added first before mixing the base fertilizers...dont know where the silica as a foliar came from).
Foliar is good because you can get much of the applied nutrient in the root zone within 2 hours in many cases

MendoAdome

MendoAdome

Bottomline is:

If you got slime you have Phythum some similar disease, increase your bennes or sometime of benne bacteria. By using cellulose and the breaking down of dead plant matter will not cause slime if your doing your weekly ressy change.

1) Hygrozyme and Cannzyme are two different products. Do your research and you will see the distinct difference.
2) Yes you can mix organic with synthetic but be careful organic breaks down slower and and slam the plant into nute burn.
3) Get nitrozyme, yes its expensive, but its a concentrate form of seaweed extract and your plants will love you for it. Seaweed extracts in powder also are very effective.

P

Pimples

Foliar is good because you can get much of the applied nutrient in the root zone within 2 hours in many cases
Its not the nutrient value iam after with Nitrozime. Its the plant hormone Cytokinin. It makes for a ridiculously bushy and very green plant in veg which translates into healthy tops later in flower. A defined increase in yield. Moreso than any other additive ive ever used. Puts pk bloom boosters to shame. And great for early root develpoment too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom