A few specific questions for new rdwc build

• Thread starter Legallyflying
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Hey gang! Let me start off by saying how stoked I am to see some informative threads on rdwc. I spend most my time over at RIU but was sent over here for more info

Anywho, I have several hydro grows under my belt and switched to dwc last round. Running BC nutes in linked buckets I saw allot of sediment build up and some lack of air problems so decided I would give rdwc a try and I'm building up a system. I've got a chiller, 1250 gph pump, two 110 liter air pumps and alita 3.5" discs and I'm growing under 2 rows of 3 600's. Sealed room, co2, mini split, blah blah blah.

So finally the questions.. I'm debating between 8 or 6 plants. My room is 11 feet deep by 7 wide. The biggest question is module size. I have square 5 gallon buckets that are about 12" square and 20" high. I also have some 13 gallon totes that are about 14x20 and 13" high. I'm worried that these are not tall enough? I veg in 5 gallon dwc for about 3 weeks then move into the flower room. I only have a 6.75' ceiling so can't grow monsters... Is 13 gallon overkill?

Last question.. 2" pipe or 3" pipe?

Thanks for any suggestions. Looking forward to jumping into rdwc!!

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Hi Bro

I would go with the 13 gal as most growers fill that with roots if you go with the 5 gal you will run out of room. If you don't mind paying the extra 3" is the way to go. You will also need to cut your nutrients back by about 60%. Don't use bennies in there as it tends to not work out very well and the UC people say just say no to bennies. Use Zone. They moved your thread sponsorship is by UC, but that's the place to hang for all the info. did you get a tri-meter? I will be starting my UC up in a few days. Decided to change out the cool tubes for hoods, more focused light pattern, 4x4 at 5 feet. Welcome to the farm, all business over here, not like home...

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

roger on no bennies. So know hesinberg tea :( I don't have a full time tri meter but I will be getting one shortly.

Hey, weren't you going to use BC nutes on one of your rdwc runs? How did t6hat work? Seems like everyone is going the dutch mater route. I still have about 15-20 gallons of BC nutes on the shelf.

St3ve

St3ve

I would have to vote for the 5gal if that's what you've been using already. How full are the buckets with roots in your veg system? My buckets are 7g and I usually get buckets that are HALF full of roots by the end of harvest. (I also don't use any root excel or anything else). My plants get around 3-4' tall from the top of the buckets and average 6oz per plant give or take. Sounds like your plants are going to be smaller so I'm guess they'd be fine.
I would also go with the 3" pipe. Its overkill probably but if you do eventually go bigger you can reuse all of the materials.

I personally use Aquashield once a week in veg and flower for root health. I have a bottle of Zone in case I start smelling funky water but I have not used it in over a year.

Good luck

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Thanks for the advice. The short answer...I'm not sure how full they are going to be. I used the 5 gallons with ebb flow hydro ton and they were packed with roots by the end.. But then again 60% of the bucket is hydroton.

This last round (my first DWC) I vegged under a scrog for almost 7 weeks. The 5 gallons were full of roots at the end of the veg cycle so I transferred them to the shorter and fatter 13 gallon containers right before the flip. The end result...I don't think they liked it as I had little new root growth and even though I had two airstones in there, it was hard to keep the bubbles flowing over all the roots as the container was so wide compared to the narrow square block of roots. Hope this makes sense.

I am doing away with the scrog and reducing plant numbers. I was hoping to pull a little less than a pound per plant and 600 light...so that would be six plants total. I have friends pulling that much per plant in drip cocco. I would just train allot to keep them squat and spread out. This leads me to think the broader and shallower container would be better to all the canopy to mimic the roots in terms of spread. I have read and heard that there is a correlation between the two

Any thoughts? I feel like a complete news again which is frustration but it is mostly a function of nobody I know running rdwc to get advice from.

D

ddftre

From what I read on here all the mpb's use short and fat tubs,

R

RustyShakleford

I have a 4 Bucket RDWC with all 5 gallon buckets and so far its seems to be working great. Cant get into my buckets to check the roots anymore, but I am in my 3rd week of flower and budding up nicely.

I would definitely go with the larger return line that will help with a bigger water pump, and try to get rid of the Air Pumps and stones. Use Flooming or Waterfall the water into the buckets for better DO. This is what I am going to do with my next run. My return line is 3/4" so I am not really moving enough water for proper DO without the air pump.

Good luck!

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Just finishe building the system with 10g sterlite containers, 3" connecting pipe and a 1250gph pump with 1" PVC tubing.

I think you would be I'll advised to deleate your airstones. Waterfall or whatever the hel your planning.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

I would go with 13 gallon or even larger. During our first year of testing we filled 10 gallon buckets before flower. When ended up with 18 gallon buckets.

You should also make sure and get the right kind of plastic as cheap buckets will leech chemicals into your water over time. I cringe every time I see a DIY using cheap Lowe's buckets or something similar. It is kinda ironic/funny also because these same growers will complain and worry about PGR's being in the products they use.

Also, using the waterfall method or using water pumps instead of air stones and air pumps is WAY more efficient at saturating DO levels. Just a FYI.

Cheers!

R

RustyShakleford

Just finishe building the system with 10g sterlite containers, 3" connecting pipe and a 1250gph pump with 1" PVC tubing.

I think you would be I'll advised to deleate your airstones. Waterfall or whatever the hel your planning.

Before Bashing suggestions after asking for advice, you might want to do a little more research. Flooming and Waterfalls are indeed much more efficient when it comes to DO in your water than an airstone ever will. Its practically a staple in Koi ponds around the world these days..

R

RustyShakleford

I would go with 13 gallon or even larger. During our first year of testing we filled 10 gallon buckets before flower. When ended up with 18 gallon buckets.

You should also make sure and get the right kind of plastic as cheap buckets will leech chemicals into your water over time. I cringe every time I see a DIY using cheap Lowe's buckets or something similar. It is kinda ironic/funny also because these same growers will complain and worry about PGR's being in the products they use.

Also, using the waterfall method or using water pumps instead of air stones and air pumps is WAY more efficient at saturating DO levels. Just a FYI.

Cheers!

Lowes buckets are being used quite successfully. They are also Food grade, Dark, and quite durable. You don't want to use the Home Depot buckets in any way shape or form.

R

rumer

The white lowes buckets r food grade..........the grey ones are recycled plastic....no tellin whats in em....look at the description on the lowes website it tells you.....

Top Bottom