A Forum Breeding Project (in more than 5 words)

• Thread starter Grownsince95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LaneStrainley

LaneStrainley

Not a pundit..but I believe all pollen around the plant is the "same". But every single pollen grain is a gamete on its own that has randomly selected 9 of its 10 chromosomes to pass along to the female. So technically, even pollen from the same sac are all different in the traits passed along. Obviously its confined to the DNA of the plant but because cannabis is so heterozygous, the variation is much greater than Mendel's true breeding peas were.
This is 100% right, if you do it in large enough test numbers you will find that the female prefers a specific sequence. If you take two males of the same strain with different dominate and recessive traits, mix the pollen together with a carrier then apply. The mother will choose to mate in greater numbers with one over the other. You will get more developed seeds of the pollen she prefers. This is of course anecdotal, and my experiments are no where near large enough to promote this as gospel, but so far in 20years I found this to be accurate. Maybe a more experienced breeder could chime in here.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

I was thinking about names for this Sherbet cross today. 🤔 I think it's a fun tradition to honor the parents with a clever play on words right? But personally, I'm done with all the candy cookie cakey names.

I want to know what everyone here thinks about the name... F-Bombe?

F for forum obviously haha, and Bombe for the ice cream dessert. So far, it's the best play on words I could come up with 😄

Im throwing this out there for the group now because its been such a nice chill Sunday and I want to hear all the other ideas floating around! ❤🌱

I like it but I think you might want to change it up after growing it and smelling it. Something might pop up in the f1’s and a name will come to you.

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I was thinking about names for this Sherbet cross today. 🤔 I think it's a fun tradition to honor the parents with a clever play on words right? But personally, I'm done with all the candy cookie cakey names.

F for forum obviously haha, and Bombe for the ice cream dessert. So far, it's the best play on words I could come up with 😄

Im throwing this out there for the group now because its been such a nice chill Sunday and I want to hear all the other ideas floating around! ❤🌱
How about... Sherbet Cross Dresser 😁

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Sherbet'c

amekins

amekins

Remind me what you love about the plant you’ve selected, and what you hope to bring with the ”chosen” one lol.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
@amekins It's Cannabis! 🤷‍♂️🌱

But seriously, I really like the sherbet. I was buying flower to smoke from a local guy for a while. The GSC parent was a very trendy strain then, and the sherbet had the same great look but with a stronger citrus skunk terp profile I liked a lot more. When I initially bought the seeds it was for that reason, but now that I am growing it and want to do some crossing It's what I've got!

Its a super easy strain to grow, 8-9 weeks and strong but not a great yeilder. Bud size is good but bud sites need work. They stretched a lot and with more side branching would be monsters. So at first my goal is to select plants that keep as many of the sherbet qualities while creating better yielding plants. Eventually I'm going to cross a bunch of stuff with this male to see what he's got going for him. The gran champagne is next 👍

Also important...I should reiterate that I'm not under the impression this going to be some amazing, magical cross. The sherbet is a BX1 freebie pack, with no breeder attached. Probably some dude like me in Spain idk. That's actually important now that this has become a "public" thing because I don't want to use a respected breeders years of hard work and murder it for all the Farm to see lol. That being said, if it does work out I think we can claim a legitimate success! ❤🌱

Last edited:
IrishRob

IrishRob

@amekins It's Cannabis! 🤷‍♂️🌱

But seriously, I really like the sherbet. I was buying flower to smoke from a local guy for a while. The GSC parent was a very trendy strain then, and the sherbet had the same great look but with a stronger citrus skunk terp profile I liked a lot more. When I initially bought the seeds it was for that reason, but now that I am growing it and want to do some crossing It's what I've got!

Its a super easy strain to grow, 8-9 weeks and strong but not a great yeilder. Bud size is good but bud sites need work. They stretched a lot and with more side branching would be monsters. So at first my goal is to select plants that keep as many of the sherbet qualities while creating better yielding plants. Eventually I'm going to cross a bunch of stuff with this male to see what he's got going for him. The gran champagne is next 👍

Also important...I should reiterate that I'm not under the impression this is some amazing, magical cross. The sherbet is a BX1 freebie pack, with no breeder attached. Probably some dude like me in Spain idk. That's actually important now that this has become a "public" thing because I don't want to use a respected breeders years of hard work and murder it for all the Farm to see lol. That being said, if it does work out I think we can claim a legitimate success! ❤🌱
I think you got this

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
#2...current situation...might be my new fav idk lol

🌱

Screenshot 20201123 200007 Gallery
Screenshot 20201123 200237 Gallery

dire wolf

dire wolf

One thing is a very small amount of pollen Gose a long was a q-tip amount mm asked thousands of seeds and to do breeding of a cross tow strains you don't need six foot plants when you make a cross all your doing is introduce the genes to each other you don't need 10000 seeds of the first run but what you do need to find is 2 stable plants mother and father and it's not just what the look like and if possible try to keep the parents alive for the first run once you see the offsprings then you look for the mother traits and the father traits and keep track of what your doing it's very easy to get lost in the gene pool once you have the offsprings to an age to sex them pull your males I usually do min of 20 when growing the offsprings out don't grow for flower production your growing to breed I try to have 4-6 tops that's it and keep an eye out for females that show mother and females that show fathersand ones that just don't fit in eliminate them they say you need thousands to be a breeder you don't the reason they do it's to find a certain phenotypes and it also is time it takes a grow season for each time you make a cross that's why you don't need to grow 5 footers one fat top pollenated right can produce 500seeds once you have the offsprings ready for flower only put your elite in the flower and what ever pheno that you are trying to achieve on your first flower of the off springwatch to see if witch ones take after the mother and and if the mother is the pheno your looking for you can backcross it with the mother with son and same with father and daughters now soons a little messed up but in the plant world it's not like that in the human world every time you make A cross you look at the pheno that your looking for and yes you can go to far and just because you cross banana kush with strawberry Cough your going have a banana strawberry kush some strains took over 20 years to make once you have the phenotype your looking for now you have to make it stable and to make a stable strain that's when numbers makes a difference what you are try to achieve is what ever pheno you where going for you want to have the offsprings be as close to the mother as you can clone seeds and try to keep the parents alive so that if you hit the million you are able to recreate it how to keep parents alive is a mother plant and a male plant growing up to full flower can produce enough pollen for 20000 females so dry the male pollen and store it there is so many opinions on string pollen I've got pollen stored for over 2 years a and I just use some the other day and still vile one thing to if pollen is very micro grains ever time you use it have a shower and change your close that is how alot of seeds get messed up it is very hard to be very successful at breeding I've been doing it for awhile and I still make mistakes some are irreversible but you have to take extra percussion water kills pollen so it can be your friend or your enemy this is the easiest of breeding it's tAken a male and female and crossing them when you use a female and have her make female pollen you've got rid of the male gene you can breed it back to the same strain and make feminized seeds same thing with the male pollen very little gose along way same thing you don't need 10000 GSC fem seeds and if you interduce it in your pheno hunt it can speed it up looking for it know if your doing this to have a few seeds to grow here and there it's a big investment for a few seeds if you doing it for fun or to see if you could do it just think that you want to start small to get the fell of it and If you have a cross contamination destroy its alot of work for a hobbist you need to know how to spot things in the grow that night not happen on normal grows
I'm far from a Master grow but you have to be able to spot things and you do need to have a plant count that may be higher than you can have ever time I do a cross and grow the offsprings I take a few clone s of each female before flower just in case you might have a win that's my 2cents.
whao...... Whose got the Dramamine

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

The title says it all...

My goal for this thread is to create a forum based, community breeding project that serves as a hands-on educational resource for hobby breeders. This is in no way an attempt to create some hot new strain. But if eventually successful (million to 1 odds) the goal would be our own IBL.

Anyone who has contemplated pollinating their own flowers to create a hybrid and done some reading has come across intimidating statements like this: "you need a 1000 plants to breed correctly!" and "hobby breeders just chuck pollen and hope for the best"...while there's tons of truth to those statements, I think a lot of learning can be accomplished with much fewer plants. Even if its just finding some great moms along the way, it will be an opportunity to go step by step through the process together with some help from all of the experienced breeders here on the farm!

The plan is this:

1. Document and discuss the pollination of the P1 generation which I am about to do.
2. I will distribute the F1 seeds to the farmers.
3. Farmers grow out the first generation.
4. Great discussions happen!
5. Each farmer chooses two plants to cross and makes F2 seeds.

At this point things get way more loose and the real fun kicks in. The intent here is to create structure and organization without "rules" per se. Hopefully we will have participants that cover a wide rage of experience that can take this in many different directions. Some of us may want to collectively select for specific traits while some may want to go their own direction. All will be valuable to the learning experience as a whole.

Since we started from the same two parents, we will all be growing parallel genetic lines who's seeds can be traded between one another and back crossed or cloned etc as we see fit. I will keep the original parents for the entire run. However, it is important for each individual farmer to go at his or her own pace and skill level and obviously every grow will have it's limits.

The way we accomplish the organizational aspect is with a simple catalog system started from the very beginning. Each grower will be assigned a letter. This is followed by the generation, sex and plant number. A cross looks like this:

B0F01 x B0M01

B- Me, the grower
0- Generation, in this case 0 is the parents to the line
F- Sex of the plant. Male would be M
01- Plant number, always two digits.

My F1 cross might then look like this:

B1F05×B1M02

It will be up to each grower to catalog specific plant traits by plant # however they see fit, and due to the nature of the forum pictures and details should be very easy to share. There's power in numbers, but even if only a few of us participate, we should all learn a little more about hobby breeding and just how diverse and beautiful cannabis really is.

That being said, this will not be a seed giveaway. I'm not pretending to have crazy desirable genetics, but there's always people looking to take advantage. I will automatically include any thcfarmer patreon supporters and forum mods. After those criteria there's not a lot of actual metrics to judge by except a given member's activity on thcfarmer right? I think those of us that spend a good amount of time here get to know one another and the members who contribute to the community as a whole. I'm going to use my best judgment and be as inclusive as possible.

If everyone thinks I'm nuts and I wind up the only participant..? Then I'll have a mod move this to the grow diaries forum 🤣🌱
I respect what you're doing

U made my list

@Moshmen

I don't have time

I have one addition I have time for

As u breed

If u cross cbd into whatever

Controls height and duration and munchies

If it's for u

Tailor with this intel

If not

Exploit for...