A Forum Breeding Project (in more than 5 words)

• Thread starter Grownsince95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
looks ripe. I can always tell when the sugar leaf near the seed turns yellow.
Yes that is the case but I'm still plucking some immature seeds. So question is, are there always seeds that don't mature fully? Or will waiting another week give me a better ratio? My calendar said to pull them the 18th.

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

The title says it all...

My goal for this thread is to create a forum based, community breeding project that serves as a hands-on educational resource for hobby breeders. This is in no way an attempt to create some hot new strain. But if eventually successful (million to 1 odds) the goal would be our own IBL.

Anyone who has contemplated pollinating their own flowers to create a hybrid and done some reading has come across intimidating statements like this: "you need a 1000 plants to breed correctly!" and "hobby breeders just chuck pollen and hope for the best"...while there's tons of truth to those statements, I think a lot of learning can be accomplished with much fewer plants. Even if its just finding some great moms along the way, it will be an opportunity to go step by step through the process together with some help from all of the experienced breeders here on the farm!

The plan is this:

1. Document and discuss the pollination of the P1 generation which I am about to do.
2. I will distribute the F1 seeds to the farmers.
3. Farmers grow out the first generation.
4. Great discussions happen!
5. Each farmer chooses two plants to cross and makes F2 seeds.

At this point things get way more loose and the real fun kicks in. The intent here is to create structure and organization without "rules" per se. Hopefully we will have participants that cover a wide rage of experience that can take this in many different directions. Some of us may want to collectively select for specific traits while some may want to go their own direction. All will be valuable to the learning experience as a whole.

Since we started from the same two parents, we will all be growing parallel genetic lines who's seeds can be traded between one another and back crossed or cloned etc as we see fit. I will keep the original parents for the entire run. However, it is important for each individual farmer to go at his or her own pace and skill level and obviously every grow will have it's limits.

The way we accomplish the organizational aspect is with a simple catalog system started from the very beginning. Each grower will be assigned a letter. This is followed by the generation, sex and plant number. A cross looks like this:

B0F01 x B0M01

B- Me, the grower
0- Generation, in this case 0 is the parents to the line
F- Sex of the plant. Male would be M
01- Plant number, always two digits.

My F1 cross might then look like this:

B1F05×B1M02

It will be up to each grower to catalog specific plant traits by plant # however they see fit, and due to the nature of the forum pictures and details should be very easy to share. There's power in numbers, but even if only a few of us participate, we should all learn a little more about hobby breeding and just how diverse and beautiful cannabis really is.

That being said, this will not be a seed giveaway. I'm not pretending to have crazy desirable genetics, but there's always people looking to take advantage. I will automatically include any thcfarmer patreon supporters and forum mods. After those criteria there's not a lot of actual metrics to judge by except a given member's activity on thcfarmer right? I think those of us that spend a good amount of time here get to know one another and the members who contribute to the community as a whole. I'm going to use my best judgment and be as inclusive as possible.

If everyone thinks I'm nuts and I wind up the only participant..? Then I'll have a mod move this to the grow diaries forum 🤣🌱
I would defiantly be in if I wasn't moving out of state in a couple months . It's a good idea .

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Yes that is the case but I'm still plucking some immature seeds. So question is, are there always seeds that don't mature fully? Or will waiting another week give me a better ratio? My calendar said to pull them the 18th.
Hi, good to be back here.
I never pluck any seeds out, i harvest the whole plant, let her dry and only after drying take the seeds out.
I prefer not to mess around with plucking fresh seeds out of the buds.
They will come falling out easily after drying.
And about immature seeds, there will always be some, no worries.
Good luck !

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

Just had that happen with Blue God x Blue Cookies. It was only hit with pollen once, with a brush, and hasn't been exposed to any other pollen hits since. Put an extra 2 weeks on it just in case. They don't get over ripe. If the seed is past done, then the pod just opens and the seed drops to the dirt. One of my friends won't bring down a seeded plant until one of those pods drops on its own lol. But by then when you take the plant and give it a shake, better be prepared, cause they will come out of there so fast and bounce on the floor like bb's. Horrible thing lol!

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

I forget, do you press? Look what I got out of my seed run weed... PB&J lol!!!!

20210118 050846

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
My sherbet that hermied a few months ago dropped ripe seeds when I wasn't looking that sprouted right away, no drying. 🤷‍♂️

Had that happen last year in an outdoor grow of master kush. Same deal. Spit a couple of naners. Next thing I know there was a little seedling coming up. Thought that was pretty cool. Pretty much probably just dried on the vine. Pod opened. Down she dropped. Technically it was probably dried. But I don't do anything with mine but stick them in whatever I'm going to be storing them in and let them sit. Not too much into crazy ass voodoo.

Went back to 7 ph too. All of the sudden my nute deficiencies decided to take a vacation. Switched to coco and my plants all turned lime green with a side of cal/mag deficiency. I'm like oh no we are NOT doing this today ladies. They were already getting strong EJ Seablast + Cal/Mag supplement at full strength. Kind of remembered the old hydro days when we mixed GH by PPM, screw the measuring cup.

Point is, after almost two years of all of this 'new age shit', I've hereby rebel. I get faster results with the old school 24/7, measuring by the PPM instead of the god damned charts, 7ph in coco, and daily foliar sprays of cal mag. A PPM of 880 equates to 6ml of cal/mag + the strong level of Seablast Bloom (1/2 tsp/gal) + Seablast Bloom Master (1/4 tsp/gal). All of the sudden my plants are healthy green again, no cal/mag issues on the new growth, and then they took off like they have a rocket strapped to their asses.

I'm not saying my way or the old school way is better than what everyone else is doing. For whatever reason it works for me best and I'm just going to continue rolling with it. We had coco back then at some point too but I just ignored it because I had been using the rockwool/hydroton thing for so long. I like it. Anything that I can transition between hand watering and auto watering is killer in my book.

Burnzy is running Flora Flex for his watering. I think I'm going to go with the same system. I've already ordered the trays and res's. I'll get the PVC from the local builders supply place. 4 x 8 tent is going in with two 4x4 trays with drains directly into a 30 gal res on a timer. Pretty similar to an old school flood and drain table with the addition of direct feed lines and a manifold. Very simple set up.

Already have the lights. Just need to settle on a carbon filtration system and I'll be good to go. This rebuild has been an experience and I've learned a shit pile. But I need to get back to hydro even if it's in a hybrid format. I'm too old for all of this hand watering and lack of automation lol :))))

chemistry

chemistry

Had that happen last year in an outdoor grow of master kush. Same deal. Spit a couple of naners. Next thing I know there was a little seedling coming up. Thought that was pretty cool. Pretty much probably just dried on the vine. Pod opened. Down she dropped. Technically it was probably dried. But I don't do anything with mine but stick them in whatever I'm going to be storing them in and let them sit. Not too much into crazy ass voodoo.

Went back to 7 ph too. All of the sudden my nute deficiencies decided to take a vacation. Switched to coco and my plants all turned lime green with a side of cal/mag deficiency. I'm like oh no we are NOT doing this today ladies. They were already getting strong EJ Seablast + Cal/Mag supplement at full strength. Kind of remembered the old hydro days when we mixed GH by PPM, screw the measuring cup.

Point is, after almost two years of all of this 'new age shit', I've hereby rebel. I get faster results with the old school 24/7, measuring by the PPM instead of the god damned charts, 7ph in coco, and daily foliar sprays of cal mag. A PPM of 880 equates to 6ml of cal/mag + the strong level of Seablast Bloom (1/2 tsp/gal) + Seablast Bloom Master (1/4 tsp/gal). All of the sudden my plants are healthy green again, no cal/mag issues on the new growth, and then they took off like they have a rocket strapped to their asses.

I'm not saying my way or the old school way is better than what everyone else is doing. For whatever reason it works for me best and I'm just going to continue rolling with it. We had coco back then at some point too but I just ignored it because I had been using the rockwool/hydroton thing for so long. I like it. Anything that I can transition between hand watering and auto watering is killer in my book.

Burnzy is running Flora Flex for his watering. I think I'm going to go with the same system. I've already ordered the trays and res's. I'll get the PVC from the local builders supply place. 4 x 8 tent is going in with two 4x4 trays with drains directly into a 30 gal res on a timer. Pretty similar to an old school flood and drain table with the addition of direct feed lines and a manifold. Very simple set up.

Already have the lights. Just need to settle on a carbon filtration system and I'll be good to go. This rebuild has been an experience and I've learned a shit pile. But I need to get back to hydro even if it's in a hybrid format. I'm too old for all of this hand watering and lack of automation lol :))))

Stuff the charts. 😁

growsince79

growsince79

The pollen you put out stays alive at least 2-3 weeks. I pollinated several sites that only had 4-6 hairs at the time. By time they are done, golf ball size buds with 40 seeds each. If you want to avoid immature seeds, pollinate selected sites only and spray with water 2 days later to kill the leftover.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Howdy ive been busy back on work site now I’ve had that nerve cull , had successfully mission with the cheese dawg x very cherry have seed already under way you got to know what’s what .. very happy with that part of my breeding project , now I’ve been working, GK genetics Ground pounder x GK genetics Ground pounder, and Cali Cannon x Reno’s gg4 x HCP .

C8D4A5BB 423A 4DE3 ABF1 06D132B903B8
B02F8BE5 8DA9 4C12 AAD7 A31FB913D877
46C87FF5 1A26 4DB5 8E4C ABEE8D7CF647
685C68BE 149C 42EE 92EB A6D9E1D9D80D
7D3805BD DD8C 42FD 8F32 F4718D215C03
9711CCB3 2EB5 48F6 95B2 16D33A1791C4
585A0513 BBFF 4F54 A2B2 6CB11D4C680C
7F520FC7 ED6E 4BBC 8FEF 0FDA1B0B3D3A
93CA7F00 ED79 4C8D B52A D9D615BE724F
Top Bottom