A Grateful Greenhouse

• Thread starter Amber
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Amber

Amber

Thought I would post some pics of our greenhouse. We threw some extra equipment we had lying around in there and let her rock. The strains were also some extras we had lying around mostly seeds. They were Flo, Alien Bubba, Raskal OG, Larry OG, Tahoe OG from seed and Master Kush, Bubba Kush, and Afgani clones. Examples of some of the extra equipment is a CO2 burner, some 1k watt medal halides, LED's, and a air conditioner.

A grateful greenhouse
A grateful greenhouse 2
A grateful greenhouse 3
A grateful greenhouse 4
A grateful greenhouse 5
A grateful greenhouse 6
A grateful greenhouse 7
A grateful greenhouse 8
A grateful greenhouse 9
A grateful greenhouse 10
A grateful greenhouse 11
A grateful greenhouse 12
A grateful greenhouse 13
A grateful greenhouse 14
A grateful greenhouse 15
A grateful greenhouse 16
A grateful greenhouse 17
A grateful greenhouse 18
A grateful greenhouse 19
A grateful greenhouse 20
Blaze

Blaze

Very nice work. Don't suppose you could show more pics and info of the greenhouse itself could ya? I would be curious to see more of how you did the climate control, ventilation, etc.

Amber

Amber

Very nice work. Don't suppose you could show more pics and info of the greenhouse itself could ya? I would be curious to see more of how you did the climate control, ventilation, etc.
Well I live up in nor ca right about the snow line under South Lake Tahoe so I have lots of tall pines and struggle to get 6 hours of full sun a day. My greenhouse is on the side of a hill and I never planned for it to be a greenhouse. I originally just built two long raised beds on the hillside. It has evolved now into my greenhouse over the course of like 3 or 4 summers. I actually put up the walls and roof on it around a fully budding garden the first year and yes its just corrugated plastic from home depot. Just cemented in some posts connected them across with a few 2x4's and plastic to that frame. Sounds easy enough but was quite the project since it was not built on level ground either way but with the help of grumpy old man we had a roof by mid September. I don't remember exactly what the dimensions are and its about to snow out there or I would go measure for you but its roughly 15'x20' 15 going down the hill and 20 long (down another slight hill). As for the height it just depends on where your standing. The walls don't go all the way to the ground and its pretty jagged but I tried to make them around six inches off the ground all the way around to allow for a little air flow but sunk some wire fence into the ground and attached it to all the posts all the way around to keep out any critters. Should have used smaller fence holes like chicken wire cause I have a lot of lizards that cruise around in there. I used a couple large fans with louvers one at the top and one on the opposite end that kicked on when it got to be about 70 degrees. Also had 4 inline 8" fans that went along the ridge with a little duct to vent out the hot air. They also kicked on around 70 degrees. Inside i also had 4 reciprocating fans to keep the air moving. It gets really hot in there during the summer I've seen it reach 120 degrees in there so I also put in foggers to keep the temp down but after my buds get so big I turn them off scared of mold and rot. I also have at one point put black white plastic along the walls due to the fact that when the sun hit a certain point in the evening all you could see from the outside was this silhouette of giant buds. A friend gave me a large swamp cooler which I have blowing in at the top on a y with a long piece of 10" duct running along the wall down to the bottom. When I got that is when I put in some lights. I dropped some medal halides vertically down in like 4 spots. I also had an led fixture that I was not using so I hung it in there as well. Due to the extra heat they put off I had them come on for few hours in the morning and few hours in the evening. I try to keep the temp in there below 90 degrees or at least don't add heat with lights when its over 90 degrees. During the peak of summer it does get over 90 degrees in there for multiple days and there's not a lot I can do but keep em hydrated. I get a lot of stretch with the high temps so I end up buds to the roof sometimes.:eek: I'm not sure if I answered your question or not I actually wrote this in response to a message someone else left me with the same sort of question. I don't know if I have any pictures that really show the set up. Here are a some that kinda give you an idea I hope
Greenhouse set up pics   01

The fan in the background here I had 2 of them one near top and one near top of the bottom if that makes sense.
Greenhouse set up pics   02
Greenhouse set up pics   05
Greenhouse set up pics   04
Greenhouse set up pics   03

These are early in the year before cooler and lights and give you an idea of the layout. Also they were in smart pots on top of soil some of the smart pots had holes cut in the bottom so the roots were free to go through. The soil was I thing its called Flower Power (which I dont think is around anymore) with lots of worm castings.
Greenhouse set up pics   06

Ok this one if you look at the top of the pic in the middle you can kinda see where the big fan with louvers is but shortly after this point is when we put in the cooler right in the spot and moved the fan to the opposite side in the roof.
Greenhouse set up pics   07
Greenhouse set up pics   10

These are the inline fans along the ridge you can also see here that we ended up black white plasticing the walls.
Greenhouse set up pics   11

Here is the top corner after the cooler was in we put a y with 10" might even of been 12" duct one short piece to blow into the top and a long piece ran along the wall all the way to bottom.
Greenhouse set up pics   16

Here is a pic of the duct running down the wall and with our new found cool air it was on and crackin, you can also see the metal halide dangling there.
Greenhouse set up pics   08

I have no clue what this pic was supposed to show
Greenhouse set up pics   13

Here is another of the light also you can see the ballasts are just connected to to the post and if you look real close at the top you can see the foggers which definitely are not being used at this point but they did help a lot in the earlier stages.
Greenhouse set up pics   17

This one you can kinda see the burner the green thing on the top right and the white thing on the left is a led fixture.
Greenhouse set up pics   19

Here is a better angle with the LED, Burner, and Ballasts
Greenhouse set up pics   15

Greenhouse set up pics   14

Greenhouse set up pics   20

I hope that helped and to be perfectly honest all of that was done in an attempt to control temperature and give nice bright light. It did get over 120 degrees in the peak of summer for multiple days the MH lights only were added after foggers went off for the season and they only came on for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the evening to try and capture the same six hours of full sun that a nice south facing property with less trees would get naturally.

Greenhouse set up pics   18
Amber

Amber

You know I also have to give a whole bunch of credit to the grumpy old man who put the walls and roof of this greenhouse up over a fully budding garden. He was a hell of a craftsman and one of the hardest workers I have ever known. I learned so much from him. He recently passed. RIP Mark

EVOKE

EVOKE

thats an awesome greenhouse Amber great looking plants too... keep up the great greenthumb... sorry to hear ur friend pass. ill smoke one for mark... peace n grow..

Blaze

Blaze

Really cool greenhouse, thanks for sharing more details on it. I love how it has evolved over the seasons and how you built it to fit your site. I have not seen many terraced greenhouses like this before.

How did using the swamp cooler affect the humidity in there? Also what type of fogger system did you use? I'm looking at building a better greenhouse starting this winter and I know the biggest issues I will have is controlling heat gain in summer.

Amber

Amber

Really cool greenhouse, thanks for sharing more details on it. I love how it has evolved over the seasons and how you built it to fit your site. I have not seen many terraced greenhouses like this before.

How did using the swamp cooler affect the humidity in there? Also what type of fogger system did you use? I'm looking at building a better greenhouse starting this winter and I know the biggest issues I will have is controlling heat gain in summer.
The humidity was ok I think due to the fact that there is so much air moving and exhausting still. There is also the 6 inches on the bottom of the walls that provides air from outside. The efficiency was not great however it did cool it down in there quite a bit. I live in the mountains so by the time the buds got real big the need for the cooler was not there as much so it just naturally works out. As for the foggers I got them from this place online and for pretty cheap actually. This link will probably not work but if you copy and past it you will get there.

I initially got misters from Home Depot but realized that I needed foggers.

woodsy

woodsy

nice bro!!!!!i can only dream of something like this from where i am from.....as soon as i graduate from horticulture school,im heading to colorado!!!!!

Amber

Amber

Thanks, good luck to ya in Colorado. I can definitely see its appeal and I imagine with your degree there may be some work in the industry also. I myself just can't seem to get past the cold or maybe I'm just a Cali girl (you can call me bro if want) at heart. So cal has the best weed but that's because they get it from NOR CAL.

woodsy

woodsy

i flew out to san fran four years ago,went up to medicino...fort bragg went through humbolt and it was the most beautiful place i think ive ever been...the trees were huge and i scored a sack at a coffee house in fort bragg from some little chinise guy i think it was blue cheese...also very good

daliwarpaint

daliwarpaint

Thanks, good luck to ya in Colorado. I can definitely see its appeal and I imagine with your degree there may be some work in the industry also. I myself just can't seem to get past the cold or maybe I'm just a Cali girl (you can call me bro if want) at heart. So cal has the best weed but that's because they get it from NOR CAL.
this is the best quote ive herd today "socal has the best weed but thats because they get it from norcal" this is very true the local collective i go to I only go in there when I know that the homies from norcal just dropped there lol its the best stuff that collective ever gets norcal has it going on with that fire looking legit on the gh action Amber

Top Bottom