A Little Harvest Help Please

• Thread starter WiffyBead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xenon730

xenon730

mine dnt throw nanners wen ripe homie.like i said b4 mayb pull it so u dnt hav a bunch of beans n yur buds but 100% forsure this aint no sign of ripeness.its a sign of sketchy genetics
I never said to pull it. And nobody said it has seeds or nanners. Read the actual thread dude, nothing youre saying happened lol.

fatawa

fatawa

I said he has wks left..the pics of trichs r taken under hps light,u didnt kno thats a no no??saying nanners r signs of ripeness is ridicoulas n misleading bro..period

xenon730

xenon730

I said he has wks left..the pics of trichs r taken under hps light,u didnt kno thats a no no??saying nanners r signs of ripeness is ridicoulas n misleading bro..period
Lol you literally are upset at ideas you made up because you can't understand what was written. I don't know how i can make it any clearer to you that what you are thinking was never written by either of us. I also said it has 2 weeks or so left, twice now. I'm not gonna waste anymore time after this post trying to get you to understand basic reading comprehension but you're making a fool of yourself. And any grower worth his salt with real experience knows that it's common for some cuts to throw nanners upon ripening. It's even in all the starter books now. But it's cool, i can tell you've never read anything and think you learned from growing whatever random seeds you buy with whatever random products you think are hot at the time. You don't understand the fundamentals of the cannabis plants lifecycle or reading comprehension. If you ever want to get better, keep those in mind.

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

wow. That is a lot to come back to. First off, thanks to everyone who posted. I am really glad everyone is saying two weeks as I would really like her to continue. @fatawa, i am growing these under cfl's, 5 x 23w and 1 x 40 w. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a significant patch of amber trichomes in picture 4. @xenon, I get what you were saying about what to watch for and am dreading but interested in seeing a nanner. I was also glad to pull my first male. This is all new to me, so something that is considered bad to an experienced grower is exciting and informative to me. I killed a good chunk of the plants in this Grow and am very glad I didn't drop any cash on seeds only to see them perish. I have taken and successfully rooted a clone and she is looking very strange in her 3 week old sexiness. Took her 3 weeks into flower and she is fuuuunky lookin. Unfortunately I cropped everything below the screen so was unable to get a clone from the other two plants. Here's a shot of the clone.

IMG 2963
xenon730

xenon730

wow. That is a lot to come back to. First off, thanks to everyone who posted. I am really glad everyone is saying two weeks as I would really like her to continue. @fatawa, i am growing these under cfl's, 5 x 23w and 1 x 40 w. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a significant patch of amber trichomes in picture 4. @xenon, I get what you were saying about what to watch for and am dreading but interested in seeing a nanner. I was also glad to pull my first male. This is all new to me, so something that is considered bad to an experienced grower is exciting and informative to me. I killed a good chunk of the plants in this Grow and am very glad I didn't drop any cash on seeds only to see them perish. I have taken and successfully rooted a clone and she is looking very strange in her 3 week old sexiness. Took her 3 weeks into flower and she is fuuuunky lookin. Unfortunately I cropped everything below the screen so was unable to get a clone from the other two plants. Here's a shot of the clone.
She certainly looks weird. Don't worry, you'll see a nanner in your career soon if you stick with it. I'm glad you cloned that. Once that clone is stable in veg, take another 2 off of it if it finishes well over the next couple weeks. When you want to add new strains its best to but seeds from a reputable breeder, clone them, flower them, and keep the best cuts. All obvious really, like most of the other things i said. I'm gonna go ahead and circle some trichs for you to show you a few things.

These 4 show the progression of the latter part of development. Notice the One second from the left is short, straight, and cloudy? Notice how it has the largest top? Notice the pyramid shape of the stalk. That gland is completely full of developed resin. Thc is in those tops and the second from the left is a properly ripe, totally full resin gland trichome. They will continue to shape like that. When your plant looks almost entirely like that, she's ripe. The trichs directly next to the finished one are swelling and maturing very similarly And will look like the other as she finishes.

20170810 203731
Last edited:
WiffyBead

WiffyBead

She certainly looks weird. Don't worry, you'll see a nanner in your career soon if you stick with it. I'm glad you cloned that. Once that clone is stable in veg, take another 2 off of it if it finishes well over the next couple weeks. When you want to add new strains its best to but seeds from a reputable breeder, clone them, flower them, and keep the best cuts. All obvious really, like most of the other things i said. I'm gonna go ahead and circle some trichs for you to show you a few things.

These 4 show the progression of the latter part of development. Notice the One second from the left is short, straight, and cloudy? Notice how it has the largest top? Notice the pyramid shape of the stalk. That gland is completely full of developed resin. Thc is in those tops and the second from the left is a properly ripe, totally full resin gland trichome. They will continue to shape like that. When your plant looks almost entirely like that, she's ripe. The trichs directly next to the finished one are swelling and maturing very similarly And will look like the other as she finishes.
@xenon730. Thank you for the detailed info. It's nice getting a veteran perspective rather than guesstimates. Couldn't see the forest for the trees. It's nice to have something to focus on. As for the mad nanner hunt...the hunt continues.

xenon730

xenon730

@xenon730. Thank you for the detailed info. It's nice getting a veteran perspective rather than guesstimates. Couldn't see the forest for the trees. It's nice to have something to focus on. As for the mad nanner hunt...the hunt continues.
If you can successfully view the same area of both a bud and a leaf, you can learn a lot about a cut by checking the same trichomes daily. Each plant matures their resin and glands(the balls on the top of the trichome) differently. They vary from sequentially to simultaneously. If you wanted to pick each bud at the pinnacle of ripeness, you would have to pick different buds at different times. It is nice to harvest with a small range imo though. While i prefer totally mature buds, the market generally prefers an earlier pick. I think that's because the market is full of prematurely picked buds by novice growers or tight schedules for whatever reason. So if you harvest when your tops are totally mature, the lower end of the canopy and shade buds will be a little bit early. I do both partial and whole harvests regularly and frankly, it only changes the amount of what i consider connoisseur cannabis(fully ripe) and the amount of flower for the masses by however much extra time you give to that particular plant. I make those decisions on the fly. I believe light movers would be great at helping simultaneous ripening but i have very little experience with them. I definitely want to run one in one of my flower rooms to see the difference. Would love to try 75 plants under a 1k hps instead of 50 spaced a little.

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

Lol. I feel overcrowded with just three plants. I'd probably have an embolism trying to care for that many. I think I probably play with my girls too much tho I've been doing an ungodly amount of research on the whole, harvest entire plant/ harvest ripe fruit debate. I'm inclined to harvest whole if they are close enough. I wouldn't mind a slight variance in the smoke. Then again if they are too far apart then it'll have to be individual harvests. I think that has been the most frustrating thing about this new "hobby" I've gotten myself into. There are no real clear cut answers. Lots of possible reasons for this or that and so many Grow styles!! Been super fun so far and I haven't even gotten to harvest yet! Guess this is a case of destination and journey having similar impact. Once again thanks for the help and info

xenon730

xenon730

Lol. I feel overcrowded with just three plants. I'd probably have an embolism trying to care for that many. I think I probably play with my girls too much tho I've been doing an ungodly amount of research on the whole, harvest entire plant/ harvest ripe fruit debate. I'm inclined to harvest whole if they are close enough. I wouldn't mind a slight variance in the smoke. Then again if they are too far apart then it'll have to be individual harvests. I think that has been the most frustrating thing about this new "hobby" I've gotten myself into. There are no real clear cut answers. Lots of possible reasons for this or that and so many Grow styles!! Been super fun so far and I haven't even gotten to harvest yet! Guess this is a case of destination and journey having similar impact. Once again thanks for the help and info
I take about an hour a room a day with my own and plan for double or triple in someone else's. I do 8h a day of that but it's not much physical work. People more ill than i do it every day so that motivates me. And that's because you're harvesting a living thing. Similar to other things like food and drink. The good news is that good genetics harvest well early to late really and if you wait until the calyxes are fully swollen, you'll be fine regardless really. Aside from a very premature harvest, its not likely to ruin the flower and its effects are far more subtle than other problems. It's also not as exciting to most as random products and seeds can be so they don't focus as much on it. Good ways to spot good growers are to see how they do the boring stuff. The day in day out stuff. What products do they use and why? With like 5 questions and small observation you can usually tell who's a farmer and plant cultivator and who's just a weed grower. The difference between the two is enormous.

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

Hello helpful and handsome horticulturists!! I'm posting some update pics. 10 days after original post. These are three tops from the same girl. I believe she is ready to go dark but my growing partner believes we must wait. Hopefully someone out there can help. New grower so who knows maybe I'm getting the noob shakes as I don't want her to get too far along. She is 8 weeks 4 days in flower.

IMG 3397
IMG 3402
IMG 3404
IMG 3409
IMG 3411
IMG 3414
IMG 3425
IMG 3426
IMG 3427
IMG 3431
IMG 3433
IMG 3434
IMG 3435
IMG 3437
xenon730

xenon730

Hell Yeah those look great! You are within range enough that harvesting anytime now will not ruin the bud. You could cut now or wait. You'll notice from your photos you have very few amber and in the dark areas, your trichs are not as mature as the lighted areas, but are close. This is the variance i was talking about. You're basically just dancing between those two. You can let the lighted amber a little more to get more cloudy in the dark or not. Your lighted trichs would be considered ripe by most. I tend to not harvest until the clear heads are at least obviously oval and stretching from resin. In all of the photos the majority met my standard for that. Those photos are great btw. Where the heads are missing are where you touched or leaves touched btw. You could harvest or wait.

Have you noticed yet that your plants stink most in the morning? Exposure to light decreases their fragrance. To maximize this, harvest before lights on or darken your room for at least 12h before chopping. I also trim in low light or green light but that's not for everyone and i only do it for my personal gardens. Some people put their plants in darkness for 24-72h before harvesting. I never do over 24h and only do that if I'm emptying the room and will be cleaning it after(three times a year usually).

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

Once again Xenon ftw! I am extremely appreciative of not only the response but the detail and thought that went into it. Thank you! My fellow grower and I have agreed that Saturday morning shall be harvest day. She is only one of 3 plants so it won't be a big harvest (the others are not anywhere near ready) but it will be my first so there shall be dancing and rejoicing in the streets!!
A week of harvest research and message board trolling should have us as ready as we can be come Saturday. Again, thanks xenon

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Don't know if this is the correct area to ask for help so please let me know. First time grower with 3 plants from bagseed. 3 different strains (as far as I can tell). I am 53 days into flower and one girl in particular is showing signs of readiness (to my noob vision anyway). Lost a few leaves to yellowing, decent trichomes production, I'd say about 50% amber hairs, and some amber trichomes. I'd like to keep her going as I am not super happy with her bud sizes but I don't want hardcore couchlock. Here are some pics of her. Any help identifying when she might be ready would be a massive help. Thank you in advance.

I can see the color of the trics look done but I would def wait until the flower is fully done that plant still has at least 2 weeks to go

xenon730

xenon730

Once again Xenon ftw! I am extremely appreciative of not only the response but the detail and thought that went into it. Thank you! My fellow grower and I have agreed that Saturday morning shall be harvest day. She is only one of 3 plants so it won't be a big harvest (the others are not anywhere near ready) but it will be my first so there shall be dancing and rejoicing in the streets!!
A week of harvest research and message board trolling should have us as ready as we can be come Saturday. Again, thanks xenon
Saturday will be what day? Did you clone this plant? If you grow it out again let it go longer to see the difference between early harvesting and waiting for total ripening. Also this cut is maturing very sequentially. Check out how some calyxs are fully swollen and there's new flowers not so swollen. if you grow it out again grow it until all the calyxs appear fully swollen. But, it will be quality flower at this point, and this would be an early harvest imo. Not bad harvest, but early. Like you wouldn't cut this cut down in less days when regrowing. Did you clone her at all? Will the meds from her help let you let the other 2 go longer? Yes to either and i would early harvest. Im just trying to be clear on what I'm saying. I'm not saying your plant is totally ripe, however it has clearly developed to the point that you're mostly only going to be losing some yield with the earlier harvest. Those other calyxes swell = more weight obviously. You could harvest or wait and this would be the earliest you would harvest pretty much any cut anyways(8 weeks). I care about your success and want to make sure I'm being clear is all. If that were my plant i would log it as 9-10 wks next time for the clone and decide to keep or not based on the smoke. Then i will usually grow a 6 or 8 top plant of it and let it go until i feel it's perfectly ripe, log that day and save the genetics.

Last edited:
xenon730

xenon730

My other concern is how green she is. Were you giving her plain water at all yet? Don't make final decisions quickly with harvesting. What do you and your partner need from this lady? Let's use this week to make sure we're doing everything and we make the best decision right? Give her plain water all this week for sure.

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

Saturday will be 9 weeks 2 days in flower. Unfortunately I didn't have the forethought to take a clone from her. I am hoping that I can reveg her to preserve the genetics. With her in the pantry we will definitely be able to go the long haul on the other two girls. As of tomorrow she will be at 2 weeks of just ph'd water. Very few nutrients throughout the entire Grow. Just for fun here's a pic of the only clone I was able to get from this crop. Took her at 3 weeks into flower and had no idea I'd be creating a monster. I am taking clones from her tonight and she is going into the flower box as soon as the other lady enters her cocoon to become a buderfly!

IMG 3469
xenon730

xenon730

Saturday will be 9 weeks 2 days in flower. Unfortunately I didn't have the forethought to take a clone from her. I am hoping that I can reveg her to preserve the genetics. With her in the pantry we will definitely be able to go the long haul on the other two girls. As of tomorrow she will be at 2 weeks of just ph'd water. Very few nutrients throughout the entire Grow. Just for fun here's a pic of the only clone I was able to get from this crop. Took her at 3 weeks into flower and had no idea I'd be creating a monster. I am taking clones from her tonight and she is going into the flower box as soon as the other lady enters her cocoon to become a buderfly!
Awesome. I promise you cloning is easier than told on the net. I regularly start clones in cups of water in my bathroom with nothing but a cup and water. Things that make it easier if youre new though are plugs and propagation trays and any gel or dip with rooting hormones. Buy rapid rooters and prop tray. Moisten plugs, cut stem at any angle, dip in clonex, shove into plug so that you push the stem into the plug a little bit, this will anchor it and speed up rooting. Wet them whenever they're dry. No domes or anything else. Giving it water through the leaves is illogical when you want it to make roots and understand that the open wound let's it swell up with water anyways. Humidity domes don't make sense.

WiffyBead

WiffyBead

I've taken 3 clones from the first crop in total. Attempted the cuppa water method with light and without. Both failed. The only successful clone I have had was rooting powder directly into soil. I've repeated the process with the six I took last night. Hopefully with the larger number taken I can get an idea if the success rate of this method. I was incredibly impressed that after only two weeks the first clone was already sending thick roots out of the bottom of a quarter gallon pot and a gaggle of gorgeous roots along the side of the pot. I did start another seed of her strain (no idea the strain but I kept the bagseed from each bag I got seperate from one another) and she also had quick strong roots so it's probably genetics more than my amazing green thumb.

Top Bottom