A little help for a newbie.

• Thread starter Terpeneluv
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Hey y'all,

New here and glad to be here.

Can someone tell me what's going on here? Doesn't look right to me, but first, some info:

In Cannacoco and feeding AB plus Calimagic. Feeding lighter than manufacturers instructions. RO water with 700ppms going in and 20% runoff at 850ppms. pH 5.9 in and 5.9 out. See this point, feeding every other day.

Have a crappy light while I wait for an Electric Sky ES300v to show up. RH is about 70% and temp is slightly over 70. Lights are about 15 inches (Miehzi300) with soft fan.

This is kicking my new OCD in full throttle and a little help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
A little help for a newbie
A little help for a newbie 2
A little help for a newbie 3
A little help for a newbie 4

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Looks overfed to me. For a plant that small, it shouldn't be needing fed yet. It doesn't look too bad, but the leaves look sort of puffy to me, although overwatering can also cause somewhat similar issues. How often are you feeding and watering? You seem to be OK on the light, but it looks like it is getting too much of something, although I like my Ph to be a little higher than the high 5's range. You could be seeing the 1st signs of lockout, but overall, things don't look too bad. Get familiar with the optimum Ph ranges and learn which nutrients are most affected by it... there are a few charts in the Infirmary section that are great for diagnosis aids. Good Luck!!

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Thanks for that. I'm at work getting nothing done because I'm in constant research mode.

I've been watering/feeding every other day. I'm in coco and perlite and using fabric pots.

I'm thinking tomorrow or the next day I should cut the nutes way back and water with a good runoff. Hopefully I'll get a bounce back shortly. Stresses me out!

That sound like a good plan? Anybody? I need to get done work done. :)

Enforcer

Enforcer

First I want to say that Jimster’s advice is good, if you were growing in soil. With that being said, as you’re in a soilless medium it needs nutrients at every watering. I grow in coco/perlite, auto fed, drain to waste. My plants are in the same pot setup as yours. I agree with Jimster to bump up the pH a hair to 6.0-6.1. But she needs to be watered daily. This replenishes the medium with fresh, oxygenated nutrient solution. As she grows, the more waterings you can do, the faster she’ll grow. I water 6x a day in full bloom. That’s why the auto drippers. Make sure you always get run off (which you are). This flushes out the old salts and prevents lockout from high ppm in the medium. Once you start daily waterings, you should see improvement in a couple days. BTW, you are going to love the ES300. I considered those before I got my HLG550v2. Both are excellent lights. 👍

Enforcer

Enforcer

Thanks Enforcer. I'll do that when I get home.

Is it safe to assume I should cut back on the nutes for at least the first one tonight?

Honestly, I think your ppm is fine. You can back a little if you like and come back up in a week or so. But I really think just watering/feeding daily will get you back on track.

Last edited:
Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Ok, so I I cut the nutes back and have been feeding everyday. pH is 6 on the money. I was off today, so I I fed with tons of runoff 3 times now. It's beautiful out so I let them both out for a suntan for a few hours. Probably should have made it clearthatwo of the I have going are two different strains. Gorilla Szkilles and Blue Fire OG. The GS is having no problems and she looks great, it's the BFOG.

After some, well a lot, of research, that strain is a PITA and probably not the best thing to try out after close to 30 years without growing. Not only that, but I'm doing it in coco and I work about 13 hours a day. However, I figure these problems are leaning experience and doing it in coco forces me to lean, obsess and research. So I'm looking at the positive.

I got the seeds about six months ago after deciding on GS, but my wife said no. So when I was working on my 25 pepper plants, I threw a couple of seeds in some coco. The BFOG was a freebie. Now I'm all in. Got a tent today (it's perfect. 2x4x6) and the better light will be here Monday. Deciding on f later, etc while I'm in the early stages of growth.

Anyway, sorry about the long, nonsensical post. I guess my question was if anyone had experience with Blue Fire OG.

Back to my beer. Peace!

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Hey all. Thanks for the help. It worked for one, but the other is still being a pain. New light is here and they both seem to love it. I need to set up a camera in that tent to take a look throughout the day at work. Ha.

Question: they both seem to be getting a little snug in the 1 gal fabric pots and I was going to move up. I realize it makes more sense to go to a 3 gallon, but since there are only two, I'm thinking 5 would make a little more sense. The only thing that worries me is the one not so pretty girl, her roots are poking through and I'll have to be really careful. I've done it with peppers without any problem, but this worries me. I'm not sure if I want to put them through that twice though. So, just go to 3 and be done or to 5? I'm in no hurry, so if it's a little slower for a while, I don't mind.

Also, should I let them dry out a bit beforehand? Special feeding? I use fish emulsion and seaweed extract on pepper isn't it seems to work great and I'm wondering if it would be the same for this. Any tips or advice on this would be appreciated.

I read all the forums and this one seems to be the most informative, entertaining and civil. I'm truly grateful for y'all.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I wanted to clear up an earlier error in the description of my methods. I grow in Promix, not soil. I feed mine every 10 to 15 days once they get decent sized, and water daily or every other day on avg...it depends on if it is needed. Feeding daily is one style of growing, while my style is at the other end of the feeding controversy. Fwiw, I DO mix about 10-15% of composted manure to provide a supply of micronutrients, along with a little wood ashes. Maybe this is why I have the results that I get, although my style of growing is more of an outdoors style, but indoors. I like to get about 7 ft tall and with a lot if side lighting if the strain supports it.
There are a bunch of ways to grow. And each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. If you are a newer grower, I would suggest using a half dose or less of nutrients until you learn your plant's response to it. It's easy to overfeed and overwater without realizing it, especially when the plants are small. Keep up the research and see what works best with the medium that you choose to grow in. Drainage and light are both very important. Be careful with too many nutes, once they get out of whack, it is difficult to diagnose and recover, IMHO.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Thanks Jimster. I appreciate that.

I leaned last week about the nutes. I can read about it forever, but when am error happens, you never forget. I actually have moved to half of what it says on the feeding chart and sitting improvement. I think I read on here a couple times to let the plants tell you what they need, not a chart. I fully, 100% agree and it's working. Next week I'll tick it up a notch and see what happens.

7ft?!? Damn! Haha. That's awesome

Thanks, brother.

PS- The fat man rocks.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I think overfed too. That ppm is ok if you have big plants and adequate lighting. But less light means plants need less food due to the reduced growth rate.
Even under 1000w HID the most Iever fed in coco was 1.2ec/600ppm. But young plants got less, more like 300-500ppm.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Yeah, I'm around 400 now and just got my new light a could days ago. That amount I started with and a cheap light was way, way too much.

Love the new light. It's nice to look at my plants without feeling like I'm in a purple rave and having my eyes all screwed up when I look away. Plus I can see most of the true colors.

So no feedback on the transplant? I was thinking I should cut the nutes down even further for that first watering or two. Am I correct?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Like anything, there are differences of opinions about feeding after transplant. I prefer to not feed for a week as a general rule, but some say to feed right away. In my experience, roots don't like change and feeding after transplanting is too much stress, unless it is like a 1 tenth dose, if even that. A good watering seems like the least stressful path, with feeding on a few days after the roots are established. There is also a theory about low nutes encouraging roots to search for nutrition, but that might be urban canni-legend.

W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

The plats are overwatered and not overfeed. Yes the coco is almost hodroponic medium bit it's not hodroponic. As you said that you are newbie... Y didn't you start in old school soil? Anyway the principle is the same. If this is you first or one of the first grows look at you plat like is you mother in law. Water and feed her just enough to survive. When you see it to start to fade just a little then you water and feed her. Because it's better to underfeed and underwater than the other way around.
I wish you all the best!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

First I want to say that Jimster’s advice is good, if you were growing in soil. With that being said, as you’re in a soilless medium it needs nutrients at every watering. I grow in coco/perlite, auto fed, drain to waste. My plants are in the same pot setup as yours. I agree with Jimster to bump up the pH a hair to 6.0-6.1. But she needs to be watered daily. This replenishes the medium with fresh, oxygenated nutrient solution. As she grows, the more waterings you can do, the faster she’ll grow. I water 6x a day in full bloom. That’s why the auto drippers. Make sure you always get run off (which you are). This flushes out the old salts and prevents lockout from high ppm in the medium. Once you start daily waterings, you should see improvement in a couple days. BTW, you are going to love the ES300. I considered those before I got my HLG550v2. Both are excellent lights. 👍
^ I might also lower the feed. But is possible that it was the concentration building up due to under watering can't say for sure.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The plats are overwatered and not overfeed. Yes the coco is almost hodroponic medium bit it's not hodroponic. As you said that you are newbie... Y didn't you start in old school soil? Anyway the principle is the same. If this is you first or one of the first grows look at you plat like is you mother in law. Water and feed her just enough to survive. When you see it to start to fade just a little then you water and feed her. Because it's better to underfeed and underwater than the other way around.
I wish you all the best!!

I dont know... I used to water twice daily when I grew in coco with excellent results. A friend still uses coco and feeds 3x daily, also with excellent results. You're right that it's not a true hydroponic medium as it has an exchange capacity unlike rockwool, but it is next to impossible to overwater it in my experience.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Looks ok, sometimes your new leaves are puffy, as long as your not feeding yet (much to early) and your ph is good I would run it, droopy leaves can mean overwatering, remember you want your leaves reaching for the light.

Thanks. They usually are but I suspect there not in that pic because it was lights on for about 10 seconds. I wait patiently for them to turn on so I can have a look right away.

I'm getting the "less is more" theory for sure and it makes perfect sense.

Yes, I could have started with soil, but my experience really in the summer lead me to coco. I have about 25 pepper plants that were in some seriously hot soil, so I repotted every single one of them in coco, perlite, work castings and quality compost. It more than saved those plants. They are thriving and are healthier and fruiting like I've never seen. Amazing, really. So, I thought I'd give it a go in coco/perlite with the girls. It's kind of a pain and a lot more work, but my thinking was I would be forced to research and learn. Thanks in part to you folks, I am.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Crap!!!

Yesterday, I transplanted the other one following the exact same process as the one I did Thursday. She look awesome when I left for work. I get home, unzip the tent and she was all droopy, sad and looking like total hell. I think this could be for a couple reasons.

1. Now I know I shouldn't do this, but it was fine with the other one. I topped a couple places. Maybe that helped create the problem.
2. I didn't dim the light.
3. Both 1 and 2.

pH was spot-on. Temp was 76 with an Rh of 62.

I dimmed the light to about 40% and turned up the fan ( not directly pointed at her. I was going to water again, but that doesn't seem to make any sense. I would have taken a pic, but it's just too depressing and it was a quick stop at home as I had to be somewhere. So, she's sitting there and hopefully she'll be ok.

Do I quick take some cuttings so I can continue with that strain? The strain I was so excited about. I have another light to get those going while the Blue Fire OG finishes. I'm going to guess y'all are going to say wait, but wondering if that's a good option if it looks worse tomorrow.

Damn, it was going so well after the first hiccup.

I'm thinking it's shock from the transplant and the topping. Stupid! Am I freaking out and she will bounce back?

Enforcer, I need ya. Your advice worked the last time so maybe it will again. Hell, anybody.

Peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom