A visit to an MMC

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

I visited a local MMJ dispensary near Col Springs.

$15 grams and $50 1/8's. They had some big names, (AK 47, WW, Godbud, the Skunks, Purps etc).

$20 clones which were 5 inches tall (no popular strains)

They sold Centennial Seeds with a huge mark-up in comparison to the Boulder CS prices.

They told me "members" get a 10% discount. They were nice and friendly but I left and did not buy anything. I won't go back either.

M

Mr Dank

but how well were they grown?

I would take well grown Skunk #1 over poorly grown ____________(fill in blank) anyday :)

C

canaguy27

I too went to a no name dispensary that had overpriced meds, and I too scoffed at their small discount. I will never be back to said dispensary.

why did you post this?

M

Mr Dank

so do the majority of people prefer lower priced "Wal-Mart" dispensaries over quality?

seems so much is based on price these days

K

kolah

I too went to a no name dispensary that had overpriced meds, and I too scoffed at their small discount. I will never be back to said dispensary.

why did you post this?

I did it as a kind of cheesie "review." Being a bit new to the MMJ game I find it a bit challenging to read, hear and see all the pros and cons of MMC's, independant growers, etc, etc,etc. There's definitely a turf war going on and it ain't pretty. The difficult thing for me is trying to sift through all the flying shit and find out the truth. So I visit shops, see what they have and enjoy talking to the people. (owner, workers, growers etc.) The few shops I visited seemed too busy to address my concerns. I am not looking for a one hour discussion with these folks as I know they are busy but I do expect some clear and concise answers to my legit questions. (grow medium, freshness, cleanliness, etc)

I am still fairly new to it all but what I have seen is that manyt MMC's seem to be like auto dealerships They may have a lot of models but their mark-up it quite over-the-top. And quality? I have no idea how long the weed has been sitting in the jars as not one place could tell me when it was harvested. (how long has it beed sitting that clear jar in the sun?) I also dislike the "member discount" sales pitching. So, I sign up with Company X and they get to grow more weed? I do not think thats a fair exchange IMHO. I'd rather see prices straight across the board. Then again I never liked "gimmicks" to sell a product. Many do though.

K

kolah

so do the majority of people prefer lower priced "Wal-Mart" dispensaries over quality?

I am not sure where that entire "quality" thing falls into place. I'd like to believe that an MMC can grow some primo weed just as well as the backyard farmer. I have bought some great weed from a backyarder but it was way overpriced. I bought some shitweed from another backyarder at a high price. I bought some very good weed from a MMC which was priced at $32 per 1/4And this last MMC store I walked out after hearing their prices and seeing how they didn't have time to answer my few questions.

If I were rich then price would not be a factor. I am the average Joe Consumer looking for the best product at the best price. This is always difficult to do but with some time and effort invested it can be found. I only buy buds. I do not want anything else. Will I have to pay more? Yes. But I won't pay over the top either. Why? It's pretty simple..because my budget won't allow it.

With all the turfs wars going on prices for weed are all over the board. For an old fart like me it's hard to find a place (or person) I can trust, get good weed and get it at a price I can afford. In some cases I see prices way too low and it makes me wonder what kind of quality is there. I'd bet there is some kickass good stuff being grown that gets a big pricetag as well. I guess my rookie expectations fall somewhere in the middle. I'd like some above average weed with some average pricing. Once I start growing my own, things mightl be a bit easier but I still want to use other growers so I can sample the different strains.

This is not a thread to bash MMC's. It's just my "consumer" opinion..for whatever that is worth.

K

kolah

another tidbit. I found a nice backyard grower who sold me some great Blueberry, fresh and just dried and potent for $35 per 1/8. (it was nice tight buds and neatly trimmed). I contacted him later and asked what he had fresh. He said he had some B. Banner 3. I went to get it and he charged me $50 for an eighth and it was very small buds with lots of stems still attached. It was so-so weed. So at first this guy sells me some primo weed and then he sells me some poorly trimmed weed with stalks hanging off the buds. I won't do that again. From now on I'll take a real good look at what I am buying and if I dont' like it I'll call him out on it. Honestly. I think he knew I was a newb and took advantage of me. ..and maybe I am just paranoid. Either way, I won't call him again. I guess I am a picky mofo.

I ran my own alternative heathcare business for 20+years. I quickly learned there are some customers that you can never make happy. I am not one of those. I am just an educated consumer, I guess.

Dorje

Dorje

YES, and you seem surprised for some reason...

It's like a bunch of craft brewers wondering how and why Coors and Budweiser sell so much beer... It's because people are cheap and don't necessarily appreciate fine beer (or weed) to the same extent we do. There is always going to be a market for average, inexpensive crap, that's what most people buy.

I moved here in '92, back then Liquor Mart had a tiny craft brew section, it was all in bombers and all very expensive. Now, 80% of their inventory would be considered "craft" quality. I think it's the same with weed, most people are used to shwag or beasters. It'll take time for people to appreciate top quality weed... and as time goes on it will be more and more available and commonplace.

K

kolah

A lot depends on the quantity sold. If a product sells in volumes, the prices can be dropped and the profit is made up in the volume of sales.

Another factor is who are you selling to? Who are your customers? Are you selling to the elite crowd of broadmoor people, medical doctors and lawyers or are you selling to blue collar workers or are the majority of your sales to younger crowds who get their salary from flipping burgers. I'd say for most it's probally a mixed bag but this all comes into play when one is setting their prices.

I can understand how ALL growers want to get top dollar for thier goods but it will never be that way. As a business owner/operator one has many choices to make in regards to pricing, products, and who they will cater to (rich, poor, middle class). They also have to deal with competition and that will effect their prices... if they even choose to "compete."

I am a pipe smoker who enjoys top quality pipe tobacco from all over the world. I refuse to smoke shit blended tobacco like Carter Hall or sweet aromatics like Captain Black. (common drgstore crap) REAL pipe tobacco is quite similar to good Cuban cigars as some of the finest tobacco is made for pipes and cigars. I spend about 12 dollars for 50 grams of top notch pipe tobacco. I spend 200-300 dollars for a pipe. Thats my confort zone.

They are pipecarvers out there who sell their pipes for 1500-2000 dollars. I will never buy a pipe for that amount but there is a niche' for that market but a small one.
Pipe tobacco ages like fine wine. If sealed properly, overtime, tobacco ferments and produces sugar crystals which wonderfully enrichens the tobacco. It is not uncommon for someone to sell a vintage tobacco (that is still sealed in the tin and has aged 3-15 years) for 200-300 dollars. Just recently a 50 gram tin of pipe tobacco sold on ebay for 600 dollars.

I do not think the majority of people want the cheapest shittiest weed. Hell, I enjoy cavier very much (had it 3 times) but I will never EVER buy it. I think most of us have a programmed "spend level" and we do the best to find something we can afford and still enjoy. It doesn't mean people are ignorant to whats out there, most know whats good and bad and spend what they can afford. Economics 101, man.

I find this a bit funny as there was always ongoing argumentive discussions about the same thing in regards to pipe tobaccos on a Pipe Smoking Forum. The upper classers always had to justify (and brag) about their expensive pipes and tobaccos while they scoffed at the old poor guy puffing his corncob pipe and smoking cheap drugstore tobacco. The poor old guy would retaliate with "you're wasting your money on that shit!." Then there were the guys somewhere in the middle (like me) who found it odd that everyone had to argue about what kind of pipe they smoke, how they smoke it, what brand of tobacco ,etc etc. It never fuckin ended and noone became the wiser.

Some of us pipe smokers came up with a saying:
"Smoke what ya like and like what ya smoke."

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm editing out my 2 cents, not worth conveying them.......

GhostFace

GhostFace

i still cant get over that people still go to and buy from dispensaries..and then they bitch about prices lol
you dont like what you buy or what you pay_ grow your own and be done with these hacks all together!

D

disposition84

I know you probably weren't fishing for suggestions but if you're in the springs area check out a place called Provenance Care off of Academy and Dublin. They have a great
selection of buds and can answer any questions you have about their grow method. Their prices are fair, last time I picked up an oz it was at 265 and it was some top shelf Sour Cream and Blue Dreams.

They also have their own breeding they're doing with a lot of great genetics that they've grown out from seed orders from attitude. They're super friendly guys with a
professional atmosphere and great attitudes to match. I have been to about 7 places in the springs and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for a second.

sky high

sky high

$35 isn't bad...but $50 is straight up street pricing.

$250 is the norm in my area. $300 if you have to go through someone else.

give it time...things will fall into place for you.

best of luck

s h

O

otto

who wants to pay them prices dispensaries have to much overhead have to make their money some how you know the saying buy low (crap) sell high

S

SoCoMMJ

who wants to pay them prices dispensaries have to much overhead have to make their money some how you know the saying buy low (crap) sell high

You think dispensaries are priced high, there are caregivers on here bragging about wholesaling for $4,000/lb. They must have a lot of overhead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom