?about clones

• Thread starter stormannorm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

stormannorm

Hi fellow farmers...ive just taken my first set of clones and my question is.
1.Do they need 24h light?
2.Is my heated propigater/humidity dome and tray any good or is the normal ones just as good?
3.When they root and are transplanted do u give them 1/4 strength bloom nutes and a rapid root exelerator

P.S they are in jiffy peat plugs and i used clonex root gel

thank you.and peace out

stormannorm

TortureKill

TortureKill

Yes they need to root under 24 hrs of light, Flouros are fine. Yes a tray and dome will do wonders for your root time. It traps humitidy in, and keeps the cuttings from drying out for the 5-10 days they will be rooting. Keep the medium warm, but not hot. Too high of heat and they will cook under the dome. So watch your temps. Dont let that soil dry out, until you see the first roots poking through the peat, rockwool or whatever your into. Then let them dry out. This will harden them off, and force the roots to go looking for water, and result in explosive and expansive root growth. The first watering after this drying/hardening, feed them a very mild fert. whatever your into. I would recommend a mild compost tea, fish emulsion, or sea weed. Something Organic :)

Good luck, if your using a heating/propagation mat put a towel or something similar between the tray and heating pad.

C

CT Guy

They don't want a lot of light, or even indirect light is fine. Most important thing is temp. Keep temps around 80 degrees consistently and moist, but on the drier side it wants to stretch for water and you'll be fine. Just be patient, when they start rooting, they'll really take off.

Might want to consider putting the peat pellets in calcined DE or pumice or perlite. This will help with moisture regulation. I can be more descriptive on this if you are interested.

S

stormannorm

They don't want a lot of light, or even indirect light is fine. Most important thing is temp. Keep temps around 80 degrees consistently and moist, but on the drier side it wants to stretch for water and you'll be fine. Just be patient, when they start rooting, they'll really take off.

Might want to consider putting the peat pellets in calcined DE or pumice or perlite. This will help with moisture regulation. I can be more descriptive on this if you are interested.

Thanks ctguy any help i can get with clones atm is great plz feel free to be more descriptive im very interested...

Peace out....stormannorm

P.S thanks to torture kill too

T

the_german

hi

taking clones is easy when you are dialed in with it.
1. i dont like the peat pellets,next time use rockwool instead. this is a great rooting medium.
2. humidity dome is a must. i put a layer of hydroton on the ground so the rockwool will not sit in water. leave the dome closed for 3 days (need to airaeted 3 -4 times a day) spraying with water is not really needed, the moist rockwool and the bit of water on the ground between the hydroton will evaporate enough to keep humidity high.
but i dont like the heating mats, just create your cloning area where temps are constant warm.
3. like CT Guy said, they dont need much light. a t8 flourescent will give enogh light for more than 40 rooting clones
but i never used the 24h regimen, i root under 18h/6 with good results, approx. 8-10days roots are visible (but the temp. stability under 24h sounds good to me, i will try that next time)

i dont know in which medium you want to transplant your clones, in hydro i like to start at 250ppm and go up the next 7 days to 400 ( with veg. fertilizer)
same for soil-/soilless mixes just start slow.
I can agree with TortureKill in Seaweed and Fishemulsion, this is Killer clone starter stuff, just love the seaweed!
But the the compost will take some time be available for the plants.
the SW and Fish is enough as a starter in organic mediums.

grow on!
the_german

C

CT Guy

Thanks ctguy any help i can get with clones atm is great plz feel free to be more descriptive im very interested...

Peace out....stormannorm

P.S thanks to torture kill too

Sorry, forgot about this thread. Here's a quick version of the easiest way to clone that I've found (I've tried many many different methods!)

1. Take proper and healthy clones.
2. Use a rooting solution (Olivia's is the only one I know of that's 100% organic). You can make your own, but that's a bit more work for a beginner.
3. I like the Oasis Cubes, but the peat work fine as well and are easier to source. I haven't tried rockwool but I'm sure it would be fine too.
4. I've gotten rooting with and without a humidity dome. I personally like to use them due to the low humidity in my area. I've found temperature plays a much more important role.
5. Calcined DE from Napa. They use it to clean up oil spills. It holds moisture really really well. You can also use it in your soil mix in place of perlite.
6. 2 black trays, one with holes in it to allow water to drain through.
7. Fill the top tray with holes in it with the calcined DE a couple of inches up. Then take your cuttings into the peat and dig it down a little bit into the DE (maybe and inch or so).
8. Water every few days as they dry out (don't over water!, you want the roots to search out water). I know people that have gone a over a week without watering using this method.
9. Be patient. In 10-14 days you should start to see roots. Once the roots have started developing, they take off really fast. Let them go for a 3-5 days more and you'll have a healthy clone ready for transplant (this is the time to apply mycorrhizal fungi.
10. Oh, forgot to mention that you can water with a light seaweed solution (seaweed helps with rooting). I use a light mix of seaweed and Protekt.

Hope that helps! Keep in mind there are many many ways to clone. I even built a water cloner that works well, but sometimes simpler is better. Figure out what works for you and stick with it. :)

S

stormannorm

Hi there german, thanks for the info it is very helpful.ive only taken 1 set of clones before this so every little helps.nice tip about not misting i fight the urge every day wanting to mist pr eayer. Or fiddle with them.
Peace out..[ QUOTE=the_german;681581]hi

taking clones is easy when you are dialed in with it.
1. i dont like the peat pellets,next time use rockwool instead. this is a great rooting medium.
2. humidity dome is a must. i put a layer of hydroton on the ground so the rockwool will not sit in water. leave the dome closed for 3 days (need to airaeted 3 -4 times a day) spraying with water is not really needed, the moist rockwool and the bit of water on the ground between the hydroton will evaporate enough to keep humidity high.
but i dont like the heating mats, just create your cloning area where temps are constant warm.
3. like CT Guy said, they dont need much light. a t8 flourescent will give enogh light for more than 40 rooting clones
but i never used the 24h regimen, i root under 18h/6 with good results, approx. 8-10days roots are visible (but the temp. stability under 24h sounds good to me, i will try that next time)

i dont know in which medium you want to transplant your clones, in hydro i like to start at 250ppm and go up the next 7 days to 400 ( with veg. fertilizer)
same for soil-/soilless mixes just start slow.
I can agree with TortureKill in Seaweed and Fishemulsion, this is Killer clone starter stuff, just love the seaweed!
But the the compost will take some time be available for the plants.
the SW and Fish is enough as a starter in organic mediums.

grow on!
the_german[/QUOTE]

T

TreFarmer

I have tryed several methods, peat pellets, perlite, willow tea, hormone water, syraiggt water, straight soil, and rockwool. Until now I had better luck with peat then anything. And I grow soil so it's convenient.
I had a a friend ask me to get some clones going but he uses rockwool. So he showed me his trick... my way would root Bubba Kush in 10-14 days with moderate rooting. I used peat pellets, rootone, and a dome, T5. Roughly The same methods as above.
For rockwool, Clonex, ph H2O to 5.8-6.0, same watering as usual. Bubba rooted 1st in 4-5 days and "blew roots out the sides"!
Transitioning back to soil is a bit stressful that is my only drawback. They seen to halt for while, I'm gonna be diligent about ph in soil to match rockwool next time. This should help.
Anybody with experience transitioning?

C

CT Guy

I have tryed several methods, peat pellets, perlite, willow tea, hormone water, syraiggt water, straight soil, and rockwool. Until now I had better luck with peat then anything. And I grow soil so it's convenient.
I had a a friend ask me to get some clones going but he uses rockwool. So he showed me his trick... my way would root Bubba Kush in 10-14 days with moderate rooting. I used peat pellets, rootone, and a dome, T5. Roughly The same methods as above.
For rockwool, Clonex, ph H2O to 5.8-6.0, same watering as usual. Bubba rooted 1st in 4-5 days and "blew roots out the sides"!
Transitioning back to soil is a bit stressful that is my only drawback. They seen to halt for while, I'm gonna be diligent about ph in soil to match rockwool next time. This should help.
Anybody with experience transitioning?

Keep in mind that clonex is not organic. I'm not trying to start an ethical argument on the merits of using or not using it, just want people to be aware.

T

TreFarmer

Keep in mind that clonex is not organic. I'm not trying to start an ethical argument on the merits of using or not using it, just want people to be aware.

Thank you sir!! Any recommenations for organic alternative?

C

CT Guy

Thank you sir!! Any recommenations for organic alternative?

Well I wouldn't be too concerned due to the fact that it's such a small amount of synthetics and it's at such an early stage in plant life. I talked to the chemist at Dip N Gro about it actually. However, it does say on these products to use them only for ornamentals (not edibles).

Organic options would be a willow tea, seaweed/Protekt, Olivia's (organic but I didn't have too much success with it personally).

BiGGinZ

BiGGinZ

I like the oasis cubes for hydro, rapid rooters for soil. You don't NEED 24/0 I know alot of people that like it though. I use 18/6 with great results. A warming mat or keeping them up in a closet or room, under some t8's or t5's is what I like to do. I use the dome top for 2-4 days then its off.

Top Bottom