About to chop chop, few quick questions.

• Thread starter Konto
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Konto

Konto

So I'm about to harvest tomorrow and have one issue, my flower room is my drying room. I have two strains in there and the other wont be ready for at least a week. My questions are, why do you want your buds in a dark place ? Can i just hang my buds in a big box and throw them in the flower room as well? Or should I throw them into brown paper bags, close off the top and throw em underneath the rez area (pretty dark down there even with lights on. Thanks.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

The light degrades THC. A box works but you still need some air flow. How many plants? Maybe you could hang em in the corner cover them with something to block most the light and then uncover for the night cycle.

montanamike1

montanamike1

So I'm about to harvest tomorrow and have one issue, my flower room is my drying room. I have two strains in there and the other wont be ready for at least a week. My questions are, why do you want your buds in a dark place ? Can i just hang my buds in a big box and throw them in the flower room as well? Or should I throw them into brown paper bags, close off the top and throw em underneath the rez area (pretty dark down there even with lights on. Thanks.

Drying and cannabis in the dark stops the plant's primary photosynthetic process and switches to it's light-independent or "Calvin Cycle" photosynthetic reactions, which convert stored energy into usable plant Glucose. There's a lot of great information about photosynthetic processes, but the gist of it is that the plant stops using outside sources of energy and switches to consuming stored energy in the leaves and shoots, which helps to get rid of the "green" flavor of the energy produced by chlorophyll so the other smells/flavors can come through. The impacts of this dark period on drying/curing cannabis are not yet scientifically studied, but anecdotal evidence suggests that harvesting and drying entire branches in the dark before "sweating" in jars will help to bring out the best in your herbs.

The processes which convert cannabinoids like THCA and CBDA into their active components THC and CBD are light-independent reactions between amino acids and other molecules in the trichome head, therefore your THC will continue to degrade whether light is shown on it or not. Anecdotal evidence abounds where growers report rapid "ambering" of trichome heads when finishing out their crop with a few days of complete darkness, suggesting that the presence of oxygen, not light, as the primary catalyst for the conversion of THC into its degraded form CBN.

Perhaps hang a few branches in your dark, well ventilated closet/bathroom for a few days? Don't skimp on the dry/cure process or you will regret it!

Hope this helps, happy harvest!

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Don't skimp on the dry/cure process or you will regret it!

I second this, with a passion. Also, no offense at all Montanamike1, but you might want to dumb down your posts a bit, unless that was a copy/paste. Most people would not read through all of that, like I just did lmfao. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

montanamike1

montanamike1

I second this, with a passion. Also, no offense at all Montanamike1, but you might want to dumb down your posts a bit, unless that was a copy/paste. Most people would not read through all of that, like I just did lmfao. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Lol yeah wish there was a spot on the farm to discuss some advanced botany topics with the other educated peeps on here... Spot-on there nugzz, normally I try to keep it stoner-friendly!

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Lol yeah wish there was a spot on the farm to discuss some advanced botany topics with the other educated peeps on here... Spot-on there nugzz, normally I try to keep it stoner-friendly!

It is all good bro. It is ALL all good. No advanced botany here, though I do try to consider myself pretty EDUmacated or whathaveyou lmfao. More so, I can read and I know plants lol. I do live vicariously through a younger cat that is in graduate school for horticulture though. He has no interest/doesn't even know my passion in my life though. (I do not throw my views in anyone's face.) He just knows that I know my shit. At a different time or place in my life, I would have loved to, but my pockets always stay pretty empty and Uncle Sandman or whatever is already too much of a dick to borrow his money lmfao. Respect on that for real though. It takes time, money, and most importantly fucking DEDICATION baby. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

squiggly

squiggly

My questions are, why do you want your buds in a dark place ?

The active chemicals in cannabis are light sensitive. Which is to say they degrade in light.

Can i just hang my buds in a big box and throw them in the flower room as well?

Yes. this is exactly what I do in your situation. Be sure to monitor humidity and temp in the box.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Yes, hang them in a box, I've done it before without any issues. I had a cardboard box and I cut little holes on the side about 1 inch from the top. I ran string through the holes, then hung my branches on the strings using clothes pins.

Another thing you could do, which I will do with my upcoming harvest, since I'm in the same situation as you, is to buy one of those hanging net dryers. When the light is on I will cover it with something (not sure yet, but something light proof) then take the curtain down when the lights are off. I believe this would work better then using a box because you will be able to dry more within the same space and it will have great air flow when the curtain is down and the lights are off, also, it will work great once you do have extra space to dry.

Konto

Konto

Yes, hang them in a box, I've done it before without any issues. I had a cardboard box and I cut little holes on the side about 1 inch from the top. I ran string through the holes, then hung my branches on the strings using clothes pins.

Another thing you could do, which I will do with my upcoming harvest, since I'm in the same situation as you, is to buy one of those hanging net dryers. When the light is on I will cover it with something (not sure yet, but something light proof) then take the curtain down when the lights are off. I believe this would work better then using a box because you will be able to dry more within the same space and it will have great air flow when the curtain is down and the lights are off, also, it will work great once you do have extra space to dry.

You should get some panda film around the net dryer, thats what i did.

Top Bottom