About to get into growing, could use some advice

• Thread starter Tofta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tofta

Hey guys, my state just made it legal for me to grow and was looking for some advice. Primarily looking at this kit to start and plan on getting it this coming Friday https://myhigrow.com/product/myhigrow-4x8-grow-tent-complete-kit-with-roof-grow-tent-4x8-960-watt/

Is this adequate for 12 plants?

Plan on going with autos and have made good use of royal queen seeds holiday sale and have a good mixture of Northern lights, North thunderfuck, blue cheese, fat banana, white widow, watermelon, and triple g on the way.
Lastly has anyone used Coast of Maine soil? Looks like a pretty solid set up and should only need nutrients during the flowering process? Thanks in advance

H

hilbert

12 plants in a 4x8 will be doable but it will be tight. Here is one of my tents with 6 plants. This is a 4x4 so half the size of yours. I have never heard of the lights or tent you are buying there so have no suggestions on quality. I use HLG lights and AC Infinity tents/exhaust.

410841019 10230311534043440 6213627697041824272 n
PXL 20231213 000722554
Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Hey guys, my state just made it legal for me to grow and was looking for some advice. Primarily looking at this kit to start and plan on getting it this coming Friday https://myhigrow.com/product/myhigrow-4x8-grow-tent-complete-kit-with-roof-grow-tent-4x8-960-watt/

It looks like you get a single light that is suggested for a 5x5 coverage that uses 480 watts. (https://myhigrow.com/product/led-grow-light-480w-m5000/ ). To use the full tent in flower you'll want to add a second light probably. It's a dimmable light which is good and for seedlings you'll want to set low power.

The best way to learn is by growing. You are growing autos so you don't have to think about coordinating light for them. Plant a few seeds now and if things are going well in a few weeks plant some more.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter

Plan on going with autos and have made good use of royal queen seeds holiday sale and have a good mixture of Northern lights, North thunderfuck, blue cheese, fat banana, white widow, watermelon, and triple g on the way.
Lastly has anyone used Coast of Maine soil? Looks like a pretty solid set up and should only need nutrients during the flowering process? Thanks in advance
Dry amendments, real growers recharge , rice hulls and pro mix or fox farm for some decent soil. I don't recommend autos at all. Stay on here and people will help you ✌

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
It looks like you get a single light that is suggested for a 5x5 coverage that uses 480 watts. (https://myhigrow.com/product/led-grow-light-480w-m5000/ ). To use the full tent in flower you'll want to add a second light probably. It's a dimmable light which is good and for seedlings you'll want to set low power.

The best way to learn is by growing. You are growing autos so you don't have to think about coordinating light for them. Plant a few seeds now and if things are going well in a few weeks plant some more.
Autos are so bad for beginners imo

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter

4x8’s have a pretty fair amount of room but I’d max mine at 8 plants, but I like my plants to get fairly large usually, could easily do 12 plants with less veg time though.

Not sure on those lights I see they show model M5000 but can’t find that model of light to look up it’s real specs, kits are nice but you can get better quality parting it out yourself, may cost a bit more but you normally get much better equipment (that’ll last longer and be higher quality)

I would suggest keeping at least one photo plant to compare growing to the autos, I would go with photos to start, much more forgiving for beginners but if it’s what ya have coming already, plant em! 😁

Pic for size comparison that’s my 4x8, it’s a lot of room, but it fills in quick

IMG 0766
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
4x8’s have a pretty fair amount of room but I’d max mine at 8 plants, but I like my plants to get fairly large usually, could easily do 12 plants with less veg time though.

Not sure on those lights I see they show model M5000 but can’t find that model of light to look up it’s real specs, kits are nice but you can get better quality parting it out yourself, may cost a bit more but you normally get much better equipment (that’ll last longer and be higher quality)

I would suggest keeping at least one photo plant to compare growing to the autos, I would go with photos to start, much more forgiving for beginners but if it’s what ya have coming already, plant em! 😁

Pic for size comparison that’s my 4x8, it’s a lot of room, but it fills in quick
Bro that tent is the size of my bedroom 😂 I love it. Someday I will have a big tent.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Bro that tent is the size of my bedroom 😂 I love it. Someday I will have a big tent.
🤣🤣
I do like the room in there, can walk around if you only have 4 good sized plants in there so it’s really nice if you like to keep the smell down you can go in and close the door back up behind you, now that the tent is not in use I was using it as my trimming tent so I was fully closed in while trimming, nobody smelled a thing in the house 😁

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

There's no rule about how many plants go in how much space. It depends on grow style. My guess is with autos in a first grow, you'll have more than enough room. I'm not a fan of autos for new growers. The fuse is lit when the seed gets wet, and when there are problems, there's no time to fix them before flower.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Hey guys, my state just made it legal for me to grow and was looking for some advice.
Congratulations. Welcome to the farm.

I started with a big tent and autos. Now I grow photos in small tents. I basically overestimated how much weed we needed or wanted. I think the main advantage of photos over autos is control. It's helpful to time the flowering from the flip.

I like 4 square feet of floor space per plant, but I like to grow large plants. Someday, I'm going to grow a single, large plant in my 4x4 tent, I think. With autos, there's no need for a flowering light schedule, but you'll want to think about that if/when you switch to autos. Many growers use two tents.

Lastly has anyone used Coast of Maine soil?
I haven't, but many growers do. As far as I know from what they say, it's a very good soil for cannabis.

Pilted

Pilted

Nutrients will be a big factor in a successful grow. Not all nutrient lines on the market are created equal. When choosing a nutrient you need to know what type of media you plan on using (soil, soilless, hydro) once you figure out the medial I would look on here for someone else that's using the same media and then make sure they have had successful grows without deficiencies and then make a decision on the nutes.

Also the seeds you read off all have different stretch and height determined by the strain. Being in one tent getting the light right with different height plants is difficult. I would look at the website you bought the seeds and try to stick to seeds that have same ending height to keep a somewhat even canopy. Training can help while in veg and early flower but if you put a tall plant with a small plant you might come into issues.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Nutrients will be a big factor in a successful grow.
Agreed. Synthetic versus organic was a steep learning curve for me. I eventually chose organic.

When choosing a nutrient you need to know what type of media you plan on using (soil, soilless, hydro) once you figure out the medial I would look on here for someone else that's using the same media and then make sure they have had successful grows without deficiencies and then make a decision on the nutes.
So true. Many growing methods work well, but how they're done can differ significantly.

T

Tofta

Great info guys, Thanks! So I think I will go with coast of Maine as it will take 4 bags to fill 12-3 gallon bags and will only need 2 feedings during veg and 1 or 2 during flowering and is pH leveled and full of organic nutrients. Should keep my soil/nutrient cost well under $150.

T

Tofta

Alright guys, got the tent and light in, just waiting for the essentials kit (8inch ventilation and standard stuff that comes in most grow kits). They ran out of the lights so they upgraded me to the next tier which was 5-200w with Samsung 301h leds. So pretty excited about that! Overall everything seems to be of good quality and the lights are pretty awesome.

20231230 141642
20231230 142711
20231230 135952
20231230 135923
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Not sure, but here's the data for them. All I know is I plugged one of them in and accidentally blinded everyone in the front room.
They're bright, for sure. I warn people not to look at the lights when I show my grow. There are special glasses available to protect the eyes if you spend a lot of time working under the lights.

It doesn't but I guess I can section it off?
It depends on how you want to grow. Some growers use one side (or tent) for vegetation and use the other for flowering. I believe that's because it allows harvesting crops more often. That's not necessary, though. You can certainly do a complete grow in one tent. That's what I do, so I'm not the one to ask about separate vegetation and flowering. I only asked because I was curious.

Latest posts

Top Bottom