AC advice needed for flip flop rooms

• Thread starter kushtrees
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kushtrees

Hi everyone I am currently putting together 2 identical flower rooms and have come to the point where I need to figure out what kind of AC to get... so heres the idea...

both rooms are in my garage...rooms are 9x12 both have 2 1000w and 6 600w totaling 5600w in each room, the lights are non vented and all barebulbs and I will be using co2 trying to keep my temps around 81-84. The rooms will be on a flip flop with the room that has a sun facing wall being run at night and the other will be run during the day. In the summer it gets to be up to 90 degrees here on the really hot days...

my question is, is there anyway to cool both rooms using 1 mini split AC? i was thinking a dual 2-3 ton AC because the rooms will only need lots of cooling when the lights are on, right? if i calculated it correctly I would need a 2 ton AC for each room to cool very efficiently but due to limited amps that might be difficult to do. All advice is welcome as this will be my 1st grow using AC and co2 equipment and I want to make sure to get the right stuff. thanks everyone!

I

ibTheMan

yah some mini's have 2 blower heads off of one unit, thats what you need.imo

K

kushtrees

Exactly what I was thinking but should I be getting a 2 ton or a 4 ton I'm no sure how they work well enough to figure that out

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi everyone I am currently putting together 2 identical flower rooms and have come to the point where I need to figure out what kind of AC to get... so heres the idea...

both rooms are in my garage...rooms are 9x12 both have 2 1000w and 6 600w totaling 5600w in each room, the lights are non vented and all barebulbs and I will be using co2 trying to keep my temps around 81-84. The rooms will be on a flip flop with the room that has a sun facing wall being run at night and the other will be run during the day. In the summer it gets to be up to 90 degrees here on the really hot days...

my question is, is there anyway to cool both rooms using 1 mini split AC? i was thinking a dual 2-3 ton AC because the rooms will only need lots of cooling when the lights are on, right? if i calculated it correctly I would need a 2 ton AC for each room to cool very efficiently but due to limited amps that might be difficult to do. All advice is welcome as this will be my 1st grow using AC and co2 equipment and I want to make sure to get the right stuff. thanks everyone!

All depends on how well your room is insulated and sealed. Also depends on how hot your area gets in summer. If it gets hot outside the room that lights are off during day will need a considerable amt of a/c also. Because remember that you want a temp difference between lights on and lights out. A 2 ton unit will draw about 15-18 amps in full cool. Also if you get a dual zone mini you will get equal size indoor units. Say you get a 3 ton dual zone you will get two 1.5 ton indoor units. Also I believe that you will not be able to find a 4 ton unit with only two 2 ton air handlers. So with all that said a separate unit each room would be best. By the way I am a HVAC pro.

K

kushtrees

glad to hear from you cannabis john ive looked over ur AC thread and it is pretty amazing I must say big props!

That was the impression I was under regarding the dual zone minis... If the rooms are sealed well, the garage is decently insulated usually stays about 5 degrees cooler and thats with an open window (its currently used to vent another room), and the outside temps in summer get up to 90 on some days.

that being said do you think 2 seperate 2 tons would be best? or could I get away with the dual zone 3 ton? my only issue with getting 2 seperate 2 tons is that Im already going to have add a breaker for what ever AC I get and adding 2 might not even be possible Ill have to check with my electrician. If I cant add 2 breakers, would it be possible to get a dual zone 4 ton, put it on a 30 amp breaker and then put like 2 blowers per room? Thanks so much for the help Im a complete AC noob right now but im working on changin that :)

R

RMCG

I'm in the same boat as you.

I have been going back and forth between multiple units or multiple zones.

It looks like with the Daikin units (VRV-III-S) you can 'oversubscribe' the outdoor unit by up to 130%.

ie. 3T outdoor unit connected to (2) 24k btu air handlers. If they are running flip-flop, you probably won't have them both going full blast at the same time.

I am still researching it and haven't gotten to pricing them/all the details, etc. but might be worth investigating for your set up as well.

K

kushtrees

very cool RMCG I was actually looking at your flip flop thread a lot when I was considering the UC... I will definetly have to look into those and ill let everyone know what I find thanks!

Top Bottom