Accident = Possible Increased Yield

• Thread starter ByrneBurnham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

Good afternoon my fellow farmers (or whatever time of day it is where you are as we all know thcfarmer.com is Worldwide like the Wu Tang Clan) ! ! ! Anyways.......early on during the Veg' state I decided to do a much abbreviated version of LST by tying down the top of my plant to induce increased lower
Accident  possible increased yield 2
Accident  possible increased yield
nodal growth........ I used a bit of "burlap" twine for the tie down.....didnt think much of it until this happened. .....

The twine actually cut into the main stem once the "top" of the plant started to curl back upwards and fortunately I caught it (the cutting into the main stem) before it got too bad......

Whats really strange here is that the main stem (with a deep cut into it) continued growing BUT oddly enough the two nodal shoots beneath the "top" grew as if the top had been removed.......I ended up with 3 main tops and although the pictures may not look like it - the outer shoots are just as robust and thick as the main stem and for the most part it outgrew the original top.....
Anybody else experienced such a mistake that may have resulted in your plant having 3 main tops while not having removed the original main top ?

Sorry about the image laying on its side-just couldn't figure out to correct it while posting...... thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any helpful responses ! ! !
Byrne

ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

The damage would have triggered the production of auxins or cytokinins just as topping would have. :)

FireBean- I absolutely thank you for responding and appreciate the knowledge. Now that Ive looked over my records I was incorrect in saying it was the burlap twine that cut into the meristem - it was actually a plastic twist tie (which makes more sense seeing how it was such a flat angled cut).

Been Burned - this strain is KC Brains Escape...... I'm planning on using this strain as a base to later cross with. I've always enjoyed the effect that Brains Escape has given me on its own. Brains Escape grows unusually large once it's in its flowering stage plus it has this uncanny ability to produce massive tops - no matter the number of tops that exist on the plant.
It also roots really easy making it a prime candidate for soil layering (of which I have a "test" female being layed down as we speak). I will definitely make a grow diary for my grow this Summer but I prefer to present the diary in its entirety rather than having a thread that's updated week to week (or for some every 2-4 days) as we all know how that can simply use up wayyyyy to much space on this awesome forum we're privileged to be a part of.
Those diaries are like watching paint dry....... I don't think most growers prefer seeing an "internode by internode play by play" of a plant's life you know ?

With that being said - this plant started out as a triploid (sp?) right from seed but 4 weeks into it (maybe 2-4 internodes) - it reverted back to the normal growth pattern.....here's a baby shot of it......
20140615 124041

Last edited:
ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

Thanks for chiming in bongobongo ! ! ! Ive taken quite a few clones that will serve as experiments (1- mainlining, 2-seed donors, 3-normal topping, 4-grow out without any input or modifications by the me the grower)....although it'll be part of my grow diary-the strains are KC Brains Spontanica (a straight up BEAST as the shoots are HUGE), KC Brains Escape, Hawaiian Skunk Haze and Strawberry Blue.

As an fyi-the HSH and Strawberry Blue were freebies and they are both doing QUITE WELL. The S.B. smells to "high heaven" and has such a straight meritstem that resembles a skyscraper ! ! !

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
With that being said - this plant started out as a triploid (sp?) right from seed but 4 weeks into it (maybe 2-4 internodes) - it reverted back to the normal growth pattern.....here's a baby shot of it......View attachment 434699
As @bongobongo said: "It's a whorl!!!!".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllotaxis

Whorled Phyllotaxy plants are often misidentified as Polyploids,
but Polyploidism refers to the number of chromosomes;
and Phyllotaxy has to do with leaf arrangement.

Besides being wrongly identified as Triploids,
Tri-Whorled plants are also often (mis)called Trifoliate;
which just refers to a compound leaf with three leaflets.

@Sativied is doing good work on these type plants--
Breeding for whorled phyllotaxy ...

TriWhorl

ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

As @bongobongo said: "It's a whorl!!!!".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllotaxis

Whorled Phyllotaxy plants are often misidentified as Polyploids,
but Polyploidism refers to the number of chromosomes;
and Phyllotaxy has to do with leaf arrangement.

Besides being wrongly identified as Triploids,
Tri-Whorled plants are also often (mis)called Trifoliate;
which just refers to a compound leaf with three leaflets.

@Sativied is doing good work on these type plants--
Breeding for whorled phyllotaxy ...

View attachment 434868

A hhhhhhh - I truly thank you Geologic for correcting my misinformation. This is one of the main reasons our forum stands hands and shoulders above the rest......our more knowledgeable farmers are willing to educate us on this plant we all share a common love for. What an awesome educational experience ! ! !

Top Bottom