Added Molasses Pistols Turned Brown

• Thread starter CJohnson 78
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Won't use avid again. Any suggestions on what to use as preventive I do get the occasional critter in my basement.
I keep the following products on hand for dealing with possible pests:

Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis, including a couple of subspecies)
Spinosad (! really great product, but if used outside use with care)
Isopropyl alcohol
JMS Stylets oil
Liquid non-antimicrobial soap

I can deal with most pests using these things, and the iso is my usual go-to because I see spider mites annually outside.

Azamax is a good preventative, but it's expensive, so I no longer really use it. Many will advocate for neem, I'm not a fan because of the odor and its persistence. Azamax is a derivative of one of the active compounds in neem, and is known *not* to cause resistance in spider mites, so that's a very good thing. None of these other products are known to cause resistance either.

CJohnson 78

CJohnson 78

Your plants are starting senescence. All the strains you mentioned will be starting to mature now especially the tops, the Thai and green crack should be really pucking up orange hairs next week and the blue dream will keep putting out new white hair growth for another 2-3 weeks. I harvest green crack at day 52, its almost always 100% mature with trichs starting to amber.
The Thai started to turn a reddish purple looks really nice. It seems I'm getting a second wave of pistols They have been drinking lots of water but little growth so should I be expected them to bulk up in the next few weeks.

CJohnson 78

CJohnson 78

If PPE is personal protection. Did not protect myself. I sprayed 4-1/2 weeks ago and I'm fine. Didn't know I needed protection against avid. Directions were to mix with water lightly mist plants let dry turn light back on after 20 minutes when dry and continue as normal. It takes 8 weeks to leave plant. Anything that bites plant dies. Guy at grow shop said he uses it and never had a problem with bugs so I got some cause I was having problems.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They're beginning to stack, absolutely, but a good bit of bulking occurs in the last couple of weeks before they're done, IME.
If PPE is personal protection. Did not protect myself. I sprayed 4-1/2 weeks ago and I'm fine. Didn't know I needed protection against avid. Directions were to mix with water lightly mist plants let dry turn light back on after 20 minutes when dry and continue as normal. It takes 8 weeks to leave plant. Anything that bites plant dies. Guy at grow shop said he uses it and never had a problem with bugs so I got some cause I was having problems.
Oh... FUCK. So you bought it at a grow shop and obviously it came with absolutely NO labeling.

This shit gets me so fucking pissed off! That guy could have seriously harmed you. SERIOUSLY.

And if that idiot is using this stuff as often as I'm guessing, he's doing is level best to create resistant bugs, and he's going to achieve it with spider mites with a quickness that can make your head spin.

For fuck's sake.

Good thing you're fine, but it doesn't take much Avid to really mess a person up. Next time you buy any kind of cide like that, purchase it from a qualified vendor, not a God damned grow shop that repackages without labels. I'm so mad at them!!! You have no idea what you're doing, but they SHOULD. Sons of bitches, out for a buck and that's it.

CJohnson 78

CJohnson 78

Thanks for looking out for my well being. Also you are right I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm pretty much winging it at this point. I just finished the 5th week of flower. I am almost to victory anything I need to look out for or just feeding them as scheduled and let the ladies do there thing.

CJohnson 78

CJohnson 78

One question about light height. My 400 watt hps is about 2 feet away from the canopy and the temp is 82 degree farenheit and 72 at the base of the plant. Is this ok for daytime temps. It's gets as low as 64 during the night.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think it's fine for daytime temps and it doesn't look like that distance is stressing the plant out to me.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Dude at hydro store needs his azz kicked!!!! There is a lot of relabeling going on like @Seamaiden mentioned.

With that said, I would recommend googling the main active ingredient in what you plan on using and get the MSDS (material safety data sheet)..... sidenote osha has revamped the system and they are now called SDS (safety data sheet) on that compound and it will tell you what the health risks are and tell you what sort of PPE you need. But again with relabeling happening there is really no sure fire way to know what your dealing with. Relabeling began in earnest when there was all the public outcry over PGR's. Its also a devious way for mfgr's/resellers to get around EPA restrictions concerning pesticide use and regulation.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

So two things here. The hydro guy is a dumb-ass like others have stated. However, the OP needs to understand in life, the only person looking out for you is yourself. Ultimately, every individual needs to understand fully what implications of their choices could mean.

Everybody knows it's few and far between to find a good hydro store. Everybody knows they will sell you anything and not care. Everybody also knows the potential danger of miticides. With those three known facts, why in the world would the OP not take 5 minutes and do a Google search?

Find out the long term effects of chemical miticide exposure. Just because you feel fine today, doesn't mean you didn't get exposed to potential long term effects from exposure.

Next figure out how these bugs build resistance to these chemicals, and people that just spray avid regularly are creating super bugs. AND EFFECTING MY GARDEN IN THE LONG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People like you and your hydro store guy scares me, and you are the people the media will highlight and use as a smear campaign against cannabis. For good reason, you are giving them quite a bit of leverage.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh. I just want you, and anybody else reading this, to understand the repercussions of spraying toxic chemicals without proper research and practices.

Listed strait from the label of Avid

"Personal Protective Equipment
Some materials that are chemical-resistant to this product are listed below. \

Applicators and other handlers must wear: • coveralls worn over short-sleeved shirt and short pants • chemical-resistant gloves (such as barrier laminate or butyl rubber) • chemical-resistant footwear plus socks • protective eyewear For shadehouse and greenhouse uses, applicators ?nd other handlers must wear a dust/mist filtering respirator (MSHAINIOSH approval prefix number TC-21C). Wear chemical-resistant headgear for overhead exposure. Wear chemical-resistant apron when cleaning eqUipment, mixing, or loading, Discard clothing and other absorbent materials that have been drenched or heavily contaminated with this product's concentrate. 00 not reuse them. Follow manufacturer's instructions for cleaning/maintaining PPE. If no such instructions for washables, use detergent and hot water. Keep and wash PPE separately from other laundry."

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Everybody also knows the potential danger of miticides.
I disagree with that premise, I cannot assume that everyone knows the dangers of miticides. The rest of it is important to be mindful of, of course, but I try not to make assumptions about what other people know. :)

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Really? People don't know the "potential" danger of miticides in general? I would surely hope every farmer would?

Guess i ass-u-med too much.:cool:

That scares me even more.

Edit:
On a positive note, those plants look great. They should test negative for avid given your timing of your spray. The browning looks like maturing, and not an issue. Good luck my friend, stay safe.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
When do you guys think the effects will kick in from the RAID battles my brother and I had when we were kids. LOL!

I like using them all in TR spray cans now. Place mini bomb in room, activate and don't go in the room until the next day. Also do it at lights out and unplug everything. Turn everything on the next day.

No masks, no protective clothing, superior coverage and way easier.

saltwater

saltwater

When it comes to mites I spray plants with pure water and keep them
Soaked with water thought the week and eventual they disappear. I soak the bottoms and the tops daily every morning. Saves me money in chemicals. But everything has different techniques.

Dabominable

Dabominable

I keep the following products on hand for dealing with possible pests:

Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis, including a couple of subspecies)
Spinosad (! really great product, but if used outside use with care)
Isopropyl alcohol
JMS Stylets oil
Liquid non-antimicrobial soap

I can deal with most pests using these things, and the iso is my usual go-to because I see spider mites annually outside.

Azamax is a good preventative, but it's expensive, so I no longer really use it. Many will advocate for neem, I'm not a fan because of the odor and its persistence. Azamax is a derivative of one of the active compounds in neem, and is known *not* to cause resistance in spider mites, so that's a very good thing. None of these other products are known to cause resistance either.

Where/what do you use/get your BT? Does it have a name?
What is your method/dilutio rate for foliar spraying with iso?
Care to give us a few of your go to mixtures per gal mixxes orso?
I still have to use avid once in awhile with new strains, broad mite is a mother here..
But am trying to switch to fully natural and or organic if able
Thx!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
First, for anything that's labeled, I go according to manufacturer directions using Solanaceous veg as my corollary plant (nothing is labeled for use on cannabis or hemp in the US, that's the issue). This goes for JMS, Spinosad, anything that's labeled. I never use less than the labeled dosages, either.

For Bt I have DiPel, which in California requires at least an operators permit to purchase, and good old Safers Caterpillar Spray as well as Mosquito Dunks, but I use those in my rainbarrels mostly. Use at labeled rates, sometimes I'll go with a higher rate for quicker action.

My ratio for iso is usually 1:1 water:iso, I haven't yet experimented with going to a higher ratio of water:iso, but I have heard it works.

When using a soap that's not labeled for use on plants or for insecticidal Tx, I start with 1-2tsp/gal.

Um... did I hit them all?

Dabominable

Dabominable

First, for anything that's labeled, I go according to manufacturer directions using Solanaceous veg as my corollary plant (nothing is labeled for use on cannabis or hemp in the US, that's the issue). This goes for JMS, Spinosad, anything that's labeled. I never use less than the labeled dosages, either.

For Bt I have DiPel, which in California requires at least an operators permit to purchase, and good old Safers Caterpillar Spray as well as Mosquito Dunks, but I use those in my rainbarrels mostly. Use at labeled rates, sometimes I'll go with a higher rate for quicker action.

My ratio for iso is usually 1:1 water:iso, I haven't yet experimented with going to a higher ratio of water:iso, but I have heard it works.

When using a soap that's not labeled for use on plants or for insecticidal Tx, I start with 1-2tsp/gal.

Um... did I hit them all?

Ok, so i use monterey w/spinosad for pretty much all my immediate baby infestations like spider mites. I did have a pretty good amount of caterpillars this run, at my new place, where it does tend to be dryer most of the day. Have you heard of 'Microbelift BMC'? I think its the concentrated form of a species of liquid BT, 2 drops per gallon treatment. Bottle is less then $20, and i have not see a fungus gnat or mite since i watered with it once, nearly 2 months ago. Would i see better results with the Caterpillar spray by safer vs monterey w/spinosad? As always, you learn me some new stuff, so trying to take it all in. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom