Adding a Trellis net and I need some advice

• Thread starter Christos1974
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Christos1974

I'm currently in week 4 of veg, thinking of adding a trellis net for the first time, I'd appreciate any advice on the subject. Do I bend the plants sideways? Do I just let them grow into the net?

Jbl613

Jbl613

You will bassically want to keep weaving the tallest branches through the netting to allow the other branches to reach the top of the canopy and then you will have an even canopy! If that didnt male any sense I just smoked a blunt you will have to forgive me lol

freezeland2

freezeland2

I’m not a fan of nets. Too big of a PITA unless you have unlimited space to work around it.

Have you considered SOG instead of SCROG?

C

Christos1974

You will bassically want to keep weaving the tallest branches through the netting to allow the other branches to reach the top of the canopy and then you will have an even canopy! If that didnt male any sense I just smoked a blunt you will have to forgive me lol
I makes perfect sense my friend. Thanks for the advice and enjoy your blunt!

growsince79

growsince79

I'm currently in week 4 of veg, thinking of adding a trellis net for the first time, I'd appreciate any advice on the subject. Do I bend the plants sideways? Do I just let them grow into the net?
I try to keep my plants small enough that I don't need to use one, but somtimes its not possible. For me, the purpose of the trellis is to keep the plant from getting too tall. Instead of bending each branch and tying it to the pot, its just easier to use a trellis. Bend and weave; make the tallest branches grow to the outside.

C

Christos1974

I’m not a fan of nets. Too big of a PITA unless you have unlimited space to work around it.

Have you considered SOG instead of SCROG?
I've heard of SOG but don't know much about doing it. Would that be a better alternative?

C

Christos1974

I try to keep my plants small enough that I don't need to use one, but somtimes its not possible. For me, the purpose of the trellis is to keep the plant from getting too tall. Instead of bending each branch and tying it to the pot, its just easier to use a trellis. Bend and weave; make the tallest branches grow to the outside.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Does adding a net(other than height issues) considerably increase yield or do you recommend just topping the plants and growing it without one?

growsince79

growsince79

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Does adding a net(other than height issues) considerably increase yield or do you recommend just topping the plants and growing it without one?
the trellis doesn't increase yield; tying the plant down to an even canopy does. It depends on the plants too. Short compact plants don't need to be tied down.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I've heard of SOG but don't know much about doing it. Would that be a better alternative?
I use LST with soft ties in veg. When I flip to flower I use plastic LST clips to spread and maintain canopy height. It fills the grow space pretty good. No netting to deal with at harvest or if I need to get at a plant for whatever reason.

growsince79

growsince79

I use LST with soft ties in veg. When I flip to flower I use plastic LST clips to spread and maintain canopy height. It fills the grow space pretty good. No netting to deal with at harvest or if I need to get at a plant for whatever reason.
Good advice. Trellis is such a pain in the ass. For me it's a last resort.

C

Christos1974

Thanks for the information. It makes sense to be able to pull your plants out whenever needed, LST seems a more logical.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've only done a scrog 1 time so I'm not a pro at this. I like a lot of folks wove my branches through the netting, what a pain in the ass at harvest to cut and remove the plant from the net. I was watching an unrelated video on growing and the guys were using zip ties to hold the branches down onto the netting rather than weave through......these pro growers had hundreds of plants......I'm using zip ties in the future

C

Christos1974

I've only done a scrog 1 time so I'm not a pro at this. I like a lot of folks wove my branches through the netting, what a pain in the ass at harvest to cut and remove the plant from the net. I was watching an unrelated video on growing and the guys were using zip ties to hold the branches down onto the netting rather than weave through......these pro growers had hundreds of plants......I'm using zip ties in the future
Do you think LSTing individual plants is a better alternative? It's more work but seems more organized. What are your thoughts on LST over netting?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Do you think LSTing individual plants is a better alternative? It's more work but seems more organized. What are your thoughts on LST over netting?
I'm not a traditionalist grower,,,I bend, tie down, top and generally abuse them in veg....I veg for a long time for most here I have a Bubble Bomb 8 weeks old now that'll be in veg for another 3 weeks. I like to keep them short...when I have the room I'll tie the branches down to spread them out and top many times.....if the still get too tall I'll find a spot on the stem and squeeze and bend in the direction I want the branch to grow.....

C

Christos1974

I'm not a traditionalist grower,,,I bend, tie down, top and generally abuse them in veg....I veg for a long time for most here I have a Bubble Bomb 8 weeks old now that'll be in veg for another 3 weeks. I like to keep them short...when I have the room I'll tie the branches down to spread them out and top many times.....if the still get too tall I'll find a spot on the stem and squeeze and bend in the direction I want the branch to grow.....
Yeah, it seems the tie down LST method is the way to go, thanks for the information.

GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

I just finished a SCRoG grow, over all I would say more bud sites yes, however I found the plants that were more manipulated also were more prone to stress and it affected yield overall in cola size however a higher quantity.

So far quality is undetermined but it seems to be of equivalent potency with visual inspection.

My 10 cents is to top if not done already and the hang a trellis 14 days after the flip once the stretch is well under way to support large buds.

Needless to say I won't be doing a SCRoG grow again until I have a clone mother, too much genetic variability lead to uneven growth. Also uneven lighting led to some funky plants that didn't get fixed until they were week 3 flower.

I avoided having to cut netting out by weaving my net by hand and not tying the intersection points. It works just fine and my inner boy scout had a field day with the knots (clove hitches, half hitches, figure 8's, and bowlines), I was even able to rig it so I could tension the lines to keep the plants tied nice and tight.

Turned out just fine in the end though!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Nets are for growing trees. If that is the goal they are invaluable. When your buds can’t hold up their own weight you are inviting bud rot.

if that’s not what you are doing being clever with number and position of plants and watching how these pros above LST top and FIM are your best friends.

I run 4x8 x8 RDWC with CO2 and I can’t complete even a basic grow without nets. While waiting to ripen they just grow too much.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Thanks for the information. It makes sense to be able to pull your plants out whenever needed, LST seems a more logical.
Here is my current grow I flipped to 12/12 yesterday. In a couple weeks that room will be filled in. The bright green things on the branches are plastic LST clips I mentioned earlier. I’ll add more clips as needed during stretch, or relocate the clips as necessary.

C

Christos1974

Here is my current grow I flipped to 12/12 yesterday. In a couple weeks that room will be filled in. The bright green things on the branches are plastic LST clips I mentioned earlier. I’ll add more clips as needed during stretch, or relocate the clips as necessary.
View attachment 1216772
Nice grow 👌 I'll be sure to pick up some of those clips, thanks!

C

Christos1974

Nets are for growing trees. If that is the goal they are invaluable. When your buds can’t hold up their own weight you are inviting bud rot.

if that’s not what you are doing being clever with number and position of plants and watching how these pros above LST top and FIM are your best friends.

I run 4x8 x8 RDWC with CO2 and I can’t complete even a basic grow without nets. While waiting to ripen they just grow too much.
I appreciate the information, thank you. How do you FIM a plant?

Top Bottom