Adding Carbs To Your Grow

• Thread starter lazarus718
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gartner

Hearing something new, Please who have experienced explain me how this crab, increase the yield of the plants growth...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Crab? Crab shell, could that be what you mean? Unfortunately, I haven't sourced it yet, don't know much about it, can only make a few rather uneducated assumptions. Perhaps if you do a search on it...

Ohh... oh shit. Do you mean carb and... yeah, I'm sorry about that. I use it, and other forms of simple sugars, all the time. Lower doses is how I like to do it because I'm frugal (meaning: really CHEAP) and don't like waste. With the blackstrap molasses I get here in the US I use around 1tsp/gallon of water as an all-around sort of thing, including just plain waterings and this includes going all the way through flower and flush.

***I've also used malted barley extract, a Hispanic cane sugar that's a somewhat raw form called 'panocha' aka panella, similar to jaggery. I would happily experiment with any form of simple sugar and just may try table sugar this year, I've found nothing in its form that says it can't be used carefully and in a limited manner. But, with molasses you get some other nutrient benefits, those being Ca, Mg, and S, if I recollect (FINALLY) correctly.

I can't well quantify what it does for yield, I find it improves flavor vastly and helps a great deal in organic soil applications with keeping bacterial populations high and happy. Some simple molecules can be taken up by plant roots, too.

***Edit*** When using these more concentrated forms of sugar I always water them down. Every year I have to dig out the calculator so I can get to a total sugar content, by percent, that's similar to molasses. Damn if I can remember the percentage of sugar in molasses right now, either. :evilgrin0040:

Obviously, the thicker it is, up to solid, the more sugar it holds. So you have to account for that when preparing it for use with plantings.

B

budseyeveiw

do the molasses need to be sterile? or can you just buy the regula ones?

G

Gartner

Crab is high in carbohydrates, so if you can get the organic nutrition of crab, its better for the growth of the plants...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gartner, do I smell a seriously wicked sense of humor wafting through? :D
do the molasses need to be sterile? or can you just buy the regula ones?
? When it's bottled for human consumption I'm sure it's sterile. I don't know what regular molasses is/are.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

? When it's bottled for human consumption I'm sure it's sterile. I don't know what regular molasses is/are.
crabs, carbs, chitins- they all start w/ 'c', so what's there to fuss about? :icon_spin: Could be a language thing- does he have chitin mixed up w/ carbos or carbos w/ protein? dunno. i do know that you know what crab meal is about, SM, just in case you were wondering.

I'm just gonna keep on trucking w/ my molasses, (79.5% brix, 43% Sugar, 27% moisture) that I pick up in 5 gal pails at the feed store for $25. Gotta keep them crobes happy. Then an extra 1-2 Tbs/5gal goes into the mix 2-3 times during flower for carbo loading. wham, bam

B

budseyeveiw

i guess so. altho i just wondered if any nutrient company made a specific kind which was cleared of any other undesirables that may be in it. perhaps im looking too much into it .

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

i guess so. altho i just wondered if any nutrient company made a specific kind which was cleared of any other undesirables that may be in it. perhaps im looking too much into it .
Organic molasses is available but it's cost prohibitive for my particular grow program. I don't think that the coir, perlite and rice hulls (that I'm waiting on) are organic, per se, but i believe molasses may be the only additive in my arsenal that I don't know to be organic. Hopefully the cane field that my molasses originated from was treated kindly, but that's a difficult one to drill down.
I think it comes down to your personal level of concern, finances and tolerance level. I'm 99% happy w/ my solution.

kushluvr

kushluvr

2Dog, it's worth a try, however, I personally don't care for maple flavor and would be very disappointed if I ended up with maple-flavored weed.

I have used and use molasses, malted barley extract (used for brewing) and the cone sugar sold in Hispanic markets, out here it's sold as panela or pinocha, but it could also be called piloncillo. Date and palm sugars also interest me, but they're not easy to find where I am. I'm considering giving table sugar a try, along with the xylitol we picked up for yet another experiment (xylitol is a sugar alcohol, similar to what's found in fruits, IIRC).

Have you ever thought about sugar in the raw??????

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you ever thought about sugar in the raw??????
Si! Panocha/panela. Jaggery is made from palm sugar, IIRC. I don't think it really matters from where the sugars come, just the form in a general manner. Panocha is a relatively raw product.

http://www.amazon.com/El-Guapo-Piloncillo-Panocha-Mexican/dp/B0036CA6L2

I just learned that the human body has an extremely strong tendency to turn all FRUCTOSE into fat before it uses it for energy or other needs. Everyone is on about how bad HFCS is, but they're not looking at the whole picture--all fructose is a problem if you're fat.

:harvest:

Had Blaze out at our place and he stayed the night Friday, gave me a site consultation on developing the rest of the property. It's organic soil, using the SFW for the win. We need to get a Kubota and start terracing. I don't know if I have the money, I was planning on going to the dentist but, frankly, growing premium weed is more important to me right now. Besides, I'm looking for any excuse I can find not to go!

When I go to Lowe's today I'm gonna stop by the feed store and see if they're either carrying molasses in quantities now, or maybe they've got some fresh A&M (alfalfa & molasses).

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

El Guapo Piloncillo Panela Panocha Aguardiente. me gusto ^^

I once had, what essentially broke down to, a choice between going to the dentist and scoring a bag of weed. I popped amoxicillin for a week and began working on the unhappy back molar for a few days. Late one Spring night, at the end of my shift in the garden patch, I put a hunk of cloth on the tooth, grabbed it w/ a pair of pliers and pulled, taking care not to bring brain tissue along w/ it, and after a lo-o-o-ng tug that sounded like velcro slowly ripping appart, out it came.

After all, there are priorities.

S

swisscheese

My last run I used "House of Herbs" molasses the cheapest kind and did notice an increase in trichome production. Wasn't very scientific but I added 2 bottles to a 55g res and then watered away.

lazarus718

lazarus718

Use molasses. I used it regularly this time and this will be my best indoor harvest. Swollen buds, lots of resin, frosty and plump. Look like what you'd expect to see in a magazine.

D

Diggler

Great discussion! Just started using unsulphered black molasses. 5 mls per gallon. Now are you guys using it only on your water nights or feed nights? What about weeks, all threw flower?

Thanks

Top Bottom