Adding Carbs To Your Grow

• Thread starter lazarus718
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lazarus718

lazarus718

Bloads I would look into terpenes and what produces that flavor. Thiol which is the skunk smell is enhanced by sulfur if I remember correctly. Anyway terpenes and what make them is what u wanna know.

Edit: I know that has to do with aromatics but terpenes determine taste also.

Dex, you've got some killer info man...never even considered terpenes before this conversation and now I'm going to have to spend the next six months of my life locked up in the basement researching away...

lazarus718

lazarus718

Alright gents...so I decided to go the unsulphured molasses route. Picked up some Brer Rabbit blackstrap molasses. Idea behind this is that for my 1st half of flower I am shooting to get a 1:2 PK ratio then switch to a 2:1 PK ratio for the latter half. Haven't figured out how much to use though..got some advice to go for 1tbsp/gal. but still not sure on how often....input?

H

harley34

would i be able to add mollasses to my feed scedule in flower

hammerhead, canna boost and ovedrive at the end. Would it be overkill etc

I used molasses in veg, few things i found out. After including it into a 350L res, the e.c went up by 0.5. PH is pretty stable untill you leave it 1 day then slowly starts to rise, until about day 4 which then levels out, my ph went up from 5.9 to 8.2 at one point. Also noticed if using in your res for more than about 5 days it starts to congele into brown residue. The res was pretty well aerated so this could of caused this

T

ToastyRoadie

Hello, has anyone heard of using gatorade for carboload? I used some a couple of times after seeing someone on a forum rant and rave about it.

Sure didn't seem to harm the plants and there is pretty darn near a flavor for every strain too, lol.

I'm starting back up again and will probably continue with the gatorade.:)

M

Mr.Newcastle

Might have to give it a go this round...does it make all your strains taste the same though or do you get the individual flavors still coming out?

Bud Candy has a fancy bottle. It is very colorful and attracting. Other than that, in my use of it, it was average at best. Try it if you want, just wouldnt spend a bundle on it. It seems a good grow, and a great dry and cure does more for my taste and flavors than anything else. I am trying Sweet for the first time, I'll have a result in 30 days. Cheers.

M

Mr.Newcastle

Hello, has anyone heard of using gatorade for carboload? I used some a couple of times after seeing someone on a forum rant and rave about it.

Sure didn't seem to harm the plants and there is pretty darn near a flavor for every strain too, lol.

I'm starting back up again and will probably continue with the gatorade.:)

I read on another grow site it was myth. Ill never know though. Michael Jordan, I mean MJ, he would say just do it.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Every scientific study I have ever read or studied stated that the casparian strip which is at the band of endodermis determines what gets passed through and what does NOT.

It stated that the casparian strip will only allow the simpliest of sugars to pass. Meaning that all these ingrediants of complex sugars found in these expensive products are just rejected and not allowed to pass through so the plant can use them.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
BioMaster, try it (using sugars). A couple of things are being achieved when using products like molasses, not the least of which is feeding bio-loads, hopefully of nitrifying bacteria of the genuses Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter.
Alright gents...so I decided to go the unsulphured molasses route. Picked up some Brer Rabbit blackstrap molasses. Idea behind this is that for my 1st half of flower I am shooting to get a 1:2 PK ratio then switch to a 2:1 PK ratio for the latter half. Haven't figured out how much to use though..got some advice to go for 1tbsp/gal. but still not sure on how often....input?
Aye! That's too too TOO much! 1T/5gals, or if you must, 1t/gal, not 1T (big T=tablespoon in cook speak, little t=teaspoon). Give every 5-7 days, depending on how often you feed/water. You can just use the molasses when you water 'only', instead of including with feed, too.
would i be able to add mollasses to my feed scedule in flower

hammerhead, canna boost and ovedrive at the end. Would it be overkill etc

I used molasses in veg, few things i found out. After including it into a 350L res, the e.c went up by 0.5. PH is pretty stable untill you leave it 1 day then slowly starts to rise, until about day 4 which then levels out, my ph went up from 5.9 to 8.2 at one point. Also noticed if using in your res for more than about 5 days it starts to congele into brown residue. The res was pretty well aerated so this could of caused this
First, it's extremely important to understand that many organic molecules can not be measured, and therefore cannot be quantified using electrical conductivity (which means the ppm conversion is also just as useless). This is an area where you have to go by feel.

I personally do not use a reservoir, and if I did I would not use molasses in it because it will ferment. What you ferment depends in large part on what's around--when my husband was brewing a lot of homebrew I ALWAYS got beer smells if I left a bucket with any types of sugars sitting long enough. What you also need to understand is that sugars of this type can, will and do foster bacterial growth (hello, fermenters!), and I'm going to guess *that's* what was filming up your reservoir, not the molasses itself.

I

ibTheMan

Hydrozyme brakes down dead root and stuff and trues it into carbs.

lazarus718

lazarus718

BioMaster, try it (using sugars). A couple of things are being achieved when using products like molasses, not the least of which is feeding bio-loads, hopefully of nitrifying bacteria of the genuses Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter.

Aye! That's too too TOO much! 1T/5gals, or if you must, 1t/gal, not 1T (big T=tablespoon in cook speak, little t=teaspoon). Give every 5-7 days, depending on how often you feed/water. You can just use the molasses when you water 'only', instead of including with feed, too.

Man, you guys are killing me! So, do we go with 1tsp or 1Tbsp per gallon? Let's get a poll going and chat about our experiences!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've always said 1t/gal is a great rate to use molasses at. Other sugars need to be adjusted because they may be more or less "saturated". Malted barley extract, if you use it as it comes out of the container, is about 80% sugar, EXTREMELY "thick" with sugar and so a lower rate with that works well. I dissolve the solid sugars like panocha/panela as a simple syrup (equal parts water and sugar), then use like molasses.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Man, you guys are killing me! So, do we go with 1tsp or 1Tbsp per gallon? Let's get a poll going and chat about our experiences!

She said the big "T" is for tablespoon and the little "t" is for teaspoon. I am assuming you were refering to her (Seamaiden's) post with the dosages??

R

roboticucus

how often do people use molasses?

just a little thanks to the biomaster for taking the time to send that message this morning. vary helpfull mate. thanks. sorry i cant send messages yet this was the only way 2 say thanks.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Depends on the situation and at what point we're at in the growing, roboticucus. If I'm trying to get bacteria more well established then I may give it two or three times during the week (in soil and coco). I will give it every watering during flush at a rate of 1T/5gals (one tablespoon per five gallons). Other times they're going strong and so it's only needed weekly or biweekly (every two weeks).

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Of the 3 applications that call for simple CHO sugars, carbo-loading is the one I understand the least. (microbe feeding and fermentation being the other two.) Good info and interesting article. Nothing beats getting the current science from a guy in the lab who's running experiments on the subject.

my2p It's already been brought up, but bears repeating- don't overdo it w/ the sweets, particularly during the end game. I use as much as 1T/gal (soil) in tea/brews early on, but much of the sugar is being exhausted in fermentation and micro feeding. (FWIW- I'm going for an anaerobic and aerobic balance to produce facultative microbes- too dense to discuss here. pic below)

1tsp/ gal during the 2-3 weeks before harvest would seem to be more than adequate for carbo-loading. Besides homogenizing and weakening the strain's natural flavors, an overdose can actually lead to sugar coated buds that bubble when they're lit up, burn black, and are harsh. Seen it w/ my own eyes.

Bulk feed molasses is cheap, (approx $5/gal out the door), and has a higher brix than Grandmothers or Brer Rabbit.

Molass 5gal

Molass label

The Mash Pit- fructose, citric acid, d-limonene, yeast, molasses, and raw nutes. Aerobic <-> Anaerobic = Facultative

Ferm1

I'm putting off a camera purchase to purchase, among other pressing things, a brix meter, (refractometer), to get a closer real time glance at a plant's CHO level and nute uptake efficiency.

lazarus718

lazarus718

Thx for all the replies gents (and lady)!!! Not a bad little article Abob, just wish it had a little more scientific evidence attached but informative none the less. We'll let the plants do the talking in about 6 weeks!

B

budseyeveiw

wouldnt it make sense to just use glucose? seeing as that is the energy form they produce via photosynthesis?

G

Gartner

Adding Molasses for Marijuana

Molasses is one of the nutrient, which mainly increases the amount of sugar, and carbohydrates to the growth of plants,
I am using it only during the flowering stage,,,,
just a few grams of organic molasses is growing a huge yield.....
The smell of the buds are good. by using this..
:harvest:

Top Bottom