Adding Terpenes Back Into Co2 Oil...liquid Or Powder?

• Thread starter JahYakel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JahYakel

Ive been extracting cannabis on a 5l supercritical co2 machine, and getting some bland tasting oil. The owner has tasked me with doing R&D on adding terpenes back into the oil to increase the flavor and overall smoking experience. From what I have found, there are MANY companies who offer the basic terpenes found in cannabis; alpha & beta pinene, myrcene, limonene, linalool, etc. These are in small vials in a concentrated liquid form. I have also found some of the same terpenes in powder form, however I am not confident in their functionality. Most of what I have been researching is geared toward the use of liquid terps and I am nervous of the integrity and consumability of powder terpenes. Does anyone have any information or insight as to what route I should go and any proof or reasoning why? I am trying to go the liquid route, however another coworker is convinced that powder is the way to go...

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Ive been extracting cannabis on a 5l supercritical co2 machine, and getting some bland tasting oil. The owner has tasked me with doing R&D on adding terpenes back into the oil to increase the flavor and overall smoking experience. From what I have found, there are MANY companies who offer the basic terpenes found in cannabis; alpha & beta pinene, myrcene, limonene, linalool, etc. These are in small vials in a concentrated liquid form. I have also found some of the same terpenes in powder form, however I am not confident in their functionality. Most of what I have been researching is geared toward the use of liquid terps and I am nervous of the integrity and consumability of powder terpenes. Does anyone have any information or insight as to what route I should go and any proof or reasoning why? I am trying to go the liquid route, however another coworker is convinced that powder is the way to go...

If you can reduce your heat. Heat destroys flavonoids and Terpenes.

J

JahYakel

@Two.Bears reduce heat on my solvent or expansion?

when I do terp runs I'm generally between 50-60c

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Greywolf would the the guy to talk to. I'm sure he'll pop in shortly. If not, shoot him a pm.

Graywolf

Graywolf

The mono and sesquiterpenes are C-10 and C-15 aromatic hydrocarbons, are alcohols, ethers, aldehydes, ketones, and esters, which are all liquids at room temperature. There are also levels of purity, depending on extraction and refining methods, as well as intended purpose. Not to forget that some of them are used for industrial purposes, like stripping paint.

For food grade terpenes I recommend a source like http://extractconsultants.com/

J

JahYakel

The mono and sesquiterpenes are C-10 and C-15 aromatic hydrocarbons, are alcohols, ethers, aldehydes, ketones, and esters, which are all liquids at room temperature. There are also levels of purity, depending on extraction and refining methods, as well as intended purpose. Not to forget that some of them are used for industrial purposes, like stripping paint.

For food grade terpenes I recommend a source like http://extractconsultants.com/

I'm glad you recommend Extract Consultants, I was just talking with Max and he has been nothing but helpful.

Have you had any experience with d-limonene in capsules from health food stores? the other ingredients say, "softgel consists of geltin, glycerin and purified water; caramel and carob as a light barrier." are these literally just in the outside coating of the softgel, or are any of them mixed into the extract? point being, if I suck the extract out with a syringe and add it back into my oil for some r&d while I wait for my sample pack from Extract Consultants, will there be any harmful side effects or reactions from what else is in the cap? maybe a snap crackle pop from the water, but the caramel and carob? i feel like i would be using so little (.1ml or so for small batch) that the caramel, if in the extract, wont effect anything. I don't plan on marketing these by any means at this point as I do not know the side effects or the like, but I am curious for my own knowledge and use.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I'm glad you recommend Extract Consultants, I was just talking with Max and he has been nothing but helpful.

Have you had any experience with d-limonene in capsules from health food stores? the other ingredients say, "softgel consists of geltin, glycerin and purified water; caramel and carob as a light barrier." are these literally just in the outside coating of the softgel, or are any of them mixed into the extract? point being, if I suck the extract out with a syringe and add it back into my oil for some r&d while I wait for my sample pack from Extract Consultants, will there be any harmful side effects or reactions from what else is in the cap? maybe a snap crackle pop from the water, but the caramel and carob? i feel like i would be using so little (.1ml or so for small batch) that the caramel, if in the extract, wont effect anything. I don't plan on marketing these by any means at this point as I do not know the side effects or the like, but I am curious for my own knowledge and use.
I suspect just a coating, but some dilution could occur.

H

HealthWeed

Couldn't you do a run under lower heat to retain the terpenes, then run at supercritical, and finally combine the products in the end to get the entire profile? I'm about to start doing some CO2 extractions myself (just waiting on our custom 20Lx5L equipment to come in).

J

JahYakel

Couldn't you do a run under lower heat to retain the terpenes, then run at supercritical, and finally combine the products in the end to get the entire profile? I'm about to start doing some CO2 extractions myself (just waiting on our custom 20Lx5L equipment to come in).

this is what I have been doing as of yet for some strains, however I am interested in adding terpenes sourced outside of the cannabis. the terpene fraction I have been harvesting is phenomenal, but I am looking down another road for this experiment.

Top Bottom