Adhd . . .

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
true grit

true grit

I appreciate the sentiment, and I think that if you go through my posts you'll find that the vast majority of them are respectful of others. Talking about my kids, you're right, that's a sensitive subject for me. I'll leave it at that.

Very true, now remember that next time with an argument that doesn't involve your children. I can understand your response whole heartedly, so just remember and apply that across the board when you are on the other side as you have been.

On the actual subject- I've had fam affected by ADD/ADHD/autism/etc...a couple fam that went through all the lists of problems and diagnosis. And honestly sitting back and being bipolar watching, even i could tell none of the meds/treatment worked worth a shit for someone what was "obviously" ADHD. lol. Boiled down to growing up and living with an individual that understood their focus issues, stopped giviing them meds, and forced them to focus on that task at hand. Also diet did help as well. Shit with as much candy/sodas/ and how much I talked/got into trouble the ADD moniker was thrown around too- IMO its like autism these days, not necessarily what I would call an "easy out" for Dr's, but most definitely the first reaction/crutch which leads to all sorts of crap medicine. Not a fan of these diagnosis, especially being manic (just another name/diagnosis) as I've sat there and literally wanted to laugh at the "problems" some of my ADD/ADHD friends had....that weren't even problems. But hey they got meds. :sign0065:

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
the bbc did a doc on this on the uk tv the other month....there was a 5 year old kid on very big dosages and he woke up one night screaming and said his hands was not his and he wanted to cut them off....scary shit...

V

vancerz

Wow, what a way to misjudge the situation and jump to conclusions about a person. It's actually very difficult at this particular moment to not just toss out a FUCK YOU, because you have no idea what I, as a parent, went through with my kids. But, all I'm going to say at this time is that you don't know me, don't know my kids, their disorders, what we went through, what we still currently go through, or how it's been handled.

Spanking doesn't set every child right. Nor does it educate a child. I have to stop now or I'll go on one hell of a rant about this shit.

Do I smell Scientologists in the room? If so, just let me know and I'll leave now.

I think your taking it way too personal my parenting comments where not directed to you at all more in defense of my mom, and you insulted a religion for no good reason other then to try and stereotype me and build a strawman to attack..... Also I am a Muslim if you must know, never would I judge you or what you have done or did not do for your kids that would be very ignorant on my part since im not God I dont know you or your situation.

I think your more upset because I don't agree with your methods but let me state this agin I was sharing a story about my experience with ADHD not yours or your kids.

I did say "Now of course this was my life situation and I wouldn't judge others who feel that pills is the only route they have left with there children or them selfs, but I feel too many parents use pills to calm there kids down rather then doing that thing called parenting."

and your perfectly right about spanking doesn't cure all kids OF course your right! but doesnt teach them anything? I think your wrong, kids learn very quickly about consequence of there actions, a quality I dont think most adults have anymore.. once again I was sharing my story not trying to put you down or state absolute truths, since absolute truths are the qualities of the weak minded and fanatical.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

WOW! I'm having trouble focusing and staying w/ all of this shit. ADD has a humorous, shared human foibles side to it too. I don't agree w/ some of the evaluations/analytics that I've just read, but my event horizon is from the inside looking out so who am I to debate w/ people who have the right rw perspective, ie from their vantage point of the outside looking in. I'm sure they are in a better position to match their sense of feeling "spaced out" to my "spaced out" than vice versa. It's all the same for everyone and everyone shares "those same feelings", right? I don't have a way of knowing because I'm not on the outside looking in so....:sign0065:
Damn. Going over there to get that emoticon just made me lose my train of thought. Shit.

Oh yeah. Plz don't muddy the waters by lumping drug abuse in w/ the disorder. They can overlap (which is where the contention is) but they are 2 distinct subjects. The abusers have other issues. Those responsible for the abuse are where the attack should be focused. Both are fucking it up and making it tough for the people who benefit from the higher levels of particular salts in their system that the meds can supply.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think your taking it way too personal my parenting comments where not directed to you at all more in defense of my mom, and you insulted a religion for no good reason other then to try and stereotype me and build a strawman to attack..... Also I am a Muslim if you must know, never would I judge you or what you have done or did not do for your kids that would be very ignorant on my part since im not God I dont know you or your situation.
Perhaps I am taking it too personally, but when you quote me and follow with the response you did, it reads only as you addressing me specifically.

I don't see any other mothers talking about this. Mothers who've got special needs kids...? Nope, not seein' those, either. Moms with experience, vast experience, in this particular area? Again, nope.

Do Muslims believe that the DSM-IV is nothing but made up mental disorders? What do Muslims believe about mental health problems, learning disabilities, etcetera? Because when you got on your bit about how all you needed was good old-fashioned mothering/parenting, that really reads like a Scientologist to me. I don't think it qualifies as a religion, either. It definitely qualifies as a cult.
I think your more upset because I don't agree with your methods but let me state this agin I was sharing a story about my experience with ADHD not yours or your kids.
If you don't actually know my methods, I can't be angry with you for not agreeing with them, can I?

What specifically pissed me off is you quoting me and then launching into a lecture the way you did. I'll reiterate, you know nothing of the situation that I was experiencing with my children. I don't believe in simply hitting a child (anymore), because I've been down that road and it not only wasn't effective, I felt it bordered on abuse if not crossing the line. You did more than just describe what you experienced, you made judgements about those who do differently. And THAT is what will always piss me off.
I did say "Now of course this was my life situation and I wouldn't judge others who feel that pills is the only route they have left with there children or them selfs, but I feel too many parents use pills to calm there kids down rather then doing that thing called parenting."
You can say you don't judge others, but reading your words they become precisely that. Judgement.
and your perfectly right about spanking doesn't cure all kids OF course your right! but doesnt teach them anything? I think your wrong, kids learn very quickly about consequence of there actions, a quality I dont think most adults have anymore.. once again I was sharing my story not trying to put you down or state absolute truths, since absolute truths are the qualities of the weak minded and fanatical.
Oh, spanking teaches a child something. It teaches them that if they're frustrated or angry, they can physically lash out. Why? Because, that's the time when they themselves receive such punishment. And that's completely different from slapping the hand of a child who's about to stick a hair pin into an electrical outlet, or who's almost dashed out into the street into oncoming traffic, or has squashed a lizard.

I'm not just a mother, I'm a grandmother. And I haven't only raised my own children, I've helped raise nephews, a niece and the unrelated children of other people. I honestly and truly think that someone like myself, someone who can, has, and will taken in other people's kids, someone who has experience and put her money precisely where her mouth is has a much better grasp of all of this than someone who can only speak to how their mother treated them for their ADD/ADHD.

But, let me, as briefly as I'm able, outline the methods that I used with specifically the youngest boy, the Touretter, who became a serious behavioral problem by the time he was 2yo, and then began ticcing at age 4. The problems that came early on were things like very poor social interaction, ooor to the point of hurting other children (which, I guaran-fucking-TEE you, will piss off other parents, and then you become concerned about what they may do to your child. Try telling me you're only going to spank that child as a solution to the problem). Hyperactivity that bordered on insanity.

First, trips to the doctor. He doesn't see anything because the child is well behaved in the office, so no referral to psychologist or anyone for evaluation. More trips to the doctor, finally referral to psychologist (not psychiatrist, hoping you and others are following along here and know the differences). Psychologist makes referral. Then, trips to occupational therapists.

In the meantime, marriage splits up, Mom needs to work. But Mom can't because no child care facility will accept this child. Mom can't find a reliable babysitter, so Mom still can't work. Kindergarten rolls around, child is this close to being kicked out of kindergarten, and grandmother and Mom discover an educational program at UC Irvine devised specifically for kids like this. Costs plenty money, grandparents help Mom who can't work pay for it, it helps as long as 'the program' is followed (strict scheduling of activities, taught cues and methods for redirecting and helping child stay on-task, I bet you're familiar with that term, ain't ya?). Kid is removed from public kindergarten (they applauded when he left, I'm sure) and put into program. No meds at this point.

First grade rolls around and child enters public school. Public school teachers, staff, and faculty have NO behavioral training, no training on how to deal with common disorders. Problems get out of control, and my 1st grader is accused of sexual harassment. Things got really fun after that, but to make what's taken a lifetime to occur as short as possible, my discovery of coffee making him calm down when he was 3yo and it becoming part of our bedtime ritual in combination with what were becoming huge behavioral problems that were nicely capped off by ADHD, this boy ended up on meds. AND THEY HELPED TREMENDOUSLY.

But, if the school isn't willing, isn't prepared, to do anything with a more difficult child except stick them in the special education class, which has a specific curriculum and methodology that's not tailored for an intelligent, but very hyperactive and twitchy/touchy child, then more problems are sure to occur. Yes, teacher training, what a concept. I expect it and the law actually requires it.

This child ended up being kicked out of public school in 3rd grade after another incident in which he was accused of sexual harassment. See, he had a couple of really problematic tics, one was spitting and the other was touching people after counting. He focused on the girls he liked, and boy did that turn into a world of trouble.

I cannot tell you how many times I had people tell me I needed to spank my children more. But if I spank them so hard that I hurt myself, what's happening there? I felt, and still believe, that qualifies as abuse. Besides, as a single mother of boys, how long is physical retribution going to be productive, going to get desired results? They got bigger than me pretty quickly. The district supervisor where my boys went to school sat in a meeting and told me that my otherwise normal child belonged in an institution, where he could be kept away from the general population. Honestly, I'd rather have given them pills!

There is so much more about this entire subject that I could say, but this response has already become lengthy enough as it is.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

As I mentioned, I went to elementary school in New England and received much of my first 6 years of socialization under the iron clad fists of 'might is right', ethnocentric, old school (even by 50's standards), biddies w/ buns in their hair and who, w/ great pride, could all trace their ancestries back to the Mayflower. Miss Brown, Mrs Johnson, Miss Stewart, Miss Willits, *and* Miss Campbell, a mean, heavy set knuckle smacker who was determined to run a tight ship, did not put up w/ any extraneous bullshit and who still sends shivers up my spine when I go back in time and see her standing over me in our 6th grade classroom.

Looking back, my father's "spare the rod spoil the child" belief bordered on what would be considered abusive today. I started getting into fights when I was in 1st grade. There were the kids who were the fighters and the kids who weren't. I thought that fighting was just what some kids, like me, were destined to do.

I was big for my age. By springtime in the 3rd grade, (the time of year we all were forced to memorize "In Flanders Field") I was as big as most of the 6th graders, some of whom would goad me into fighting so they could show their buddies that they could beat up a kid who was bigger than they were.

I had to be a challenge for the frustrated teachers, guidance counselors and school nurses that I came into contact w/ because my behavior patterns didn't fit easily into any of the contemporary models of the typical "problem child" of that era.

How could a child w/ all of these behavioral problems , who was a lousy student in the classroom and who seemed to only do just enough to make his way to the next grade have the ability to put together science projects that won Ford Foundation regional awards every year he manages to complete the assignment when it was due?

He can't be "retarded", the label that one savvy, if a bit ill-fated, guidance counselor had attempted to lay on me then quickly retracted after my father, who considered psychology a 'non' or 'impure' science, got up at a PTA meeting, singed her eyebrows and raised holy hell in the room, or so I was told more than once. I didn't fit in w/ the special kids ("dummies") who got to hang out and build things in "shop" for about 4 hours every day, either. (And oh, how I envied them!)

I'd like a dollar for every time I heard the words, "You've got to apply yourself." God damn, lady, I'm applying myself. WTF do you think I'm trying to do here? 30 years would pass before I would understand that I had been applying myself, just not to the agenda that I was expected to fit into. I was on overload applying myself to navigating through life. In retrospect, chaos was a normal part of my condition. Working out techniques and strategies for survival was practically a full time job during my early, formative years.

A note on amphetamines, stimulation and the ADHD metabolism. I don't take a high dose- a week's worth of my meds probably has less fire power than 1/2 of a single snort that a tweaker sucks up his nose but, nevertheless, I maintain a level of dexedrine in my system. It speeds me up only in the sense that it provides some clarity and a level of concentration that helps me to stay w/ a project or thought process longer than I would be able to w/o. There are also a number of seemingly simple things, ie reading instructions and putting a bike together from them, that I formerly struggled with or was unable to do altogether.

Sometimes, I wake up, take my morning dose and go back to bed for a couple of hours if I feel I didn't get enough sleep. I take 15 minute naps during the day to get recharged. I know what "speeding" is from back in the day and if I took a small handful of pills I likely could "speed." That's not what it's about, though. Once an ADDer and his doctor find the right window or plateau w/ the medication, an ADDer has no reason or desire to change things and potentially screw things up... believe me.

V

vancerz

Seamaiden its Ramadan so Im not trying to argue with you honestly, but YOU pointed out there was PROBLEM with MY MOTHER not looking for therapy for me as a kid, and to be honest im offended by your comment becuse it seems like your making judgments when you do not know me or my mom, then you get mad and accuse me of doing the same shit you are doing to me.

"So it was either pills or corporal punishment? Nothing like, oh, say, behavioral therapy? Occupational therapy? Training for the teachers in redirection?
Damn. Well, that's a problem right there, IMO."

my mom raised 6 kids by her self my dad died we were poor we had no money for therapy, and she raised us all right and we all stayed out of trouble, I did respond to your snide comment about what my MOTHER could have done in that situation, not you as a mother otherwise my words would have been a lot more direct.

im not judging you personally and to be honest I dont see anywhere I did that....I can have an opinion even if it offends you its my opinion.

and any religion can be called a cult lets get real, Christianity, Islam and secret societies(L. Ron Hubbard is very interesting person) are my strong suits and I could make a case for them all being cults.

Muslims believe eating real food(halal/kosher), not getting vaccinated and a healthy family life style prevents a lot of the problems that plague the youth of today both physically and mentally.

And my opinion is too many parents/doctors and teachers in general (not you specifically)try to put the kids on drugs first, rather then trying to cure the problem, they just treat the symptoms. the old out of sight out of mind mentality.

Is there ever a reason for medications? of course! but it was not needed for me in my situation I am still glad my mom went her own route of therapy rather then being pressured into the doctors route.

and with spanking first I never said it was a "cure all" it was just part of my "therapy" like I said my mom taught me "LIFE SKILLS" another form of "therapy" that I refer to as "parenting", second I could just as easily say it teaches them empathy not to hit others because they know how it feels, Now this subject im going to drop because any rational person could argue both sides, I feel there is an even ground between the two.

And Ill just say it out right just to be clear, Im sorry I never ment to imply anything about you personally, you just so happen to be a mother, and i was responding to your comments about my mother, I feel thats where a lot of the confusion is coming from.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Alright vancerz, your points are well taken. Rereading the posts, the series of events, you're right. I apologize for my role. I did not mean to insult you or your mother either. The first thing I thought of was what the school might be doing to help her, since you mentioned she was single. I still get the impression they didn't. and that's what I think is a problem. Parents need to parent, absolutely, but schools play a role here, too.

Apology accepted, apology offered.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Apology accepted, apology offered

NICE

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

How many ADDers does it take to change a light bulb?

Only one, but it took several light bulbs and several months to get it done because the ADDer.....

- Bought the wrong sort of lightbulb because s/he couldn't be bothered checking which sort of light bulb was needed cuz that's boring.
- Couldn't remember who s/he gave the ladder
too so decided they had to go buy another.
- Took the old light bulb down, put it on the floor next to the 
new light bulb, got distracted by an important idea, ran to get a notebook to write the idea down, forgot about the light bulb for an hour as other important thoughts came to mind, remembered the light bulb project but couldn't figure out which was the old light bulb and which was the new, picked the wrong one up, screwed it in, got frustrated, said 'fuck it all!, walked away and inadvertently stepped on the new bulb.

Day in. Day out. The same record playing, but...
it ain't all bad. good things and some bennies (no, not those kind) comin' soon.

B

Bhanghead

Whats up farmers. thought i would givemytwo cents on the subject. I was diagnosedwith ADHD in 2ndgrade. From age 7-16 I was prescribed Ritalin. I remember the first few years I had no appetite, no sense of joy, excitment, happiness- were non exsistent. I felt like a zombie. After a few years,around 5-6th grade, I became extremely aggressive. Everyting seemed to take me from fine to homicidal in ten seconds. tillthis day I remember being suspended from school weekly for fighting and actingout in an aggressivly. The couldn't expell me because there was some law that prohibited the school from expelling a child with ADHD, they could only suspend me for a maximum of 3 days. When I entered JR high school doto teenage stress coupled with a larger population of students and therfore more frequent stressful situations my anger issues became much worse. I was that kid in school that everybody knewhad NO fuse. Due to the medication coupled with stress, If you stepped on my shoe I was gonna beat you until you stopped moving. Around 8th grade I started smoking herb. just socially at first but within a short period of time I had an apiphany. when I smoked weed I not onlylost ALL aggressive tendancies, but I was Happy! For the first time in years I didn't want to hurt people for my own gratification, I didnt have to cause harm to feel good! this herb, it made it all go away! I could concentrate,i wasinterested in what other had to say, for the first timein my life I felt normal. In my early childhood I couln't really remember much, something cool that i got for christmas maybe once or twice but not much else.with my mind and body going a mile a minute in every direction constantly I never had time to absorb anything, any kind of memory went right out of my mind for the next racing thought to take over and then another. Cannabis not only succsessfuly restrained my aggressivness, a lifelong "gift" due to the exhorbited amound of prescription meth I was forced to takemy entire childhood, but has made me a funcional, hard working, mentally compitent, and caring, husband and father. every day I reflect on what my life would have turned out to be like if it were not for theplant that healed my mind, my heart, and my life. Sorry if this ishard to read, my keyboard is busted. I just saw this thread and thought it might be good for me to share, for others and myself. I have never told anyone about this other than my wife. thanks.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for sharing Bhanghead. What a wonderful story. You just made my day. Your awesome...Thanks again...CM

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Hey Bhanghead-
I feel ya bro. Thanks for putting it out there.
Some people, (including myself at one point), can't quite grasp how an agent (THC) that enhances spaciness and can create bit of confusion could work to treat the symptoms of ADHD, a disorder that has spaciness and concentration difficulties built into it's very core.

Here's my , (inside looking out) take. I think it applies to people w/o ADD as well.
I think that everyone can relate to the benefits that shutting down the residual clutter of a day and leaving the day's problems back at the workplace have to offer. Some people, (ADD or no ADD), have more difficulty in forgetting and leaving the noise behind than do others. There are several theories about why this is so- a general lack of naturally occurring endocannabinoid activity in response to our current state of evolution is the stance that I take but regardless, smoking cannabis, among other things, stimulates our receptors in that area.

The world slows down, we forget things that seemed so important to us a few minutes earlier and we are free to focus on the "immediate"- what's right in front of us or what we feel like putting in front of ourselves in the moment. For an ADDer who might feel a *little bit* more fried than the average Joe at the end of a tough day, THC intoxication provides a state that I equate to a little bit of heaven.

I can extend my work day if I want and often, but not necessarily always, I can work more effectively from either brain dom side and get better production w/ a buzz on. I typically work the first 4-6 hours of the day on the "nat" and the rest of the day w/ the jumble filtered out. I don't know if I did justice to this, but that's the best I can do, ATM. (I haven't smoked yet today) LOL

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I just added the last sentence ^^ and look what shows up. Perfect timing!! Al B. Bock

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Ahhhhh...

Agent Orange x Lemon Thai (Agent Thai or Orange Thai) haven't landed on the name just yet, but 2 hits, (my equivalent of a single hitter) gives you a a quick ^^upwards^^ jolt. And...

I just realized my plan was to get out of here get over to the "shop" an hour and 15 minutes ago so, I'm outta here. Gotta get the "right" things in front of me quick or I won't get anything done today. ciao

Top Bottom