adjusting PH with 0 ppm

• Thread starter 420Gator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mud Man

Mud Man

Pure water has pH 7, so still, freshly distilled water should have a pH of 7.0. However, interaction with the atmosphere allows carbon dioxide to dissolve into it, forming carbonic acid. As a result, agitating the water or allowing it to sit for a while will leave you with an aqueous solution that drifts down in pH. Because there are no natural buffers in distilled water, the pH can go down as low as 5.0.

just a quick google flex....

i too had trouble adding my Canna Ferts to RO water...

They are designed for Hard Tap...

not sure what ferts you be using.....?

T

The Monkey King

Ph and RO

HAY THERE..a few things you might want to consider

1) There is a chance of screwing up your ph meter by testing pure ro water. the open membranes can strip the ions off your meter

2)you never need to ph adjust ro watter..you add your ferts then ph adjust as the ferts will swing your ph as well.

3)the ph of ro is the same as what goes in it ferts or a couple drops of dust you put in it...osmosis SUCKS it in the membrain..

4)if you have to use ro you will prob be needing to add cal mag supplement.along with a micro nutrient supplement..
pound or river watter is better than ro if at all possible to harvest. as it is loaded with micro nutrients.

5)lucas formula is a ph balanced feeding even in very small doeses..a 200-300 ppm of "lucas formula" will stabilize your water and add many essential micros

still may need cal-mag with ro watter

google lucas formula if you dont know what it is

6) RO is watter were the membrane is clear, and therefore osmosis ocures with almost anything, metal, sedimentary dust ext...the results are VERRY VERRY unstable ph as the water esentialy bounds to any element entering the water and ph a coupled with this bondage

7)ph is over rated imho
8)Ro is over rated in general

G

greenblood

It's not about pH, it's about the affect of alkalinity on water and medium pH. Plain and simple, not enough cannabis growers know this stuff. The books, magazines and FAQs have failed on the issue of water quality in the growroom.

RO water has little to no alkalinity, i.e. capacity to buffer acids.

Read on:

Understanding Water Quality

The first of a two-part series will focus on water pH, alkalinity and control of media pH.

- Bill Argo and Paul Fisher

Differences Between Water pH and Alkalinity

There is a great deal of confusion when it comes to understanding the difference between water pH and water alkalinity, and why they are important to the management of your crop.

The term “pH” is a direct measurement of the concentration of acidic hydrogen ions (H+) contained in a solution. The pH of a solution can be directly measured with a pH meter, and can range between 0 (very acidic) and 14 (very basic). At a pH of 7.0, the solution is said to be neutral. When the pH is above 7.0, and the solution is said to be basic or alkaline (not to be confused with alkalinity). When the solution is below 7.0, the solution is said to be acidic.

Alkalinity (also called acid-buffering capacity) is a measure of all the chemical bases contained in a water. Alkalinity is not a specific ion, but rather includes the concentration of several ions that affect acid-buffering capacity. Under most conditions, the ions that have the greatest effect on alkalinity are bicarbonates like calcium, magnesium or sodium bicarbonate and, to a lesser extent, carbonates like calcium or sodium.

In a water sample, the concentration of all of the ions that makes up the alkalinity term are combined and reported as equivalents of calcium carbonate (CaCO3, the main component of lime), or total alkalinity. Alkalinity can therefore be thought of as the “liming content” of the water. The units used to report alkalinity can be parts per million (ppm), mg/liter or milliequivalents (mEq).

Alkalinity can’t be measured with a pH meter. Instead, you have to use a meter or test kit specifically designed to measure alkalinity. The cheapest and easiest to use are colormetric test kits where an indicator dye is added to the water, then a dilute acid is added until a color change occurs at a specific pH (usually at a pH of 4.5). The alkalinity concentration correlates with the amount of acid in the water.

Water Alkalinity Affects Media pH

When it comes to managing the pH of a container media, the alkalinity concentration has a much greater effect than does water pH. Alkalinity (calcium bicarbonate, magnesium bicarbonate and sodium bicarbonate) and limestone (calcium and magnesium carbonate) react very similarly when added to a root medium. And just like too much limestone, the use of irrigation water containing high levels of alkalinity can cause the pH of the root media to increase above acceptable levels for plant growth.

To compare the effect of water pH or alkalinity on the ability to raise pH (or neutralize acid) in a medium, 50-ppm alkalinity (which is a low alkalinity) would be similar to using a water with pH 11. Irrigation water with a pH of 8.0 would have the same effect on media pH as an alkalinity concentration of only 0.05 ppm.​

My tap water has low alkalinity, around 45 ppm....It's basically perfect for growing. I never use pH up or down. After mixing nutrients, the pH always settles right around 5.8 to 6.0, despite that during the Summer and Fall, the pH out of the tap is over 9.0 (and it's 7 during the Winter and Spring). I've read that it goes up to 9.0 during the warmer months because of organisms in the water supply....The reservoir is literally around the corner from my house.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Excellent information and primer on alkalinity, greenblood. Aquarists know this stuff, but the application of knowledge goes a little differently.

true grit

true grit

My pH from RO to tap swings greatly....once its been through the RO and has a ph that ph stays pretty damn constant. I've let water sit for weeks with the same ph. After a year of use my ph still reads the same out of the RO with about a .2 variation in pH from 5.7-5.85...

When you flush, yes you do have the need to ph your RO water. I have to bring mine up and even after ph up, ppm is only like 25.

Though I can understand that pH may not have as much importance in the water, thats only if your medium is put together well enough to buffer that nute solution to acceptable ranges. Most folks don't ammend their soil accordingly, I personally stopped, increased my input of humic/fulvic acid and found the nutrient uptake much better- but I still had to find a killer ph...and for me its 6.7. Then again, I never test run off either (don't have any), so I couldn't tell ya what runoff ph is but my plants can't be happier or more consistent. Now I'm going and f'n things up switchin to coco. lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom