adjusting soil Ph and further watering

• Thread starter hummusjonas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hummusjonas

hummusjonas

Ok so i had basically a ph problem in my soil in the first week of flower,, I watered it at 500 ppm and ph 6.3, and run off came out 2500ppm and 5.4 ph. The pots are 7 liters so i flushed it with 21 liters (please frogive my metric system) each. Most of the flush was with water at 250 ppm and ph 7, and then the last two watering at 400 ppm and Ph 6.8.
I always thought the ph of water was very important, but seems to be (and correct me if im wrong) that what is most important for proper nutrient uptake and to avoid accumulating salts in the root zone is the ph result from the mix between water and soil. So basically when i water it, the mix between water and soil should be giving me a ph of between 6 and 7. Im thinking about my next waterings as i go through the my flowering period from now on. If i find out that after flushing my ph is at 5.9 for example, shouldnt i be watering with a water that is ph 7, so when they mix they even up to about 6.5ph. All my life i thought that the ph in the water should be between 6 -6.5,, but if the ph soil has droped o remains slightly low, shouldn´t that determine what the ph of my water should be? BOOM

P.S. after day 5 plants stil look amazing but pots are stil heavy,, how long does it take for it to dry?

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
When you grow in soil, there is a lot of material that you are trying to raise the Ph with. I think you were seeing the accumulation of salts, mostly. Salts are the form that most nutes come in. The salts are usually acidic to some degree, so if you have a lot of salts, you will notice a drop in Ph. Most soils sort of self balance around the 6-7 Ph level unless stuff is added. At this point, adding anything other than Ph'd water stands a good chance of going awry, since the materials used to raise the Ph are often slow acting and will swing it too much.
I'm not sure of what type of soil/medium you are using. Just because they are heavy doesn't mean they are overwatered... as long as the roots get oxygen they will be OK. It's when the roots get drowned in standing water that kills them off. Using water at a Ph of 7 is fine... it will help to offset ny acidic nutes that you might add. Cal-Mag can also raise the Ph, but that can also cause issues if used with too much Phosphorus or too much of it by itself.
The bottom line is how the plants are responding. If they are healthy and thriving, then I wouldn't worry too much about the status quo unless you start to see problems.

hummusjonas

hummusjonas

ok thanks for the fast response jimster!!! yes they look very happy so i will keep going with the feeding schedule!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom