Advice needed, not sure what my problem is or if i have one

• Thread starter Dwcmagic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Im at work so i cant get pics to post at this time, but i have an issue. I made my own dwc system, it holds 2 plants. I have 2 super silver haze auto's in there and up until a few days ago all was fine. Both plants are about 3 weeks into flowering, both are in the same fertiliser solution. One plant is doing really well, nice and green, buds coming along nicely, the other plant is buddimg but looks to be about a week behind the other and its also turning yellow everywhere like its defoliating itself. I dont understand how 2 plants in the same water side by side could look so different. Both were planted from seed on the same day and both sprouted within 2 days of the other. I use advanced nutrient ph perfect grow, micro, bloom and also big bud additive. PH is great staya 5.6- 5.9, ppm is right, ec is right. I change water every weekand use distilled water. Why does one plant appear to be dieing and the other flourishing? Does anyone know?

growsince79

growsince79

Im at work so i cant get pics to post at this time, but i have an issue. I made my own dwc system, it holds 2 plants. I have 2 super silver haze auto's in there and up until a few days ago all was fine. Both plants are about 3 weeks into flowering, both are in the same fertiliser solution. One plant is doing really well, nice and green, buds coming along nicely, the other plant is buddimg but looks to be about a week behind the other and its also turning yellow everywhere like its defoliating itself. I dont understand how 2 plants in the same water side by side could look so different. Both were planted from seed on the same day and both sprouted within 2 days of the other. I use advanced nutrient ph perfect grow, micro, bloom and also big bud additive. PH is great staya 5.6- 5.9, ppm is right, ec is right. I change water every weekand use distilled water. Why does one plant appear to be dieing and the other flourishing? Does anyone know?
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So as you can see the plant on the left is the problem plant, the other one is ok. I sent pics of the dwc systwm and the stalks of the plants, also the roots.

Im not a DWC guy... lol, but i dont think the roots are supposed to look like that. @Aqua Man?

Id bet the "healtier" plant is gonna take a nosedive in the near future if you cant correct that. Commas because its not that healthy looking tbh. Whats your ec at?

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Im not a DWC guy... lol, but i dont think the roots are supposed to look like that. @Aqua Man?

Id bet the "healtier" plant is gonna take a nosedive in the near future if you cant correct that. Commas because its not that healthy looking tbh. Whats your ec at?
Ph was 5.76 Ppm was 1120 Ec 2300. While inspecting this plant, i found in the root system about half of the fine roots are missing on one side. You can see it if you look close in the root pic. This would be a big issue wouldnt it? Im not satified with my dwc sytem either, its way too small, worked great for about 5 weeks then i started having issues. Next grow will have seperate pots for each plant. This was an expiriment. The nutes i use, the micro and the big bud have a dark red/brown color to them which stains the roots and anything else it touches

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

When i went into flower mode is when problems showed up.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just laying down trying to to puke... but buddy found the settings problem on the VR causing it...so take a peak after I get up.

Ppm is probably double whats needed...

Running sterile or live?

Water temps and change-up nfo?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ph was 5.76 Ppm was 1120 Ec 2300. While inspecting this plant, i found in the root system about half of the fine roots are missing on one side. You can see it if you look close in the root pic. This would be a big issue wouldnt it? Im not satified with my dwc sytem either, its way too small, worked great for about 5 weeks then i started having issues. Next grow will have seperate pots for each plant. This was an expiriment. The nutes i use, the micro and the big bud have a dark red/brown color to them which stains the roots and anything else it touches
Yeah that ec is almost double what it should be. And looks like you have a pythium problem.

Are you using any water treatments? H2O2? Hydroguard?
Looks like youve got root rot for sure.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Yeah that ec is almost double what it should be. And looks like you have a pythium problem.

Are you using any water treatments? H2O2? Hydroguard?
Looks like youve got root rot for sure.
No im not using any of tjose things and whats pythium? The picture looms like crap but in person the roots look healthy to me, ive grown in soil since i was 15 and im 43 now, the roots based on my knowledge look healthy, the pic is terrible.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
No im not using any of tjose things and whats pythium? The picture looms like crap but in person the roots look healthy to me, ive grown in soil since i was 15 and im 43 now, the roots based on my knowledge look healthy, the pic is terrible.

Maybe some better pics of the roots would help. In that one they look brownish and kinda slimy in spots. Usually an indication of Pythium which is a pathogen that causes root rot.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Just laying down trying to to puke... but buddy found the settings problem on the VR causing it...so take a peak after I get up.

Ppm is probably double whats needed...

Running sterile or live?

Water temps and change-up nfo?
What does it mean sterile or live? Im changing water weekly, based upon advance nutrient charts with the whole 22.68 L of water i use 90.76 ml of each nute, and 45 ml of the big bud. Honestly i may take the big bud away because my problems began aroumd that time that i introduced it in 2nd week of flower. Water temp stays 75-77 °F. Idk, im hurt deeply. These 2 plants were sooooo beautiful thru the Veg stage, the picture of health and now, not looking good. Included pic was about 3 weeks ago

20201124 192043
Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Maybe some better pics of the roots would help. In that one they look brownish and kinda slimy in spots. Usually an indication of Pythium which is a pathogen that causes root rot.
No theres no slimey anything, the 2 fertilisers from advance nutrients, micro and big bud are dark colored and seems to stain anythimg. The water is usually a rust red

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

How do you get rid of pythium? Im new to hydro all together. Tons of outdoor experience but had to move indoor so im goimg small until i figure it out

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Live is using bacteria to prevent root infection. Syerile is using an oxide such as h2o2, pool shock to kill every bit of bacteria, good and bad.

I suggest one or the other absolutely.

The temps can be an issue with that many roots. Your losing surface area for gas exchange and DO levels are lower at those temps so good aeration is absolutely crucial.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Live is using bacteria to prevent root infection. Syerile is using an oxide such as h2o2, pool shock to kill every bit of bacteria, good and bad.

The temps can be an issue with that many roots. Your losing surface area for gas exchange and DO levels are lower at those temps so good aeration is absolutely crucial.
Im running a 20 gal aquarium pump on a vivosun 4 inch long by 2 inch round airstone. Thats a 10 gal storage tote that holds about 6 gal of water, i notice the roots sometimes cover the airstone. I may have gotten away with 1 plant in there. Probly gonna go ahead and take the really rough looking one and try and save the better one. Flower is almost over anyway. Output nowhere near what they should be. Gonna just buy me a dwc bucket system and quit trying to pinch pennies building my own system. I have some G13 seeds still so its try again time

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

If i use pool shock, obviously i dont use much, how much? I may also cut the fertiliser in half. From 90 ml to 45ml until its flush time.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Also the root mass is so large for this container. And they dont hang like they would in a bucket, they kind of sit on bottom of the tote. I have to handle these plants alot to change water, once a week i lift the lid off the tote and set the lid in another container with water in it while i clean the tote and refill with water and nutes. Im very gentle with them, but crap happens i know. General hydro has a nice 4 bucket sytem i will be ordering soon before i grow again.

chemistry

chemistry

Root Rot, like you said, to many plants in one pot root wise. You don't need any pot tec to grow in DWC, five gallon buckets from your local hardware outlet will do you proud, 7 years ago it was all I grew in. My vote goes to enzymes over bleaches.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Root Rot, like you said, to many plants in one pot root wise. You don't need any pot tec to grow in DWC, five gallon buckets from your local hardware outlet will do you proud, 7 years ago it was all I grew in. My vote goes to enzymes over bleaches.
Im gonna cut this worst looking plant today. No sense in wasting anymore time on it. Cut all the popcorn buds off and salvage what i can. I just added 3 gal of distilled water to lower ppm and ec. I was jist reading that super silver haze doesnt like full doses of fertiliser anyway. I did however read that G13 loves fertiliser and thats up next but theyre not autoflowers, just females. Scarey buying weed here in Ga lately, been alot of overdoses and death from smoking weed that some asshat laced up with fentanyl. I dont wanna be on that list is why i went back to growing my own. Lost my whole outdoor crop this year to termites. Been a bad yr.

chemistry

chemistry

I was going to say re-veg the plants you have, but you'll grow 4 new plants from seed in half the time it takes to re-veg the ones you have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom