Advice On Genetics

• Thread starter Snafu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Snafu

been a long time since I've been in the market for genetics (last time I was able to do any sort of growing or sourcing on genetics was in 2012) and at that point I was working with a very small pool and not a very ideal set up but it worked.

I had a connection with centennial seeds and was able to get some tga genetics inexpensive, but it seems like Ben (centennial) isn't really in favor anymore & tga is 50$ a 5 pack and at that price I'd much rather look at something from Sanni, Bodhi , DNA, or something That is well known and established.

I am looking for a really good hydrid that leans a little more toward the sativa side of things.

I guess I am looking for some ideas of solid places to secure the genetics I haven't ordered from any of the overseas banks and that seems a bit sketchy are there any local Colorado breeders that sale their gear that doesn't require med card or buying from Europe?

Also looking for some strain ideas
I use to really like
Durban poison
Golden goat
Blueberry (I enjoyed DJ shorts blueberry and crosses)
Jack the Ripper was always a favorite as well.
Also liked Adam Dunn's gear too

I seem to lean toward a sativa hybrid good for anytime medicating.

There's so many new strains it's hard to just step out on a limb and buy blindly.

Also will be looking to step into some high CBD strains.

A few things issues I hope to target with these strains are
Severe chronic pain
Muscle spasms
Depression
Anxiety

As these are the main alignments that trouble me and being able to put down the opiates and other Rx meds is the goal in growing my own.

I appreciate any help with strain ideas and companies that are reputable to obtain those.

Thanks in advance!

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I'm sure Ben is busy with his otto, hemp, and genome projects. If your connection was sam, good luck with that.

You should read Culture, THC Connoisseur, Westword's Chronicle, Dope, etc. I know there is an MMC that advertises Bohdi.

You should go look through the seed binder at 14er Holistics in Boulder. I've run several strains (they have over 100) and I have seen nothing but fantastic results.

I think if you do a bit of research you will find that there are local breeders, and more well known breeders, in this state. I don't think it's as easy as asking people what they do or where to go. The answer to your questions is 'It Depends'. That answer frustrates me too, but I think you can easily find good stuff around town. *cough*14er*cough*.

S

Snafu

I know Ben (he was my direct connection) and haven't heard back from him in ages. Sam bailed to try and setup something else but it seems to have
Flopped.

Thanks for that advice I've been out of the scene for long enough I didn't even know where to begin again for solid connections I have read a few scary stories as of late and just didn't want to get stuck in a bad situation.

I'll start looking at all those sources you've pointed too.

Thanks for all the help!

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I know Ben (he was my direct connection) and haven't heard back from him in ages. Sam bailed to try and setup something else but it seems to have
Flopped.

Thanks for that advice I've been out of the scene for long enough I didn't even know where to begin again for solid connections I have read a few scary stories as of late and just didn't want to get stuck in a bad situation.

I'll start looking at all those sources you've pointed too.

Thanks for all the help!
I am probably in the minority but I think centennial took a hit when some patients complained about hermie-prone plants. This criticism may have had some evidence behind it, but competition and 1284/106 ended that run. So much so that he pulled the strain. I have nothing bad to say about the guy, but again, there are those around who disagree. I think he opened the door to breeding cannabis in Colorado during the green rush. Not enough people knew about dutch or mailed seeds so I think that's why local guys prospered, for awhile.

I believe 14er has high cbd strains as well. You can't go wrong when they have 150 crosses. check the mmc directories and online menu's, most places that have seeds will advertise them along with the brand, and you can usually find out if a shop has a reputation for bad genes, disease and pests, etc. I'm not going to point any fingers laconte's.

Stay away from livwell seed.

S

Snafu

I am probably in the minority but I think centennial took a hit when some patients complained about hermie-prone plants. This criticism may have had some evidence behind it, but competition and 1284/106 ended that run. So much so that he pulled the strain. I have nothing bad to say about the guy, but again, there are those around who disagree. I think he opened the door to breeding cannabis in Colorado during the green rush. Not enough people knew about dutch or mailed seeds so I think that's why local guys prospered, for awhile.

I believe 14er has high cbd strains as well. You can't go wrong when they have 150 crosses. check the mmc directories and online menu's, most places that have seeds will advertise them along with the brand, and you can usually find out if a shop has a reputation for bad genes, disease and pests, etc. I'm not going to point any fingers laconte's.

Stay away from livwell seed.
I think you're right Ben had an issue with one or two strains, but the guy is geunine dude and has a lot of other nice offers and he's one of the few guys I've known to house 16-18' sativa monsters growing on his flood table haha went up to visit a few times and holy hell those trees were massive!

Thanks for the advice on who to try and who to stay away from, advice taken and dually noted!

K

kolah

I'm sure Ben is busy with his otto, hemp, and genome projects. If your connection was sam, good luck with that.

You should read Culture, THC Connoisseur, Westword's Chronicle, Dope, etc. I know there is an MMC that advertises Bohdi.

You should go look through the seed binder at 14er Holistics in Boulder. I've run several strains (they have over 100) and I have seen nothing but fantastic results.

I think if you do a bit of research you will find that there are local breeders, and more well known breeders, in this state. I don't think it's as easy as asking people what they do or where to go. The answer to your questions is 'It Depends'. That answer frustrates me too, but I think you can easily find good stuff around town. *cough*14er*cough*.

Which strains from 14er did you like best?

S

Snafu

I'm also a good drive from 14er but will definitely attempt the trip in the new year.

S

Seed Buyer

Why not just buys seeds form one of the many US seed brokers now shipping out of Ca, AZ, MI or WA? Probably two days in the mail and then you got beans. Instagram is filled with new seed vendors ready to ship nationwide.

S

Snafu

Thanks for bringing that up as I had no clue as I've been an Instagram user and will now check it out.

Underthesun

Underthesun

I guess instead of starting a new thread, I'll just ask my question here. Anybody buying local seeds that are sativa dominent that perform outdoors or in a greenhouse well? Finishing by mid Oct?

I need to check out 14er. Do you need a med card to buy from them? I see nothing about seeds on their website.

Sirtiva

Sirtiva

They have a med and rec side, I would think theyd have seeds available at both however I don't know this for a fact..
Get with HB420, great guy.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I guess instead of starting a new thread, I'll just ask my question here. Anybody buying local seeds that are sativa dominent that perform outdoors or in a greenhouse well? Finishing by mid Oct?

I need to check out 14er. Do you need a med card to buy from them? I see nothing about seeds on their website.
I would recommend just calling. I saw they had some online, called, they said nope. The medical side of most places seem to offer seeds with a greater abundance than rec. 14er uses facebook rather than an actual updated website from what I can tell.

I believe GreenMan carried Rare Dankness seeds, not sure if they still do though.

Concurred on staying away from livwell seeds, I grew some out and well...thats what happened to all the mexican brick weed seeds:) The stuff did turn a nice golden color after the cure, but it really kind of sucked.

edit: I believe you can pick up reserva prevada seeds from the clinic.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Which strains from 14er did you like best?
Flower would be Magik, 'LOG', GG#4, Lucky Charms, Chem, Stardawg, hamentash . Seed, southern charm, tahoe crosses, Peak OG, a few others. Never been disappointed and the magik makes some serious live sift. Slightly above average yield but almost no terpene loss during storage or extract production, the full nose comes through and it is a very nice smoke. Man I sound like a shitty sommelier. A budtender I am not.

Underthesun

Underthesun

I went into 14er a month or so ago, rec side sold seeds as well. I'm thinking of getting my stock from them, at least one strain to check out. There is a seed menu on their website under the recreation tab. Lots to choose from. These are on my list I think, but always looking for advice. I grow in a greenhouse at 6k and have had mold issues with dense kush strains but willng to try again, just not super indica strains this time. I would think I would get at least one good sativa out of these, I'd only choose one Tahoe x chem.

Tahoe x Chemdog 91
Tahoe x Stardawg
Tahoe x Chemdog's Sister
GSC x Gorilla Glue #4

Looks like different seeds than mentioned above, new menu I guess.

Underthesun

Underthesun

I went to 14er the other day to pick up a few beans for this year. Picked up Tahoe OG x Chemdog's Sister, and Mamboe x Headband. The guy working there seemed to know his stuff, rare for a rec disp, and was a big help on choosing strains that fit my needs. He hadn't seen all the crosses grown out, but could tell you info on all the parents and what to likely expect. He actually told me not to buy a few of them, I like honesty.

xavier7995

xavier7995

One of my fave rec dispensaries, that was on the naughty list for pesticides, got to be my favorite for giving honest answers though. Why is that weed so cheap?...well they screwed up that room and were honest about it. Whats the "best" strain they have?....well that is entirely a personal choice, this is whats freshest, this is what tests highest, etc.

Underthesun

Underthesun

I wonder if the OP ever found what he was looking for. CO needs to have more seed banks with storefronts. I have always heard great things about Rare Dankness, a local CO company, but their seeds are nowhere to be found in CO. They are opening up a retail store to sell (not seeds) but product and maybe want to keep their genetics private? Hey, thats his right if he wants to, just seems weird to have to order from Europe when they are made just a few miles away.

Underthesun

Underthesun

About Rare Dankness. If anyone knows where to get their seeds in CO I'm all ears. Now that I think about it, he probably doesn't want too many other dispensaries growing his gear out if he is opening up a retail shop. Probably a smart move.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
About Rare Dankness. If anyone knows where to get their seeds in CO I'm all ears. Now that I think about it, he probably doesn't want too many other dispensaries growing his gear out if he is opening up a retail shop. Probably a smart move.
Dude check out river rock it's their partner they sell seeds but I think in 6 pace

Top Bottom