Advice/suggestions for set-up, please.

• Thread starter general_sketch
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
general_sketch

general_sketch

Ola amigos. I'm nearing that point many of us have come to when reading and thinking about it take a back seat to doing and learning. I've put a lot of thought into this and one thing in particular I'm having a little trouble deciding on is one I'm sure has been asked a million times around here -- soil or hydro?

At first I had myself thinking soil, no question, but now I'm giving real consideration to a hydro set-up. I think it'll be cheaper, for one, and then the other benefits that need no explaining from me to any of you.

Theoretically, the idea of homemade buckets & a res, a slate of 10-15 pots sitting under a 600w hps and either a couple hundred watts of CFL's or a 400w mh inside of a framed up room in the attic (!!!) sounds intriguing to me. The space isn't ideal but I'm aware at least of what's needed to make it work. But damn is it a lot of work.

Alright... so, what'dya think farmers?

Soil?

Hydro?

:rasta:

D

dooobster

I agree with ripz... Go with soil til you've got your bearings.. too much can go wrong with hydro. You could try Hempy style, uses hydro nutes but you treat it kinda like a soil grow... Works great too!

aldus

aldus

ebb&flow coco.

Use a proven formula on your nutes, keep track of everything, and check and recheck ph&tds. It isn't rocket science.

I am in the process of doing my first grow handwatering coco and am regretting I didn't go ebb&flow because of the automation. However space was a concern so I went with the hand watering as it was hard to find a tray that would work in my space, without wasting a lot of space.

mace

mace

hmmm, soil for your first time. cheaper to set up, harder to wreck.

K

kansasgrown

Go with soil and learn about the plants before going with hydro...soil is more forgiving. If you are going to do an attic grow make sure that your lights go on at night when your temps are lower.

D

DEKA

I say go with dydro man. Why not. You want to grow into your setup not out of it and buy a bunch of stuff again. Like the one dude earlier said "it's not rocket science".

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
i would say soil it always forgiving if u mess up remember on the nutes more is not better follow the charts

D

dank.frank

you know...if he knows nothing...and LEARNS hydro...then hydro is just as easy. If he knows nothing...and learns soil, then soil is just as easy. It is just a plant. You just have to meet it's needs. The only thing, hydro has a more costly start up cost.

If going hydro...get a good ph/TDS/EC meter...this is a MUST. If you can keep these things in check, it isn't that hard. LEARN to read what your plants are telling you...either too much water/not enough. Too much heat. Too much/not enough nutrients. Just gotta learn to read the plants and react accordingly.

They are right by saying soil is more forgiving. Meaning that fluctuations happen less rapidly in soil than in hydro. If going hydro, a whole crop can get ruined in a matter of hours when things aren't working. (depending on what kind of hydro system you are running) In soil, the problems may be there, but it takes a couple of days to really show. If you KNOW how to read the plants, you can curb these changes in soil before any real damage is done.

But in all reality, if you have the money, and yield is the quest, why not learn how to do hydro first. Just research it very throughly and understand all the little quirks of whatever type of system you will be using. They each have a bit of learning curve, so hydro is not just hydro...you gotta learn according to the system you will be using.

As far as a set-up idea...well, if you want to use that many buckets...why not try a simple ebb-n-flow system. Much easier to maintain than multiple buckets, and doesn't require as large of a reservoir....also, less plumbing means less leakage possibilities. It really is an effective system...just a bit old school and everybody is in to the "new"...so it gets over looked.

Another option is DWC in 5gal buckets. Very productive and simple. Gotta spend a bit more money on nutrients, due to swapping the solution frequently to keep ph in check, but it is simple. If you are trying to run multiple buckets on a single reservoir, then you are talking a much more complex system, and I would recommend you really consider the time and effort/cost of such a system before using it as your first attempt.

You know, you may not like hydro or the finished product. Be a bummer to spend the money and not care for the style of growing....

dank.Frank

general_sketch

general_sketch

Loving it

Love the input here. Thanks everyone.

As far as it goes, I've got a good background with plants from landscape experience, and by that I don't mean just planting a couple annuals. My hang up, as always the case for newbs, is specific cannabis knowledge. Like when and how much to feed, what other nutrients to provide that help bud production, managing problems like gnats or mites. Stuff you learn, of course. I only mention it to help give some sorta idea as to where I'm at, not a total greenhorn to the subject but light years from expert.

I've read a boatload about growing and fortunately, I can provide the room with some solid equipment which goes a long way. By now, I'm sure I can pull off a respectable grow even for my first time out. Seems like soil might be the more forgiving option out of the gates. But hydro is still really intriguing tho the higher initial cost does take a little off the shine off. Economically speaking, it seems like a better investment when the outcome is much more fixed. =)

In an ideal world, 600w hps w/10 plants soil or hydro - which one performs better & how? I know hydro growth comes much faster but particular to bud production and potency/quality/yield what are the differences we're talking? It's intriguing to see some people say dive into hydro while others advise caution. I wonder what it is that these two separately provide in contrast to the other to have such definitive sides.

Hope to hear more you guys, this is great.

:cool0041:

D

dank.frank

well, soil you are growing mostly for taste and flavor...you sacrifice some yield and time
with hydro, you are growing for speed, and weight...you sacrifice some flavor and taste

I would not say that one type produces more potent weed than another...just not been my experience. I am not saying that hydro tastes bad...as it can be quite wonderful...I am not saying you can not get great yields in soil...because you can; these are just the broad general understandings. Depending on the type of hydro system you use, you are talking 2-4x faster growth/bud production. HOWEVER....just because it is hydro...does not insure bigger/faster growth. You have to keep in mind that ALL functions of the plant are going to be acting faster...this means in order to TRULY benefit from hydro, you need a higher ppm feeding schedule to compensate the faster growth, should really consider Co2, and really should be increasing the wattage per sq. ft. Say no less than 75w per sq.ft. These things really allow the full advantage of hydroponics...it allows the plant to really flourish under the heightened growth rates that hydro can provide.

Soil, is all about environment as well. It is about temps, and proper potting sizes/vegging cycles...it is about making sure you are providing all the essential elements of a living organism...which is what soil is...a living thing in and of itself. If you keep your soil happy...the plant will be happy. Keep your microbes balanced...know when to feed what in according to what you plant is doing, or if going totally organic, know how to layer your soil according to the growth rate/timing of you cycles, so that the roots are hitting each specific nutrient "layer" at the perfect time.

Not to be too harsh or too generic, but I honestly think that hydroponics is more geared towards the commercial side of growing...yield...were soil is more in line with a personal head stash/medical side of growing. I personally think each method is drastically different...not so much in outcome, but rather in the hobby itself, and what efforts must be put forth to reach the final product...that is why some favor or prefer one over the other...they just enjoy different aspects or different tasks of the same hobby.

Honestly, don't be scared by hydro...buy the right equipment, and maintain everything accordingly...and you will be rewarded. But don't dismiss soil; it has it's own perks as well. You really just have to try things out and see what you enjoy the most task wise/finished product wise...and stick with it until you master it.

Or you could run a flip/flop on you ballast and have 2 separate rooms...one soil, one hydro...and enjoy the best of both worlds.

dank.Frank

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Hey GS- Just to give my own 2cents... I am pretty much total newbie (I grew one plant in soil about 6 years ago)... A friend talked me into hydro over soil and I am really glad he did. Definitely not rocket science, so far been going pretty well for me with no major problems, so with your previous plant experience I think should be a piece of cake. It seems to me that one of the big differences is that half the hydro experience is about the methods, and machines, and parts as much as about the plants. For me that is fun, but if a water pump sounds like too much to handle then go soil.

I also think once you get hydro running you can be pretty lazy about it if you want to be.

Anyway, talk to soil grower and i am sure they will tell you why soil is best, hydro grower likewise will tell you why hydro is best- either way we all agree end product from either method is great!! :)

Have fun!

JB

hubcap

hubcap

i'd go for soil if its your first grow i personally think it is harder to get dialled in than hydro but it will also give you a better understanding of the plants needs

youll get varied answers but this is the one id offer as well.
too much chit can go wrong in hydro, for a new farmer, in my very honest opinion.

go with soil. learn the plants. when you have a good working knowledge of the plant and what it needs to survive....(think 3 or 4 grows)....THEN move onto coco instead of hydro. youll get em just as big with a lil less worry. all in my humble opinion of course.

digest as you will.

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
I think this question, hydro or soil, is to weed farmers, what "what is the meaning of life?" to philosophers. I have given it a lot more thought and really think only way to know which is better for you is to try both!

Just curious how many farmers on here have tried both and if so what they ultimately went with?

If you do grow hydro and want to do most of it yourself take a look at these, you could just buy one of these brain buckets and then buy and drill the rest of the buckets yourself... I am really happy with the system I got, but if i was going to do it again i would probably get one of these... this is what i have (attached) another easy looking and system i saw was this one

Let us know how it all turns out!

JB :afroweed:

4 pod
general_sketch

general_sketch

Didn't mean to to dismiss the thread, I was away in Miami for a few days. The weather I miss. The trees not so much. ;)

Thanks for the continued input everyone.

G

grizz

use coco and grow like you would in soil, to me coco is the same as soil except you don't have to worry about over watering. ebb and flow in coco is damn easy to. with coco you just mix your nutes and water every day, check ph and add a little cal mag as needed, soil is much messyer and you really never know what to add or what not to add, pretty cut and dried with coco.

R

ringworm

ebb and flow in coco is damn easy to. with coco you just mix your nutes and water every day, check ph and add a little cal mag as needed.

that just about covers it. all i would add to this is get you some one part nutes grow \ bloom that are for coco. make you a rez(10gal) with a bubble wand and air pump. Do one run hand water drain to waste grow. you could run ten plants simple as shit that way. up to u bro but all the info in this place is a smart place to kick off.

DWC for ME is the best! i like to do low plant #'s and grow busy trees.:) thats just me. you will have more work and it can be tricky for a new grower. buckets are simple as pie when u know how to read your gals.

;) get some 2 gallon pots and fill them suckers with coco! thats my vote! Ringworm

X

xxYIKESxx

I myself started with hydro...which most people say requires a higher learning curve than soil but as with mostly everything, you'll learn through trial and error and your techniques and methods will improve over time with experience. My first grow I built a mini recirculating d.i.y DWC system using 2 gallon buckets under a single 150hps lamp and a few cfls. Some might say that's overkill and too advanced for a first timer but I found it easy and simple and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I suggest you start with DWC...it is soooo simple to setup and use.

BTW...how are you guys able to grow in an ebb/flow system using coco without the sediment clogging the pump and fittings?Assuming the plants are placed in individual containers lined with hydroton on the bottom...aren't there still coco sediment escaping out of the containers?

P

punkadc

...BTW...how are you guys able to grow in an ebb/flow system using coco without the sediment clogging the pump and fittings?Assuming the plants are placed in individual containers lined with hydroton on the bottom...aren't there still coco sediment escaping out of the containers?

i believe they make a "chunky" coco for this purpose that is made from the shell instead of the coir fibers...

Top Bottom