African Black Magic/ Ituri Norie

• Thread starter Kush Kloud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
grnmtn

grnmtn

I'm very concerned because even though these BAM are inside, outside there is an unimaginable infestation of aphids and rice root aphids that are blanketing the area I live in. They have attacked the roots of several outdoor plants I have even though I am using Stylet oil on them. Leaves have been protected but the roots are a different story.
Nothing more destructive to Cannabis than rice root aphids!

I am doing everything I can to keep them outside, so far so good.

IMG 20210622 150953292

Phenohunter420

Phenohunter420

I'm very concerned because even though these BAM are inside, outside there is an unimaginable infestation of aphids and rice root aphids that are blanketing the area I live in. They have attacked the roots of several outdoor plants I have even though I am using Stylet oil on them. Leaves have been protected but the roots are a different story.
Nothing more destructive to Cannabis than rice root aphids!

I am doing everything I can to keep them outside, so far so good.

View attachment 1138594
I've never dealt with rice root aphids but I would maybe try neem seed meal. I haven't used it but heard it's great for soil bugs. Beneficial nematodes is preferred to insecticides though. Diatomaceous earth is very good too. Hope this helps. Good luck and happy growing!

ArizonaChuck

ArizonaChuck

Update. Week 1 of flowering. Fortunately, of the 4 plants, 2 were male, as the last picture shows him in all his glory, pulled him out of tent when i noticed. I am still struggling with my other female as i tried a different soil, and been regretting it, may have to try and transplant, but think that would do more harm than good as im not sure how well the roots are established. May try and clone. The picture of the 2, left is the female African Magic, the right is Pure Kush x sour tsunami. They are all about 38-40in tall, which means im going to have to put them in my bigger tent cause they are going to outgrow their current one in about another couple weeks tops.

20210626 213719
20210626 214008
20210626 214208
ArizonaChuck

ArizonaChuck

Any tips on what the African likes or doesn't like? Temps, humidity, food, etc?
Im still really new to all this growing stuff, so i havent got into humidifiers and such, but my temp/humidity ranges from 73°-84° and humidity 43%-55%, depends on time of day. All i use for feeding is magic cal, and floranova. I topped it once as i didnt know what i was doing, other than that just light trimming.

grnmtn

grnmtn

I normally do not grow inside during the few summer months we get here as I cool my room with outside air, so when it's 90 degrees outside it's the same temp inside.

I was so eager to see if these were the real deal so I took a chance and am doing a test run of these before doing a larger amount in early fall.

I looked up the climate where this strain supposedly originates and it has an average temp in the upper 80s and an average humidity to match so I imagined these would do just fine in hot weather unlike most hybrids.

Well after three days hovering around 90 degrees the plants started showing the classic signs of heat stress being a little droopy, some dried up leaf tips and just a smidgen around one leaf edge. Growth rate seems fine as they are on their 8th set after one month from seed? I also had my light turned down a bit on the hot days to lessen stress.

The plants look to me to be some sort of hybrid, certainly not a landrace strain and it doesn't look to be a true indica or sativa but what do I know? However, out of 6 plants 3 are growing taller and 3 shorter, could be male/ female differences and it appears to be a very stable strain so far.

Since I have no reference about the true strains growth patterns or any grow info I still cannot say whether it's real or not? It's just not what I personally imagined it to be like.

The weather has cooled and they seem to have recovered just fine. To be continued....

grnmtn

grnmtn

That's good to know, how about these not caring for a hot and humid climate? Is that also common in these strains? I never grew any Africans so I have no experience with these.

ArizonaChuck

ArizonaChuck

So almost a month into flower, shes growing strong and almost out grown the tent, going ro have to apply a net to hopefully bring those 2 colas down to match rest of the plant. Has only shown signs of light stress as its about 8 inches from the light. Other than that, the around 90degree with mid 40 humidity thats in the tent doesnt seem to affect it in the slightest. Lots of bud sites for sure, hopefully in a couple weeks they will still have some seeds left as its definitely something that ill start growing more of since no one else seems to have it. Will update again on my progress in a week or so, but so far, has been going remarkably well even for a beginner grower such as myself.

20210709 190435
20210709 190526
extractoilminussixty

extractoilminussixty

I just saw some of the African Black Magic seeds for sale stateside in Arizona. $25 each Might be nice to have a unique color mixed in the grow
Interesting … thought I’d never here these words again Black African, but I didn’t here the 3rd word “Magic”.
It started in 1979-80 time frame @ a party while visiting friends at
Northern Illinois university. I was sitting at a table & a guy I recognized started rolling a jay, I recognized him because he went to southern Illinois university in Carbondale Illinois, where I was going to college at the time, “ small world” !
His jay (herb) was Black African ???
He told me it was grown in
Macanda Illinois. Macanda is a forested hilly valley area with rich dark loamy soil, streams, high temperature 85-95f & high choking humidity. Very common in that area.
I moved to Makanda from Carbondale in 1983, 3 yrs after smoking that Black African jay & lived there for 6 months (moved back to Carbondale because it was to far out)…
The Black African strain re-emerged once again to my amazement 😎
A local professor was growing it in a large hillside garden along with about every vegetable known
to mankind !
I lived one house down from him.
The soil, temp, humidity were all as I mentioned above. Rich dark loamy natural soil ( AND the only thing I can think of that was different was a modest amount of Red clay, Red clay was spotty, but common in that area ). I also remember the smell of cow manure around his garden as well, so I can only assume that was one of his big Fertilizer’s but I’m not certain.
…So as hard to believe this story is, I was just as shocked to see this thread???
(So, I hope the soil temp clay humidity parameters listed above) help those that are currently growing possibly a similar or same strain?

((And yes the Black African jay I smoked @ the party over 300 miles away from Makanda was very very potent, keeping in mind the strongest strains I had experienced were Colombian gold and red, Red Vietnamese, & maui Wowie,
with Mexican & simple brown Columbian as the daily standards.
I’m Mike & that’s my story…🎶

extractoilminussixty

extractoilminussixty

Almost 40 days since they sprouted.

All 6 plants in 5gl pots

4 topped

1 LST

1 untouched

Will start flowering cycle today

View attachment 1144657
Please keep the pics up as they develop.
I may try to find some African strains,
a Phoenix co claims to have Black African. $25/seed

Never heard of them & can’t find any reviews??? Beware 🤐

(some reviews people had on the strain
on The Grow House, a Canadian company)
  1. Ron G. (verified owner) – October 4, 2020
    This is one of the best smoking strains out there. Very nice taste, very mild and a really decent bud. A bit pricey at $15/gm but at $10 /gm its a good deal.
  2. c destiny

cait d (verified owner) –September 28, 2020
    Taste: intoxicating pungent pine n pepper taste
    High: head and body effects, really nice a lot more cerebral.
    Smoke: ideal for daytime usage.
    Quality: Glorious nugs with abundant crystals. Buds are so purple-blue they almost appear black,moist nug’s very fresh.

ArizonaChuck

ArizonaChuck

Please keep the pics up as they develop.
I may try to find some African strains,
a Phoenix co claims to have Black African. $25/seed
View attachment 1145048
Never heard of them & can’t find any reviews??? Beware 🤐

(some reviews people had on the strain
on The Grow House, a Canadian company)
  1. Ron G. (verified owner) – October 4, 2020
    This is one of the best smoking strains out there. Very nice taste, very mild and a really decent bud. A bit pricey at $15/gm but at $10 /gm its a good deal.
  2. c destiny

cait d (verified owner) –September 28, 2020
    Taste: intoxicating pungent pine n pepper taste
    High: head and body effects, really nice a lot more cerebral.
    Smoke: ideal for daytime usage.
    Quality: Glorious nugs with abundant crystals. Buds are so purple-blue they almost appear black,moist nug’s very fresh.
Not sure where you were looking at for reviews but Marijuana Seed Connect has a lot of google reviews, including one of my own, i get all my seeds from them, including my Black African Magics that i have been growing. I Just hope they will still have the seeds when i go back to get more once my current plant gets into late flower

Latest posts

Top Bottom