after curing weed smells like hay?

• Thread starter captainkip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dextr0

dextr0

When its in the open room u have to let the humidity be the humidity, unless u are going to do something about that. Thats a whole nother thing. But u wait for you bud to hit a rh of 60. Do this by testing when u feel more or less it needs to be jarred. When the outside feels crispy but the stem cracks very little.
This is when I start testing to see where my humidity is. That means im putting buds in a jar with a hygrometer and testing humidity.

hiboy

hiboy

Thanks for the info Dex
Gona have to pick up a meter. Do you just put the meter in the jar and seal it up for a bit to get an accurate reading?

Y

Yodas Master

This thread is about why the weed smells like hay... IMO its because of the drying stages considering youve let your plant finish.... If temps are too hot or humidity too low then youve lost the battle already...Curing is beneficial but for growers putting the product on the market then a slow drying process will help eliminate the green smell and tastes great..Would curing help some yeah probably but who has time to wait...Curing is for private stashes and connosuiers ..Less than 15% of the meds in dispensaries are dryed and cured correctly..IMO if your product smells like hay then good luck getting rid of it..When u squeeze a bud thats the smell it should smell like before you start curing the product...Otherwise curing grassy smelling pot will produce grassy smelling pot or a pot with hardly any smell at all.

dextr0

dextr0

Kind of. U seal it up inside with bud. After a couple hours if its holding steady, leave for up to 24hrs. If it has held at 60 for 24hrs, u can now leave sealed. Open once a week make sure things are fine until ready to smoke/sell.

dextr0

dextr0

This thread is about why the weed smells like hay... IMO its because of the drying stages.. If temps are too hot or humidity too low then youve lost the battle already...Curing is beneficial but for growers putting the product on the market then a slow drying process will help eliminate the green smell...Curing is for private stashes and connosuiers..Less than 15% of the meds in dispensaries are dryed and cured correctly..IMO if your product smells like hay then good luck getting rid of it...You fucked up in the drying phase which cant be repeated..

Thank you for sharing your opinions.

You are very right about this thread being about why weed smells like hay. I just outlined a fool-proof way to not keep the hay smell. If you really want to know what the hay smell is, its actually a response to being cut that plants have (Green Leaf Volatiles; think cutting the grass).
The object is to slow-dry without over doing it and stopping the cure process.<<<In which case yes you will forever have that hay smell.

Most plants will have this response, and there is nothing wrong with your weed if you do. Curing is the answer. The hay smell will go away as long as u give it time and u have not let overdry or dry to fast. When plants get in 60 rh zone and are bagged or sealed smell starts coming back. Now the longer u cure the more the good smells come in. Its a two step process.

Y

Yodas Master

I disagree... If your buds are dry they should smell dank.. NOT green or like hay... Having chopped over 400 plants there are too reasons for your product to smell like hay...1) you didnt let your plant finish...Allow them to go 14 days longer next run.. 2) Improper drying... Did your buds smell like hay when they were growing...no....In no way does this relate to cutting the grass... Allow your plants to finish and dry in cool environment...No grass smell... Every plant i chop smells dank..When dry smells dank...When cured smells dank..Tell you what ask him how it smells in a month...Bet it still smells floral and not dank..You cant tell me that you can go from hay to smelling like kush...Its impossible...Genetics are the main factor... Curing is a process that allows the aroma to thicken up and manifest in its own aromas...

Y

Yodas Master

Hmm.. If your growing Greenhouse Seeds or some inferior genetics, then you might not be able to get any smell at all. How are your genetics?

My gear st8 off the vine will be chem funk, kerosin fuel, or pineapple skunk piss, whatev. I used to think that all herb needed a "cure" to get that chem, skunk, sweet, or hashy smells and tastes. Not so.. Granted it helps a lot and helps the breakdown process.. But it all comes down to genetics, imvho..

I would def. flush for 2 weeks prior to harvests.. Allow for a slow and long dry with all the leaves on the plant, if ya want, you can cut the large fan leaves only. I allow for a min of 14 days to about 21 days for drying. I do not remove anything from the plant during this time. Once stems crack, I jar up and ready. Burp as will..

I had to make a separate small drying room to achieve optimum conditions in my environment. We go thru all this trouble with expensive nutes, lights, fans, bloom & veg boosters, etc., to have an amazing final product, why skimp on the drying room.. .02

+1 from the master

dextr0

dextr0

You cant tell me that you can go from hay to smelling like kush...Its impossible...Genetics are the main factor... Curing is a process that allows the aroma to thicken up and manifest in its own aromas...

Ive just told u and shown examples of people who had the same problems in the cannabis world.

Did u look at the link?
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=156237

You can cut when u want. I cut when my trics are cloudy. That is a little early to some. But i like an uplifting high. The plant will smell like hay sometimes after it has dried a couple days. After fully drying and leaving in a jar smells like the buds when they were growing. What happened?

dextr0

dextr0

Curing takes place after cannabis has been harvested, manicured and partially dried. Most cannabis will retain a significant quantity of moisture within its stems and inner buds even when the outside feels dry. This is especially true for very dense buds, more care must be taken in drying loose airy buds because sometimes they can dry too fast.

Should a sample of bud become over-dried before proper curing is complete, many different techniques may be used to slightly re-hydrate the bud and continue curing as normal. Fresh buds, orange or lemon peels, lettuce, apple or many other fresh fruits and vegetables can be added to a sealed jar of pot to allow more moisture to diffuse into it. Plain water either sprayed directly on or applied via towel to the buds is also a good way to re-moisten them.

Be very careful when re-moisturizing buds though, because sometimes the re-moisturizing material can carry pathogenic fungi and bacteria, Which if not monitored carefully, can destroy your crop. Venting, checking, turning, and even re-moistening of buds is necessary so that the proper moisture content to promote curing is present, slow even drying is the optimum process for curing cannabis.

The preferred container for curing and storage of cannabis buds is an all glass jar, with a large opening for easy access. Wide-mouth canning jars with glass bodies and tops with a rubber seal are an ideal choice. Less preferred are small-mouth canning jars with metal or plastic lids. Generally try to avoid all plastics in direct or close contact with your cannabis. Generally these materials are slightly porous and the phenolic acids and terpenoids can react with plastics, but not with glass.

Initially drying can be preformed free hanging or enclosed in cardboard boxes or paper bags, both of which will act as a desiccant.

There are several process and effects which take place during curing that can rationally and scientifically explain the increase in potency and improvement of the smoke in cured material:

Moisture Content

Moisture is essential for the curing process, it is both your friend and enemy. If too much moisture is left in the buds, with out the regular mixing, venting and turning of buds involved with curing, molds and bacteria can quickly form and ruin the taste and potency of your stash. On the other hand, without the necessary moisture metabolic processes essential to curing do not take place.

Fresh cannabis plants are around 80% water (all %’s by weight); curing generally begins after the cannabis has lost half of it’s initial mass, and contains approximately 33% of it’s initial water.

Once curing is complete and the pot is “dry”, it should still contain 10-15% moisture, approximately 2-4% of its’ initial water. This is an ideal because most bacteria and molds can not grow below 15% water content, and below 10% cannabis buds tend to powder.

Cannabinoid Conversion

Naturally, as the metabolic processes continue during curing, the conversion of cannabergerol to tetrahydrocannabinol will continue and the potency of the pot will increase. This is because cannabergerol (CBG) is the non-psychoactive precursor for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Of course, the exact change in THC content will necessarily be dependant upon the concentration of CBG in the fresh material at harvest. Of course any remaining precursors necessary to form additional cannabidiol (CBD) and other cannabinoids will also be consumed and converted.

Be aware though if curing is excessively prolonged (most connoisseurs would agree after 6 months no more benefit could be had from curing), the conversion of THC to non-psychoactive cannabinol (CBN) will occur. The exact rate of decomposition can vary widely depending on handling and storage conditions, but can be less than 10% to greater than 40% decomposition per year.

Storage tips:

Potency during curing and storage can be maintained by observing some basic precautions:

The buds need to be kept in the dark, protected from light, which will quickly decompose the THC.

Moderated temperatures should be observed during curing, 50-75F being ideal.

Excessively hot temperatures will promote oxidation and the growth of mold and bacteria, and very cold temperatures can prolong curing and drying for up to several months.

During storage, buds should be stored as cold as possible, if temperatures of 0C or less are to be used, make sure the bud is dried to a very low moisture content before storage (to insure that cell walls are not burst by the freezing water).
Also, if prolonged storage is planned evacuating the oxygen and replacing it with carbon dioxide, nitrogen, argon, nitrous oxide, or any other inert gas will help slow oxidation, as well as the addition of antioxidants such as ascorbic acid packets or vitamin C tablets.

The most stable way to store cannabis is as whole unbroken buds or unpressed trichomes. Excessive rough handling or pressing can easily damage the protective cell walls and plant waxes that help protect cannabinoids from oxidation.

Continued Metabolism

Also as these metabolic process take place, the plant needs energy which leads it to consume the sugars, starches, nitrates, and minerals. Many of these compounds are metabolized and released as water and carbon dioxide, therefore removing what is essentially inert material from the pot increasing the concentration of cannabinoids therefore making it more potent.

Much of these positive metabolic processes can be most effectively begun with thourough flushing and stripping of the plant before harvest. This will help reduce the amount of time necessary for a good cure.

Curing will not only improve potency, but the color and look of most cannabis buds because as the chlorophyll is broken down purple, gold, and white coloration can emerge and the trichomes will appear more pronounced.

Decarboxylation

Some decarboxylization will take place during curing as well. This happens when the carboxyl group (COOH) located at C-2, C-4, or the end of the hydrocarbon chain at C-3 is destroyed leaving a hydrogen attached and liberating CO2.

Decarboxylization is necessary to convert cannabinoids to usable psychoactive forms; the plants (and your body) carboxylize cannabinoids to make them more soluble in water (for metabolic reactions and excretion).

Research indicates that this effect is fairly minimal during the curing process though. Decarboxylization will take place naturally very rapidly at temperatures of over 100C. So smoking and most any cooking will decarboxylize the cannabinoids. As decarboxylization occurs, the loss of CO2 will liberate a small amount of inert material making the pot more potent via concentration of the cannabinoids.

Taste & Odor

Terpenoids are the highly volatile compounds that give marijuana much of its’ characteristic odors, and therefore tastes.

The most current research also suggests terpenoids lend to the high, sometimes very significantly. Cannabinoids are phenolated terepenes so it’s not surprising that many hundreds of different terpenoids are synthesized as well.

As pot ages, some of the terpenoids go through polycyclic aromatization in the process of decomposition. This agglomeration of terpenoids will change the flavor; hence the ability of cured pot to show flavors that didn’t seem present in the original fresh material. Much of the very volatile terpenoids will also evaporate and or decompose, especially with prolonged curing or storage. This action will remove some matter from the pot increasing the cannabinoid concentration and therefore potency.

It must be noted that excessively long curing or storage, higher temperatures, or extremely low moisture content will cause such through evaporation of the terpenoids that the cannabis will generally loose almost all of it’s natural flavors.

420Gator

420Gator

if it smells good while its growing itll smell good when its dry

how good depends on how long it took to dry

lazarus718

lazarus718

I just want to drop the bomb that not all "good" bud has to smell dank...nowadays if you want it to sell fast, yes, dank is better. But I'm sure if you talk to some of the older guys out there you'll find that there traditionally was some fire bud in the olden days that wasn't all kushy and skunky, it smelled more like hay and fresh cut grass. What you see mainstream now is the big smells and fancy colors, but a lot of the originals that did knock you on your ass were some of the best stuff ever and it had nothing to do with the cure, the smell was just not as desirable of a trait then.

dextr0

dextr0

if it smells good while its growing itll smell good when its dry

how good depends on how long it took to dry
Not if they dried to fast or with to much heat. There is still a process going on inside buds when we cut. Takes time.
Have any of u looked into essential oils? I ask because they are very fragile and are susceptible, and must be handled as such when extracting. High or low temps, water, etc have affect on them. If you exhaust the terpenes then u get nothing but hay or plant smell. Like i said there are muncho ways to lose these fuckers. I posted how not to.

Y

Yodas Master

Ive just told u and shown examples of people who had the same problems in the cannabis world.

Did u look at the link?
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=156237

You can cut when u want. I cut when my trics are cloudy. That is a little early to some. But i like an uplifting high. The plant will smell like hay sometimes after it has dried a couple days. After fully drying and leaving in a jar smells like the buds when they were growing. What happened?

I need no link to know what im talking about...this thread is for dry weed that smells like hay...You say yours smells like hay when you chop...TWO DIFFERENT THINGS BRO...If your weed is dry and still smells like hay your fucked...No amount of cure can help...See the difference...Your weed didnt cure in the jar...ITS DRYING THE REST OF THE WAY..Curing takes places after drying correct?So how can you be curing and losing water weight still??Simple you didnt..You dryed your pot the rest of the way...Get my drift.. Had you simply left the plant hanging for 14-21 days you would have gotten a better drying process therefore killing the smell of green... If your weed is still wet when you put it in the jar then it will stop smelling green when it is throughly dried my friend...The true curing happens once its fully dried and marinading in its own natural aromas...:anim_09: NO disrespect meant your way either just a difference of views i believe.. No harm no foul

Y

Yodas Master

As a matter of fact i feel that what you are doing is a controlled drying...Even though the day i put mine in a jar it smells dank...If you still smell green then you are slowing releasing the rest of the water in a controlled environment(the jar)..Had you been able to control humidity and temp in your drying room what is the difference???

dextr0

dextr0

Curing takes place after cannabis has been harvested, manicured and partially dried.

I agree with you that if you dry too much you will get a hay smell.
If you dry to quick with whatever kind of heat (light, hot enviroment, etc.) you lose aromatic terpenes.

Weed from mexico good example. Heat kills your smells. You can have a good product high thc but if you dry to fast and let heat, light...whatever affect those terpenes there gone. No taste to be heard of. Water cure does the same thing. Why? Water destroys these terpenes.

Ive never smelled a nasty smelling cannabis plant that was alive and well. The terpenes are there, how u handle them is another story.

dextr0

dextr0

Yoda, lets look at it another way.

Say she smells good while growing. U wait until u see amber trics, then cut and it smells good. But after a few days of drying in a dark cool place she starts smelling like hay. The more I dry the more she losses the candy smell and the hay takes over. What is the problem then. Where did that smell come from and why do I still smell underlying hints of the candy if i squeeze?

Just to be clear this was my problem when I started curing. Until I learned that rh is important to curing.

On first thought u would either think i had high temps and overdried. That caused hay smell. U killed your terps with heat.
Second thought would be if not u still need to dry out more. To much moisture, maybe mold.
Both would be wrong in my case. The thing is you have a happy medium in-between that you seek. The Rh of 60...and Time.
Preservation of terpenes is essential to the process, yes. But dont forget that the Cure also has a cycle where things are changing within the trichrome. Not only that the bud also. Mixtures are being made. U ever ware cologne? What happens if you mix two together? Might smell good right, might enhance one another. But here we have 100s of aromatics coming together.
If it was cut premature, it has some extra curing to do. Depending on what kind of high u want.
The bottom line is your buds dont kill over as soon as u chop. Lots of reactions are still happening. If u let them happen in the right environment then you will get the pleasure of having a whatever kind of sweet smoke your looking for, because u ensured that the terpenes were intact once the plant cycled through its stages.

I told u before about Green Leaf Volatiles /or Volatile organic compounds, and that they are a response to cutting. Once these are out of the way, and you've preserved your good terpenes by taking care of environment the good smells come back...with Time. IF u took care of them terpenes.

dextr0

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
will have to remember to try this next time.

i have a love/hate relationship with mason jars myself. although this has more to do with home canning casualties than anything. last year i lost half my organic peaches to breakage in the fucking pressure cooker (you know, AFTER i did all the work. might as well have let them rot for all the fun it was.)
:confused0054:That is FUCKED. Well and truly fucked. But... you're also giving me hope--you're in BC and you can grow peaches? I'm in the Sierra Nevada (just north of 38*N) and I thought I couldn't grow peaches. I love peaches!
i'm a 'hang to dry with the leaves on' as well (we seem to be a dying breed) (right up to and including my man, who trims wet like everyone else i know), but i go straight into zipzags (<- they're like expen$ive ziplocs that are actually smell-proof) with repeated breathings and burpings.
Try the paper bags with one plant or one portion of harvest. What I love about doing this method is that I can take my time getting the trimming done (I'm not kidding about taking my time, either), of course no fucking Mason jars, and it allows much, much easier bulk storage. If I insisted on using Mason jars I would have to have hundreds, if not thousands, on hand. That's a pain and a waste, I want those jars filled with food that can't be stored well otherwise.

The Peach Incident had to suck ass.

EDIT: It is interesting Sea says her strain smelled better after long cure. If she leaves in bag for a long while i have to believe the rh is lower than 55.
Smells and TASTES better, smokes beautifully.

However, I think it's *very* important to take note of the conditions in which my bud is dried, cured and stored, which happens mostly in my basement unless I need/can move slow-drying plants upstairs into the house. Much more easily said than done with the OD girls because I don't break them down at all, they remain full height, and they always seem to hit 10' despite my efforts to keep them shorter.

I can't remember if I mentioned how I store after drying and curing is finished, but since we've purchased a vacuum sealer I'm experimenting with storing my bud vacuum sealed once it's hit my preferred RH. Usually, though, the paper bags go into plastic bins, all remain in the basement where it's cool and not too dry most of the year.
I just want to drop the bomb that not all "good" bud has to smell dank...nowadays if you want it to sell fast, yes, dank is better. But I'm sure if you talk to some of the older guys out there you'll find that there traditionally was some fire bud in the olden days that wasn't all kushy and skunky, it smelled more like hay and fresh cut grass. What you see mainstream now is the big smells and fancy colors, but a lot of the originals that did knock you on your ass were some of the best stuff ever and it had nothing to do with the cure, the smell was just not as desirable of a trait then.
On one hand, I'm there with the old guys (I think I'm one of them, but I'm not sure yet). But on the other hand you have *got* to remind them of the overall quality of that bud. A lot of it would now be considered trash, and the smoke could be extremely harsh with an awful flavor. Maybe we're spoiled now, but I like it that way. I like having flavor and smell come through and being able to enjoy buds the way I do very good coffees (we roast our own) and wines.

On the occasions where I do bring plants inside to dry, I will bring in humidifiers if RH is too low (and during winter, heating the house with fire, it can get pretty low) and then turn them off and on according to the RH in the room. Otherwise everything happens in the basement, where it can be locked up securely.

lazarus718

lazarus718

On one hand, I'm there with the old guys (I think I'm one of them, but I'm not sure yet). But on the other hand you have *got* to remind them of the overall quality of that bud. A lot of it would now be considered trash, and the smoke could be extremely harsh with an awful flavor. Maybe we're spoiled now, but I like it that way. I like having flavor and smell come through and being able to enjoy buds the way I do very good coffees (we roast our own) and wines.

With you on that, variety is the spice of life. Just wanted to bring up the point that some strains no matter how well you cure and dry them just aren't going to smell as good as others. A nice long, slow cure will bring out the best of your buds in any case.

G

green stub

You tube Jason Wilcox out of Canada, he knows the proper way to cure. That way you get the best taste out of your medicine.

R

Reefer Franklin

Curing takes place after cannabis has been harvested, manicured and partially dried.

I agree with you that if you dry too much you will get a hay smell.
If you dry to quick with whatever kind of heat (light, hot enviroment, etc.) you lose aromatic terpenes.

Weed from mexico good example. Heat kills your smells. You can have a good product high thc but if you dry to fast and let heat, light...whatever affect those terpenes there gone. No taste to be heard of. Water cure does the same thing. Why? Water destroys these terpenes.

Ive never smelled a nasty smelling cannabis plant that was alive and well. The terpenes are there, how u handle them is another story.

Dextro,

I'd go one further and say that curing happens as foreplay to drying the plants. What we are doing after the buds are adequately dry is maturing or conditioning them. But most growers if asked would say that curing comes after drying.

Ed Rosenthal, who isn't a shabby grower himself says:

"Curing is the process after harvest but before drying., during which many of the cell's metabolic processes continue for a while. Buds continue to cure when they are kept at about 60 - 70 degrees F with humidity of 50%. The cells retain moisture and convert complex carbohydrates back to simple sugars and break down some pigments including chlorophyll."

The plant is still alive for up to 72 hours and other pigments that appear during this cure give the bud its attractive color. If you start the cure at a higher temperature you risk missing this breakdown.

I agree with your take on water curing. I won't use water for making my first run of hash. It robs it of the varietal character and flavor. It's only when I can't sift or tumble no more does it see H2O.

The Reef

Latest posts

Top Bottom