after topping off (super cropping) wait month to flower?

• Thread starter Drizzle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Drizzle

Drizzle

I know after pruning a plant during veg you should wait a month to flower...does that include topping off a plant?

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Don't know where you heard that.

I'd be really interested to see what the masters say here as a rule-of-thumb minimum wait after topping, but I'm guessing more like a week or two, depending on how fast/slow the strain is in veg.

Dunge

Dunge

I know after pruning a plant during veg you should wait a month to flower...does that include topping off a plant?
I trim as needed and my plans don't complain.
This is not to say that I have it figured out, but I'm trying.

Bannacis

Bannacis

after topping and super cropping a couple weeks should be plenty before flowering. that will give her plenty of time to recover,
cause you want her to be in best of health when starting flowering, but on the other hand light pruning and training is ok at least two weeks into flower.

catdaddy

catdaddy

Don't know where you heard that.

I'd be really interested to see what the masters say here as a rule-of-thumb minimum wait after topping, but I'm guessing more like a week or two, depending on how fast/slow the strain is in veg.
that's what they recommend in the grow books.

T

tedsprogz

also you would want to wait long enough to see the benefits from the topping. no point topping then flowering before seeing the other tops grow IMO

Cort

Cort

Also depends on grow rate. 10 days of 1k HPS veg time in UC is way different than 10 days under t5 in soil.

Moral of the story: Each situation is different. There is no set recipe for success and it takes a bit of art to know when its time to top, where to top, decide when its time to flower, when to hit them with a booster or cut out product x. Everything you have read is a guideline.

My suggestion: Start a detailed grow log, with photos. More experienced folks will be more able to give better help guiding you and you will have a permanent reference to look at what you did right, and how you fixed what went wrong.

ArtofHydro

ArtofHydro

personally, I wait 2-3 weeks after i top my plants, then put into flowering. The reason I wait is because when I top my plants, i train the lower branches to reach the same height as the top branches, making a nice canopy. but there has been time were i topped days before flowering and sometimes i had to top in the first 2 weeks of flowering (not recommended, had height issues.... fucking OG)

On another note, in my opinion, after one tops/super crops their plant, use a mychorrhizae in your feeding regiment. Mychorrhizae is a beneficial bacteria that colonizes the root zone and creates a symbiotic relationship with the roots. By doing this, it eliminates most, if not all, shock. There are plenty of companies that make a mychorrihizae solution these days. My favorites are Oregonism XL - Roots Organics, Great White, and Mykos - Xtreme Gardening. (when i use Mykos, i also use Azos, another product from Xtreme Gardening)

These products are awesome (just use one) and I highly suggest to use these when your plant may suffer any shock from topping, pruning, and transplanting.

hope i helped a bit

T

tedsprogz

Mychorrhizae is NOT a bacteria...its the name given to the association between different fungi and the roots of a plant.
The roots exude carbohydrates for the fungi to eat and the fungi process the minerals and aid the roots in the absorption of those minerals.
What you give your plants to create this symbiotic relationship are the fungi spores, & a carbohydrate source, not Mychorrhizae.
Also, it isn't a stress combatant, its best when the plant has it from the beginning and keeps it throughout its entire life.

rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

gotta love the guys who get a hard on for correcting people. keep up the "good" work.

Hey man, sometimes Its easier to say thanks i didn't know that. Teds right on with the facts there. If you're looking for beneficial bacterias id suggest making an AACT

T

tedsprogz

Yes with AACT the colonies are bred in hours instead of days. Just simply adding it to your feed isnt going to have as much of an effect, and close to none when foliar fed.

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

i think a month is ridiculous. most of my strains start growing again just a couple days after topping, super cropping, defoliating, or pruning. a week should really be plenty unless you have some real weak or unhealthy plants.

waayne

waayne

Hey guys the OP was asking about topping his plants:)

If your plants are healthy and thriving topping them should not stress them much if any......
A week or two of veg after topping for hybrids is usually sufficient,some Indica dominants like Bubba will need a little more veg time as they veg slow and don't stretch much in flower
Most Sativa's can be topped and put directly into flower
There is no set time frame that is right or wrong.
It really depends on the individual strain and how big you want your plants.......

ArtofHydro if you want to get maximum bang for your $$ you might want to try Beneficial Biologics Root Bloom or CAP's bennies
They both have a higher spore count than OregonismXL or Great White and provide more bang for your buck

I am using AZOS now but the jury is still out on it's effectiveness in my garden......

Top Bottom