Agh, cheap fan controller buzzs - how LOUD is your fans in your grow tent?

• Thread starter Kampbe1l
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
az2000

az2000

Active Air and all those cheap fans are shit. They work but they go out and def aren't the cfm they are rated for and are noisey.. Stick with people like Can, Eclipse and Vortex. Tried and true workhorses for a reason.

I just googled Vortex Powerfans VTX600. It costs $175 USD on Amazon (free shipping, plus another $20 for the speed controller). The first result is an Amazon review saying "This fan is supposed to be speed controllable but it hums really loud if you turn the speed down." (Emphasis in original).

The Active Air fan I bought at least 6 years ago costs (today) $91 USD shipped. The Variac is $80 (a little less for the one I think could be lower quality, which the OP is looking at). That saves $20 compared to the non-shit Vortex. And, it's lasted 6 years so far. When it fails, I just have to spend $91 instead of twice as much (for the non-shit that buzzes too)?

I'm just screwing around a little. :) But, as far as I can tell, I don't think this is as black/white as depicted.

My concern about gambling on the new fans is that the advertisements tend to not fully describe this aspect. I feel the same way about extraction fans as I do about LED grow-light fixtures. ("Prepare to be fleeced."). I was pretty frustrated when I bought *two* different dimmer-like speed controls, and increasingly learned that that was a *common* problem. You'd never have learned that from *any* advertisement for fans or "controllers."

I'm gun-shy of that market. I just bought a new 4" ActiveAir (green, old-style) fan for my small tent. I had used a cheap inline "booster" fan from Home Depot. But, I have a temperature controller (I made. Maybe I'll put the instructions in a PDF and post it.). I can dial the fan down to minimum flow (via the variac). Or, bypass the variac and feed the fan full voltage if the temperature inside the tent exceeds a configurable temperature. It switches back and forth that way from idle (maintenance flow) to full speed if needed. I want to do that with my small/short tent. The duct fan I've always used wouldn't do that well. It doesn't have the range of volume.

Anyway, when I ordered the 4", I considered one of the newer fans with the integrated controller. But, my past experience with this market caused me to go the legacy route; what I know works. I'm like that with a lot of things cannabis-related. I don't trust much at all. (But, I do acknowledge -6 years has elapsed since I last explored this topic. Maybe things have changes for the better. I'm not trying to evangelize my way. Just explaining why I lean this way.).

Last edited:
Migrower

Migrower

guess what happened - just after i last posted.......returning the fan under warranty...

anyone runs Phresh 150 mm exhaust fans? or Can Max Pro? let's look at those variacs....
A/C infinity and it’s quiet. I got the six inch cheaper model (not the one with the control panel) it is awesome and moves some air for sure.

Migrower

Migrower

A/C infinity and it’s quiet. I got the six inch cheaper model (not the one with the control panel) it is awesome and moves some air for sure.
It’s hooked up to a six inch x eighteen inch phresh filter and it really moves air well. No smell at all. Definitely would purchase again

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
IMG 1689

IMG 1690

IMG 1691

Notice how they are all Vortex with a lot of use on them. That is for a reason. You don't see any Active Air greens cause the 2 8in I bought to run on carbon filters a year and a half to 2 years ago both of them went out. Bearing started to lock up and they started to whine like a dying cat. These fans I used before I even moved here for around 2 years. I'm gonna go by what I've seen over the years. Cheap fans are loud. Cheap fans fail. If I'm using them for something like my drying room I don't really care. If they are where lights are at saving 75 to 90 bucks on a fan isn't worth losing a crop or cooking the tops.

I've used about every fan under the sun cheap and expensive. I pay the coin for these cause they last. Like I said above I'm using a cheap ass Vivosun amazon special 6in in my drying room. Has a controller built into the line. It's pretty quiet. It replaced the 3 year old active air green 6in that shit the bed. I still wouldnt suggest that fan cause no idea how it's going to be running 24/7 in 8 months. See the trend. Active Air greens are all in the garbage from failures. Sunleaves plastic blue fans were prob the best "cheap" fans I used over the years but they are all plastic and are loud as shit. They do last tho as long as you don't put a controller on them. With more expensive fans you are getting motors that are made to run at variable speed. If you plan to run controllers on them I would say go for the more expensive ones or take the gamble on a cheaper fan and let people know after you run them 24/7 dialed down for a year or 2 if it was a good buy or not. It's all about helping each other out.

As far as Vortex and buzzing goes. No matter what an Amazon review said im about 12 to 14 fans deep on them over the years and they will still be the only fans I run for lights unless I'm getting the Can Max's. All the others I have tried fail and I can't trust to keep running when I'm not there. I've never had a buzzing issue with my fans. I can't comment on if Vortex changed production in the last 5 years. Maybe that is the case now. They last that long I haven't had to buy new ones in a while.

I understand what you are saying @az2000. You learned the hard way. I too learned that lesson the hard way. I'm just trying to save someone looking for advice on buying equipment time and money in the long run. I'm the type of guy that wants something to last and avoid the headache if a fan goes out then i have to wait 2 to 4 days for a new one or get taxed from the hydroshop cause you need something right then and there. The reg Canfan, Hurricane, Eclipse's (which might not even be around anymore) are basically Fantech fans. Fantech's work great just Vortex is a little better IMO from what I have seen also a little quieter.

Also something to take note of as the size goes up the gap between small and big fans vs cheap and expensive grows. Once you get out of the 6in range it's going to matter a whole lot more.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

How long have you had it? Always wondered about those. Similar to the Vortex S line.

Migrower

Migrower

How long have you had it? Always wondered about those. Similar to the Vortex S line.
About six months running at between 20-75% nonstop since I plugged it in. I’m like you. Wanted quality and after weeks of research it was the ac or the vortex I litterally flipped my phone for the pick. As you can see it landed on the ac. I also got the black insulated 6” venting tubing that they sell and it’s really good too. High quality products for sure.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That's way overkill for a fan controller. The reason your fan is loud is the type of motor they use in the fan. Cheap ass fans use cheap ass motors. Why it buzzes when you cut the power to them. I've used vortex fans for years and they have zero issues even using the cheap ass 11 dollar fan controllers on them. everything from 6in to 12 in. Don't skimp on fans. Some of my vortex's have been running for 5 to 6 years 24/7 with zero issues. Save 100 bucks on a fan to buy a 120 dollar fan controller so it doesnt buzz?

Also to add if your fan starts buzzing when you put it on a controller you are basically killing the life of your fan and that fan will never work right lowering the power.

Active Air and all those cheap fans are shit. They work but they go out and def aren't the cfm they are rated for and are noisey.. Stick with people like Can, Eclipse and Vortex. Tried and true workhorses for a reason.

I have 2 6” and 1 4” green active air inline fans and the active air speed controllers running 24/7 for over 5 years now. They are almost as quiet as mt 6” hyper fans with the included digital speed controller.

The air flow drowns out most of the fan noise anyway.

A duct muffler quieted things down some when i had close neighbors at the old house.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I have 2 6” and 1 4” green active air inline fans and the active air speed controllers running 24/7 for over 5 years now. They are almost as quiet as mt 6” hyper fans with the included digital speed controller.

The air flow drowns out most of the fan noise anyway.

A duct muffler quieted things down some when i had close neighbors at the old house.

For sure ducting also has a lot to do with the noise. I used to wrap my fans in blankets, run insulated ducting, and run mufflers when i had to at a spot.

You are lucky. I have an old black 6in active air that is still going. On and off use for quite some years. All the green ones i have bought have failed. All with the same bearing screeching.

BigCube

BigCube

I have always had them level. Never thought about it though. Maybe it helped.

I'm sure it did. Most things with bearings are designed to be operated in a specific orientation for optimal life span. All the manuals I've seen mention to make sure they are level.

Optimally though all moving things break down. It's part of "doing buisness". Just think of how much you would have to spend if you had to buy the cannabis instead of growing it lol.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm sure it did. Most things with bearings are designed to be operated in a specific orientation for optimal life span. All the manuals I've seen mention to make sure they are level.

Optimally though all moving things break down. It's part of "doing buisness". Just think of how much you would have to spend if you had to buy the cannabis instead of growing it lol.

I checked the instructions and no mention of mounting level. Does show mounting options. The bracket can be mounted 2 ways.

I thought about this some and maybe its dust that takes them out? I filter dust. Not much passes through any of my fans.

BigCube

BigCube

I checked the instructions and no mention of mounting level. Does show mounting options. The bracket can be mounted 2 ways.

I thought about this some and maybe its dust that takes them out? I filter dust. Not much passes through any of my fans.

You're right actually. I just looked at mine and 2 older ones and they dont say anything about it. Not sure where I got that from, my bad.

az2000

az2000

They never mention buzz either. Unless that's one of the Grey Poupon fans mentioned previously (wink), I really wouldn't expect the instructions to be that cranial (distinguishing the type of bearing used, which orientation produces a safe operating load on the bearing. It does make a difference whether it's blowing down or up, against gravity or with it.). It's very likely that mounting any other way than horizontally would affect bearing life. Even more likely they won't say anything about that because they like selling more fans (the same way they like selling buzzing controllers.). If the choice is between "because we use radial bearings with a thrust sleeve, the alternate mount orientation is not advised" and saying nothing, I guarantee they're saying nothing. Why would they point out a negative? (When they won't even accurately describe the "controller?").

In other words: If they really engineered it for that, I'm pretty sure they would play that up.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

They never mention buzz either. Unless that's one of the Grey Poupon fans mentioned previously (wink), I really wouldn't expect the instructions to be that cranial (distinguishing the type of bearing used, which orientation produces a safe operating load on the bearing. It does make a difference whether it's blowing down or up, against gravity or with it.). It's very likely that mounting any other way than horizontally would affect bearing life. Even more likely they won't say anything about that because they like selling more fans (the same way they like selling buzzing controllers.). If the choice is between "because we use radial bearings with a thrust sleeve, the alternate mount orientation is not advised" and saying nothing, I guarantee they're saying nothing. Why would they point out a negative? (When they won't even accurately describe the "controller?").

In other words: If they really engineered it for that, I'm pretty sure they would play that up.

Yeah cant argue that logic. But my active air controllers only buzz noticibly if turned down very low. Otherwise i dont hear them over the air flow.

And none of them even rattle or vibrate at all. I think dust buildup is the enemy.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

thanks for all the posts above, slowly absorbing it all.

in the end, i'm after honesty - and not asking more from you (fellow brothers & sisters) here, but more so the advertisment of the various brands with their claims. seeking practical experience/feedback, rather than commercials.

i'd rather spend good money on a product which matches my weighted expectations, rather than skimp and end up with 'wrong' p;product.

az2000

az2000

Yeah cant argue that logic. But my active air controllers only buzz noticeably if turned down very low. Otherwise i dont hear them over the air flow.

I think this might be a case of what constitutes "very low," or "noticeable." Some people are more sensitive to noise. It could be more noticeable to some people at higher speeds.

And, if someone only needs to exchange the tent's full volume every 5 minutes (minimum air exchange, without heat/humidity concerns), that can be lower speed than what you consider "very low." I.e., someone in a cold climate conserving heat & humidity. I.e., you might think "I would never run the fan that low, so it doesn't matter." But, some people might. And, it definitely does start buzzing even at moderately reduced speeds too. (I should do a video with mine, showing the difference.).

I don't think anyone's been talking about rattling and such. Just the electrical buzz which the common dimmer-like speed controller is known to cause (in the traditional exhaust fans at least. The rapid on/off pulsing it reportedly uses as a way to slow the fan down.).

I should try to take my traditional exhaust fan apart and see if it's possible to pack the bearings (or, if they're sealed). Usually bearings are standardized. It might be possible to replace them when they go bad. (FYI: someone on Trollitup has done it. <<link. It looks a little involved. But, only cost $10 USD for the bearings. If someone had time on their hands, that would be a good way to save money compared to buying a new fan. It looks like the bearings are sealed. So, I don't think dust would be that much of a problem. Also means they can't be greased as a maintenance activity. ).

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I rock a 10" Q-max fan hooked up to an ITC-308 digital temp controller. I literally cant even hear it running when it's on, my oscillating circulation fans are louder.

Check out these Q-max fans if silence is a priority. They are a bit more expensive but the built in muffler works as advertised. And they have built in speed controllers on the bigger ones which is awesome.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I might be jaded since I have an 8in, 10in and a 12in all blowing right over my head above my computer haha

Top Bottom