Air curing have you heard of it?

• Thread starter Teramavolta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Teramavolta

Air cure - Curing before drying by maintaining the temperature and humidity @ around lows 60s while working your way up to mid 70s to finish the drying process.

This slow process allows chlorophyl to break down properly and mellow the smoke out.

I've never done it nor will be able to because I am not able to maintain the precise environmental control needed to perform this process.

Also with this air cure a jar cure is still needed to complete your harvesting process.

I'm just curious if anyone has heard or can do this properly?

Also I know you can get by with other methods but in theory this is the way to take the most time with your crop to ensure maximum quality.

Cheers Farmers

T-

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Never heard of it, but last year may have begun it at harvest. Had to put all in the basement, but it was in the 50s as I recall, RH tends to remain in the 60%-70% range, depending on time of year and outdoor RH. But I was very afraid of losing the crop to mold due to these conditions, which were fairly uncontrollable, so I repurposed one of our bedrooms into a drying room.

G

gdbud

I did something similar to that with my last grow.
I placed my freshly cut buds on screens in side my sealed cabinet and placed a Caliber III hygrometer on each screen to measurer the moisture at that elevation. Then I turned off the lights and fan.
I then would open the door 2 to 3 times a day to let in fresh air and check the hygrometers and buds. After a 7 days the moisture in the cabinet was reading around 70%. Then the buds whent into jars for futher drying/curring and once a day I would remove the buds from the jars for 1/2 hour a day for another week untill the moisture stablized around 62 -64% RH.
By air curring inside my cabinet for the first week my buds now smell like they have been curring in jars for two months, but in only two weeks.

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

What you describe pryor to jarring is simply drying, not curing

deadcat

deadcat

I dry my stuff out on plain white peaces of paper in the closet, it's about 60-70 degrees. Get's dry to the touch after 4 days, you can squeeze it and it crumbles in your fingers (that's how I like it).

B

BurningTree87

I had only heard of curing buds in the jars. That is until i got the Oaksterdam University text book. Apparently this is the best way to cure your buds and a true cure comes before you dry (weird). I am testing it right now. It says to keep the temp low and the humidity in the 50s. Once humidity reaches the 40% the curing stops and the drying begins. I have a small closet that i can keep between 45% and 55% humidity without the use of my dehumidifier. I chopped about 5 plants 9 days ago and they still seem rather moist. i left the plants intact and just hung them upside down (only trimming off the big fan leaves). Im trying to make this drying process as long as possible as the Marijuana Grower's Handbook says its well worth the wait. will continue the process and let u guys know how it turns out.

G

Green Supreme

I like making the plant catabolize everything before the plant dies. With no green leaves, chlorophyll is not an issue. After 4 days hanging they taste as good as at 5 weeks in jars. I often find that the fresher buds have nicer highs as more of the terpenes are still present. Good luck. Peace GS

B

bigAl25

Trying new ways is always interesting, but I have to tell you that the hang dry for a week/cardboard box/air vents, then mason jar curing for 2 or 3 months has produced the best smelling tasting buds I have ever done. I even get compliments from my son that my buds beat what he can purchase. I'm a very proud dad, and believe that DJ short wrote up this dry/cure process.

the rrock

the rrock

Trying new ways is always interesting, but I have to tell you that the hang dry for a week/cardboard box/air vents, then mason jar curing for 2 or 3 months has produced the best smelling tasting buds I have ever done. I even get compliments from my son that my buds beat what he can purchase. I'm a very proud dad, and believe that DJ short wrote up this dry/cure process.

i would have to agree as i use this method also pops

1gne

I like making the plant catabolize everything before the plant dies. With no green leaves, chlorophyll is not an issue. After 4 days hanging they taste as good as at 5 weeks in jars. I often find that the fresher buds have nicer highs as more of the terpenes are still present. Good luck. Peace GS

makes sence. ive been acidently doing the same

Latest posts

Top Bottom