• Thread starter jah_hoover
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sedate

sedate

GanjaGardner said:
100 da veg

100?!

Not to be a dick dude, I mean in a certain absolute sense that plant certainly looks nice - but a plain hydrobucket will put out a plant that size in 30 or 40 days easy-peasy.

herbalizor said:
But from my experience and others I know. The Airpots are a once only event

That's actually kinda what I've heard too.

symbiote420

symbiote420

used to grow in buckets, switched to 7gal. bags folded to 4 gal., then to wide 5gal. pots since using roots pots and smart pots (3 & 5gal.) my plants are doing alot better since using - especially with the smart pots when i dump the soil after harvest no tangled,rootbound growth looks more like i dug up an outdoor plant.

symbiote420

symbiote420

used buckets, switched to 7gal. bags rolled down to 4gal.,went to wide 5gal. pots all of these had roots tangled in them since using roots/smart pots (3 or 5gal.) i've noticed when dumping the soil my rootballs look more like i dug up an outdoor plant (and when using atleast 25% coco or more my roots are fibrous,and thick like a/v cords)

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Originally Posted by herbalizor
But from my experience and others I know. The Airpots are a once only event
That's actually kinda what I've heard too.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I'm just the messenger here, but that's just not right. Airpots are reusable. Even w/o knowing anything about them one could reasonably assume that there would be no market for them if they were a one shot deal- not at their price. Are you sure we're talking about the same product?

100?!

Not to be a dick dude, I mean in a certain absolute sense that plant certainly looks nice - but a plain hydrobucket will put out a plant that size in 30 or 40 days easy-peasy.
No prob and I don't feel put down by the comment but I do feel you skirted around the point of my post-> With hundreds of available holes to anchor wire hooks into, LSTing is a quick, easy and very precise process. Of course, that isn't why we use airpots but it's an extra little perk that I thought worth mentioning.

I don't know if I could achieve the same structure in 30-40 days or how easy-peasy it would be, but if speed and size were a primary concern I'd grow in an oxygen rich, H20 substrate, juice my plants w/ synthetics and hit em' up w/ some PGR's, but that's not my thing.

Do you grow organically or work w/ soil web principles?
Have the plants you're talking about been topped, lollipopped, LSTd and judiciously pruned @30-40 das?
How many total cuts have you taken from yours @ 30 or 40 days? How many from the growth tips up top?

The 12 gal is an experiment. I'm interested in seeing what the rhizosphere looks like w/ an older plant that, in this case, was a mother that came out of a 5 gal square. The airpot is probably more useful in our endeavor in the smaller sizes and w/ 3-4 graduated transplants depending upon strain and program.

sedate

sedate

GanjaGardener said:
Sorry, I'm just the messenger here, but that's just not right. Airpots are reusable. Even w/o knowing anything about them one could reasonably assume that there would be no market for them if they were a one shot deal- not at their price. Are you sure we're talking about the same product?

I think you misunderstand - as in - peepz that try these are usually pretty unimpressed and switch back to a different method - "once-only event" - at least that's how I took it.

GanjaGardener said:
I don't know if I could achieve the same structure in 30-40 days or how easy-peasy it would be, but if speed and size were a primary concern I'd grow in an oxygen rich, H20 substrate, juice my plants w/ synthetics and hit em' up w/ some PGR's, but that's not my thing.

Now you're talking!

GanjaGardener said:
Do you grow organically or work w/ soil web principles?

See above. ^^^^ That's how I roll. :)

GanjaGardener said:
Have the plants you're talking about been topped, lollipopped, LSTd and judiciously pruned @30-40 das?
How many total cuts have you taken from yours @ 30 or 40 days? How many from the growth tips up top?

I will clarify a bit and say that when I think "30 - 40 days" I was sort of thinking from a well rooted clone in a 4x4ish rockwool block into a netpot in a h2o substrate - so not a like a bare cutting or anything. Obviously that would add a good few weeks.

But I think a rooted 8" tall clone of decent genetics, in a hydrobucket or something similar, could easily get that big in 40 days under a hood and a 600w MH. Absolutely.

But you're talking 100 days. Which sounds insane to me. If I vegged a plant for that long it'd be one hell of a mess.

Anyway - Uh - As far as training I'm usually a little sloppy - FIM them out the gate, as soon as they are rooted into net pots - and FIM again and again and again every time the new growth heals throws out a few new tips. So a dozen times maybe across the tops over the course of a few weeks.

So maybe 12 - 18ish tops across a 4x4 canopy best case - 3x3ish maybe more reliably - somewhat strain dependent but I try to pick strains that grow well like this and get nice and bushy. Lanky and stretchy strains don't stay in my garden.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

OK. I get all of that but what was the point of your OP? To confirm a report that some people don't like airpots so they only use them once? that airpots apparently suck? (or so you've heard?) That yer growing chops are better than mine based upon a picture? What's the big hang-up about 100 days? Do you assume that 100 days is my standard veg time? Do you make it a habit of going out of your way to critique others and make meaningless comparisons that have no connection to the topic or my OP? I think you get off on irritating people, don't you?

M

MTgrower

I'm bout to do a run using these from start to finish. Seedlings are starting directly in the 0.8L pots. Then will finish in the 5 gallon size.

I experimented with the Smart Pots/ Roots fabric pots. Those things suck IMO. Hope the Air Pots come through. If not, live and learn.

I'm in soil too.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Enjoy Using Smart Pots

You won't notice a difference between a Smart pot and Pot X if the roots don't touch the pot. The size pot you use depends on your veg. If you veg a plant for 1-2 weeks from a rooted clone and use a 15 gallon pot you won't see any difference, but if you put that plant into a 3-5 gallon pot and veg until it takes off, week or 2 you will see the difference that air pruned roots provide. You want to flower the plant when the roots hit the sides and not before, then while budding the plant is enjoying roots that are working at their full potential or at least fuller than those wrapping around Pot X's interior while the remainder of the root ball is relatively root free. Just my .02$

mal

M

MTM

My new sunlight supply catalog has about 5 or 6 new brands of smart pots,the ones HTG sells are the best Ive seen for the cash they are taller and not as big around, and they have handles also.10 of the 3 gallons are 25 bucks and they are as nice or nicer than smart pots.They even have a square breathable pots in the new catalog.I use the root pots or the HTG brand,they are just a shit load cheaper when you buy a few at a time.I think 1, 3 gallon smart pot is about 5 bucks now,my grey root pots will last just as long for me and the top dont try to fold over...peace

green punk

green punk

I'm bout to do a run using these from start to finish. Seedlings are starting directly in the 0.8L pots. Then will finish in the 5 gallon size.

I experimented with the Smart Pots/ Roots fabric pots. Those things suck IMO. Hope the Air Pots come through. If not, live and learn.

I'm in soil too.

Ive ran a similar run as you are planning. If space for veg is not an issue, it is better to skip the graduating when using the airpots and go into a larger one right out of the gate. I suggest you start with 12.5L. Reason; for the plants to truly maximize production in the airpots the root system needs to hit the holes and dry/prune and lateral branch. This occurs very quickly in the .8L pots. So much that you'll realize upon transplant that you have a solid mass of roots. When you transplant the roots are so thoroughly trained that they have a hard time growing into the fresh soil/coco. They will eventually it just slow. The larger pot will sustain a 4 to 6 week veg and serve you well until harvest.
In side by side with Urkles with the AP 12.5L vs a standard 3 gal nursery pot with GO Nutes and coco based soil recipe, the airpot out performed the standard by 25 to 30%. The airpots will use more water and nutes because the root system is so vast due the increased availability of O2.

As far tying branches down. We tried tying through the holes (pain inthe ass). Ended up taking shock cord (available at ace etc) or bungees and tying them around the pot. The outer pointing cones are perfect to wrap around. Then tie off branch down to cord. To bring the branch down you just move the cord down to the next course or two of the outward pointing cones.

My .02.

Good Luck, Grow Hard

sedate

sedate

ganjagardener said:
OK. I get all of that but what was the point of your OP? To confirm a report that some people don't like airpots so they only use them once? that airpots apparently suck? (or so you've heard?) That yer growing chops are better than mine based upon a picture? What's the big hang-up about 100 days? Do you assume that 100 days is my standard veg time? Do you make it a habit of going out of your way to critique others and make meaningless comparisons that have no connection to the topic or my OP? I think you get off on irritating people, don't you?

Um. Wow.

Seriously dude if I vegged something for 100 fucking days I'd have a plant 6 feet wide and 6 feet tall - at minimum.

Anything as slow as you imply that airpot would be is a waste of time and resources for at least me - but arguably anyone operating under a plant limit.

I'm not really sure how I irritated you, other than to make observation that for 100 days your plant at post #84 - like I said, looks nice in an absolute sense - but clearly isn't very impressive measured up to a number of other grow methods - and I think you can peruse any number of grow diaries, the UC and MPB forums, etc., to confirm that without much of a doubt.

And - I'm not sure how I was denigrating your growing chops when I was endorsing your alternative!

Anyway - point was that if you really vegged that for 100 days, then it's hardly an advertisement for the grow method, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Like the herbalizor said - these things are usually a one-grow-event - and yes - the idea behind the OP was to confirm that - as I've heard it like two dozen times in the last six months or so.

So get over yourself jeeze.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Thanks for the insight. Wish I could say I learned something new from it. I can see you still don't get (or aren't interested in), my post because you seem intent on discussing anything but the simple technique I was pointing out. You do have a talent for talking out of both sides of your mouth. I'm still trying to figure out how sharing a simple tip could lead to someone I don't know telling me to get over myself.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Sorry Folks-

I've been goaded.

This is OT- wasn't grown in an airpot, but I'm posting in hopes that this guy will get off my back Don't think he's truly interested in topic and will prolly come up w/ something like, "jeez dude. that wasn't grown in an airpot. doesn't that like sorta prove that airpots don't perform so good? that's all I been tryin' to tell u dude. yeah and 8 weeks veg is like way, way too long. if i vegged for 8 weeks my plants would be a real mess- like at least twice as big as yers dude. 4-5 LBs? i'd get at least 12 LBs outta mine, but pretty nice plant anyways, in an absolute sense." <- getta grip dude

Here's Grandma. Same strain, same pheno, same cut. These shots are from last year's outdoor season.

Chem88

Chem88 2

Chem88 3

Illmind

Illmind

uhhh green punk. have u not heard of the ole smart pot in a milk crate method? milk crate makes it a lil easier to tie. also i've heard cap has gro pots now and like someone said they are taller with handles. y ppl making a deal about cleaning em i do the same to the reg ass ones too. mal may be on to something i'm gonna do a 3 gal 5 gal and 7 gal smart same veg and clone and position them in similar lighting intensity and c what's really good. thx for the idea mal.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

^^Chem 88 (Ol' Hawaiian Diesel)^^
kickass if you have a taste for chems and diesels.

I'm going from sponge plug->1L -> 7.5L -> 12.5L airpots for the most part come next run. One goal, in our grow style, is to get mycos, chitins, P and other good things-> root tips as often as possible w/o going beyond the point of diminishing returns. 3 applications (ergo 3 transplants) seems to be the sweet spot. I'm expecting the increased surface area of the airpot rhizosphere, (fact) will buy an increase in vigor etc along the way.

Sorry about any misunderstandings and/or b/s that I may have (likely) factored into. Wouldn't be the first time that something that was apparent to everyone else, went right over my head.
Best of luck w/ the container of your choice. Peace.

M

MTgrower

Ive ran a similar run as you are planning. If space for veg is not an issue, it is better to skip the graduating when using the airpots and go into a larger one right out of the gate. I suggest you start with 12.5L. Reason; for the plants to truly maximize production in the airpots the root system needs to hit the holes and dry/prune and lateral branch. This occurs very quickly in the .8L pots. So much that you'll realize upon transplant that you have a solid mass of roots. When you transplant the roots are so thoroughly trained that they have a hard time growing into the fresh soil/coco. They will eventually it just slow. The larger pot will sustain a 4 to 6 week veg and serve you well until harvest.
In side by side with Urkles with the AP 12.5L vs a standard 3 gal nursery pot with GO Nutes and coco based soil recipe, the airpot out performed the standard by 25 to 30%. The airpots will use more water and nutes because the root system is so vast due the increased availability of O2.

As far tying branches down. We tried tying through the holes (pain inthe ass). Ended up taking shock cord (available at ace etc) or bungees and tying them around the pot. The outer pointing cones are perfect to wrap around. Then tie off branch down to cord. To bring the branch down you just move the cord down to the next course or two of the outward pointing cones.

My .02.

Good Luck, Grow Hard

Thanks for the input Green Punk. I'm going to go ahead and see how things turn out. I'm in no hurry. Glad to see you had improved results with the air pots.

The reason for the .8L pots is to replace seedling trays. I'm always experimenting and playing and tweaking my setup.

Thanks again.

M

MTgrower

I use these > http://geoplanter.com/

I tried them all, but Geoplanter is by far the best. I am using 45 gals right now, working great! No equal out there.....

These are the first fabric pots that I've see that have any kind of rigid structure. This is a big improvement IMO.

You have grown with the Air Pots? What did you dislike about them compared to your preferred fabric pot.

W

watercooled

I've got both the Geo and smart pots. The Geo's are thicker fabric and "feel" more heavy duty. The real reason I prefer geopots is...

Our 7 gallon geo pots have handles and velcro. No more super stressing when transplanting from 7 gallons indoor to 30+ gallons :-)

sedate

sedate

I have no idea why I can't let this clown get the last word.

ganjagardener said:
Sorry Folks-

I've been goaded.

This is OT- wasn't grown in an airpot, but I'm posting in hopes that this guy will get off my back,

If it isn't in a airpot and you're busy defending airpots and attacking me for attacking airpots then why are you posting total non-sequiters and eating up 1/3 of a page on a thread? Are you proving you know how to grow? I already told you that implicitly and explicitly. Open your eyes and read dude.

ganjagardener said:
that's all I been tryin' to tell u dude. yeah and 8 weeks veg is like way, way too long. if i vegged for 8 weeks my plants would be a real mess- like at least twice as big as yers dude. 4-5 LBs? i'd get at least 12 LBs outta mine

You really are a smart mouth. And not too good at counting either.

8 weeks is 56 days. You posted 100. At the growth rates typical of cannabis - methinks that'd be quite a bit of a difference. And the only reason I went into my grow method was because you asked!

And - for the third time - I think your plant (and now plants) look nice in an absolute sense - but for a dozen other growing methods it isn't that impressive.

Since you appear to be an outdoor grower and you live in Cali with the legal environment there - this probably isn't as a big a deal for you.

Anyone growing indoors or under a plant limit will find airpots a grow method that is sorely lacking.

That's all that was said dude - like other more senior posters said before me - airpots are a silly fad and experienced growers use them - once.

Latest posts

Top Bottom