Airy buds pls help

• Thread starter rkeoftheyr99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Power OG

Power OG

Just got done with my 25 days sublimination ...Awesome smoke ! now to do a whole harvest this way would have to throw out all the food outta the freezer.. Oh well don't need to eat anyway !
Lmao! I know, need whole extra freezer just for drying. I'm very glad you enjoyed my friend! Respect

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sounds like maybe high water content in the plant tissue. What medium were they in and how do you feed? If checked on a brix meter, I bet they were relatively low at harvest. Also, how close were the lights?
This was my very first thought.

Also, drying at 40% RH is too low, you could really ruin good smoke drying it that low. I don't think that can cause airiness, though.

ralphy

ralphy

Have you grown with this strain before?

High water content sounds the most plausible suggestion so far. Fungus would not be able to reduce the biomass that rapidly. 5 days is not very long.

Grow Gold

Grow Gold

If the buds were fairly dense when you chopped them down. My guess is the mistake was done during your trim, dry, and cure process.

How did you trim and dry the plants?

Did you do a wet or dry trim?

Did you hang the buds from the stem for drying or cut them off and dried them on a drying rack?

How many days before the buds were mostly dry?

A lot of these types of problems come from mistakes from one of these areas.

Generally, for your room conditions 40% humidity, 80F. You would want to chop them down from the bottom stock. Pull 50-75% of the large fan leaves and hang the whole plant upside down. If you have a fairly large plant, I would chop the plant up into 2-3 sections but still maintaining a large portion of the lower larger stems.

This helps you slow down the drying process. When it comes to cannabis, you want to try and slow down the drying process as much as possible. If you're running into lower humidity and hotter conditions, you want to use the water within the plant to slow down the drying process.

You can also try raising the humidity to about 50-60% and lower the temps to about 70-75F

Hope this helps

Doc.

Dunge

Dunge

High water content sounds the most plausible suggestion so far.
I just don't think this is likely.
Having never measured it, I'm going out on a limb in asserting that the water content of a plant does not change much between states of full saturation and near wilt.
This could be demonstrated by weighing some pruning veg from dry and fully wet plants, oven dry them, and calculate water content as a function of weight loss.
I'm willing to bet both cases would be within 5% of each other.
Prove me wrong.
I'd do it myself, but using the kitchen oven to dry pot is frowned upon in my house.

Set oven to low heat or 150 deg. F
Weigh fresh veg.
Place in oven for an hour or until weight fails to change over time.
Wet weight minus dry weight = water weight.
Water weight / wet weight x 100= % water.

Think I got that right.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

Just got done with my 25 days sublimination ...Awesome smoke ! now to do a whole harvest this way would have to throw out all the food outta the freezer.. Oh well don't need to eat anyway !
Now that wouldn't work for this munchies guy,.

Purpz

Purpz

I just don't think this is likely.
Having never measured it, I'm going out on a limb in asserting that the water content of a plant does not change much between states of full saturation and near wilt.
This could be demonstrated by weighing some pruning veg from dry and fully wet plants, oven dry them, and calculate water content as a function of weight loss.
I'm willing to bet both cases would be within 5% of each other.
Prove me wrong.
I'd do it myself, but using the kitchen oven to dry pot is frowned upon in my house.

Set oven to low heat or 150 deg. F
Weigh fresh veg.
Place in oven for an hour or until weight fails to change over time.
Wet weight minus dry weight = water weight.
Water weight / wet weight x 100= % water.

Think I got that right.

A simple search suggests the water content of buds is around 70-75%. By the time you've finished drying, it's closer to 10%. Didn't expect that!

C

ColoradoOG

Density can be impacted by genetics, environmental factors, plant health, canopy maintence(not cleaning up enough) and possibly pulled to early

Top Bottom