Alaskan Humus suppliers... and.... others-

• Thread starter MrTwister
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MrTwister

Anyone have a line on suppliers for Alaskan glacier humus? I'm looking to get about 40 yards which is a good two huge truckloads. Is customs and California agricultural authorities cool with just trucking it over the borders to California?

Also- looking for sources of

Peat Moss
Coco Coir
Perlite
Vermiculture
Pumice
Earth Worm Castings
Compost
Humus
Dolomite Lime (elemental Calcium and Magnesium Carbonate)
Gypsum (Ca and SO4)
Oyster Shell Powder (CaCO3)

Aside from the PH'ing amendments, I need a good two truckloads minimum of each. I need like 150 yards of peat. All in NorCal. I can hardly afford the tax on this stuff if I get it the "easy way". I need to find the ripe vessel-- hit the source. I can do the shipping logistics... I just need a warm body to sell this stuff to me at bottom dollar, right at the excavation site. Of course perlite is excavated from the lush tiny foam ball mountains of honah lee.

L

LightDep530

I don't know about some of these items but you can get bullk worm castings and compost easy enough. Almost every area has a supplier of these. Bulk compost can be a little difficult to get a good quality. I suggest getting an OMRI certified compost to make sure there is not residual herbicide or other strange chemicals. You could then use a more expensive inoculant grade compost to make an extract to use to liven up your bulk compost and ward off things like pythium and fusarium.
Alaskan humus is used as and inoculant often times and it contains large amounts of peat. Most people use it sparingly and use and extract or AACT to transfer the biology from the humus to the grow medium. Peaceful Valley Garden Supply charges about $500 for two yards are their arctic humus. 40 yards is a lot of that stuff.
In norcal there are a lot of local outfits that supply soil mixes mulches etc and they mix soils on site. They have bulk lime , soft rock phosphate forest humus etc for sale and have trucking.
Good luck. Sorry if I was giving you information you didn't need or already know.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No sales tax in Oregon, but if you truck it in you're going to have to go through an inspection stop. I don't know that any of these products cannot be sourced in California. May I suggest substituting rice hulls for the perlite? They're bagged for animal bedding, and while that type sprouts I believe I've been told that there is an outfit in Mendocino that sells treated hulls that don't sprout.

T

tomsawyer

For Alaskan Humus call Soil Health Solutions in Petaluma, CA

BulkSoilGuy

BulkSoilGuy

Contact me at [email protected]

I would be glad to arrange all your soil needs. I have direct sources for all things you have listed here or know who does. I would be glad to help guide you in the best direction at the least. Like perlite in Norcal, your best source is NorCal Perlite. They have better pricing than Supreme and are easier to deal with. Or for coco coir check out floweroflifecoco.com, those guys are providing top quality coir that compares to the $30/bag stuff and they have 2CF bags for under $10. They also have pure worm castings for around $20/bag that compare to the $30-$40/bag castings. Pumice and compost are those things that are just cheapest to get locally is you can find the source. Shipping these cheap items make them not so cheap. The PHing items are easy to come by also. I can send you full pallets of anything no problem. Look forward to talking soil soon!

Latest posts

Top Bottom